Teen's Utopian Society ~ bookclub discussion

TUS Archives > Your Thoughts - DELIRIUM

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren, The Dreamer (last edited Jun 30, 2011 05:18AM) (new)

Lauren (lauren-sky) | 513 comments Mod
Please post your reviews or comments on Delirium here!

message 2: by Lauren, The Dreamer (new)

Like most other people, the sole reason I started reading 'Delirium' was because of Lauren Oliver's 'Before I Fall'. But honestly, I much prefer her first book compared to this one.

For me, this book provided a lot of — and I do mean A LOT of — eye-rolling moments and not enough room for suspense. Everything was predictable (apart from the end, but I'll get to that later) and cheesy. Like Romeo and Juliet minus the conflict scenes.

Lena reminds me of Bella Swan... unbearingly ordinary and naïve. Both of them lack that OOMPH that a protagonist needs, thus pushing the spotlight onto their lover-boys, which in this case, is Alex.

Like all male-leads, Alex is: handsome, mysterious, brave, tender and sticks up for his girl, no matter what the risks are. Alex seems even more agitating than Edward Cullen though. A few reasons is that he seems equally as naïve as Lena, and he seems so shallow. From the start he loved Lena. From the start he wanted to obey her. Another thing that has occurred to me is HOW ON EARTH can he trick those 'ruthless, strict' regulators into thinking he was Cured? Even in this world, a simple scar does not prove that you are 'one of them'. The idea of Invalids is pretty vague as well. Along with sympathizers and resistors, Oliver leaves us wondering just exactly who these people are.

Now... The ending. The final chapter is action packed. It's thrilling. And it certainly surprised me. I thought that — like the rest of the book — the ending would be some kind of cliché, but it wasn't. I didn't expect what happened to happen. There is no lead up to it. Just BAM! and the dirt is gone (sorry for that). Because of the unexpected twist, I finally started to like this book. But, alas, it was already too late. An eye-catcher in the last few paragraphs is not good enough, even for Oliver.

To be honest, the part I was looking forward to most was when Lena would get Cured. I knew that this wasn't really gonna happen, but the idea of her foolish mind getting cured was too good to ask for.

Oh, and another thing that I found wrong in 'Delirium' is that even though it is in the future (as it is a dystopian novel, afterall), it seems as though the world hasn't really progressed. Apart from the 'cure', the world hasn't changed. There is no mention of cool high-tech gadgets, and they're still using dingy radios. And why an electric fence when you can use laser beams? Duh!!!

What's really sad is that this book couldve had potential, but it was easily sorted into the pile mediocre books. As I mentioned before, the best part was the ending. That's all that it's worth.

message 3: by Haley (new)

Haley I'm not done yet, but the book is set in the future. When we think of the future, we think hover craft and robots. But in Delirium, there is less access to technology then there is now.

message 4: by Haley (new)

Haley I find myself skipping pages or counting the pages until Alex comes back. Whenever Alex leaves, the book gets intolerably boring.

message 5: by Nikkie (new)

Nikkie (LimitlessNikkie) | 57 comments I picked up this book because I'd read Before I Fall though in truth I didn't really like that book. It had moments that were good so it was a hope this book would be an improvment. It was not.

I loved the concept and even after reading this book think the idea is great. The auther had a great concept that in my opinion she wasted. The characters had no depth to me and there was not enough details, she had all the parts to make an interesting story, a wounded heroine, a rebel hero and a unique society but it went to waste in this book with lack luster writting that made getting to the action packed suprise ending a chore.

message 6: by Haley (new)

Haley Okay so I just finished and...oh my god.

message 7: by Haley (new)

Haley So what do you guys think, is he actually dead?

message 8: by Lauren, The Dreamer (new)

Beth wrote: "So what do you guys think, is he actually dead?"

LOL, this may sound queer, but I do want him to be dead. But he probably isn't.

message 9: by Haley (new)

Haley No, he's most definitely in the Crypts. Problem is, they're going to know he's not cured and then attempt to cure him so even is he does escape/is broken out, he won't love Lena.
He has to be in the Crypts because there was no use for that chapter where he took her there looking for her mom. It was just a way to introduce the crypts, their creepiness, and how hard it would be to break out.

message 10: by Nikkie (new)

Nikkie (LimitlessNikkie) | 57 comments Lauren wrote: "Beth wrote: "So what do you guys think, is he actually dead?"

LOL, this may sound queer, but I do want him to be dead. But he probably isn't."

I agree it was so powerful at the end when he gave himself up I think I'd feel a bit cheated if he magically just showed up later. She would make such a tragic heroine if they just left him as a rest in peace with her finding her mom.

message 11: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Lauren wrote: "Like most other people, the sole reason I started reading 'Delirium' was because of Lauren Oliver's 'Before I Fall'. But honestly, I much prefer her first book compared to this one.

For me, this b..."

I agree with most of the stuff you said about the beginning/middle of the book. I, however, unlike you disliked it enough that I didn't even get to the end! After hearing it's the best part I feel inclined to pick it up again...but I probably won't ever get around to it.

message 12: by Haley (new)

Haley I just don't want her to fall in love with someone else in Pandemonium.