Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Group Reads and Challenges > July Group Read - Purity's Passion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana (new)

Dana (dana_fredsti) | 50 comments I say if it ruffled feathers, I wanna read it! Or re-read... Off to order!

message 2: by Karla (new)

Karla | 1668 comments Mod
Huzzah!

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Hum, ruffled feathers...oh yeah, I'm reading it and the other 2 in the series.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 839 comments Mod
Oh well..maybe next month:(

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (chijan) | 35 comments I just ordered the series from Alibris and should get them next week, hopefully. I am looking forward to reading it. Ruffled feathers....well I say bring it on, my kind of book!

message 6: by Karla (new)

Wendy was right about this book - there's trashy stuff aplenty in it (those schoolgirls are a trip!), but it's rather well-written. Enjoying it thoroughly! :)

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (ladyevelynquince) | 240 comments Isn't it fun, though? I truly do not understand what the pearl clutchers were so shocked by. There was no offensive obscenity, just tastefully restrained smut, LOL. Glad to see you're enjoying it.

message 8: by Karla (new)

I'm baffled by the shock and horror as well. I've read plenty that are more raunchy and quite a few that are far worse-written.

Seymour/Michael Butterworth is a pretty good author IMO. Quite a few cuts above other male authors who wrote romance.

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (chijan) | 35 comments Well I'm glad that you all are enjoying your book. I am still waiting for my book to be delivered from Alibris. I feel left out! :(

message 10: by Karla (new)

I just finished it, and LOVED IT! Purity is a dimbulb at times, but gosh darn it, she's so sweet and nice and well-intentioned that I couldn't get annoyed at her. When she found herself really hitting bottom after getting manipulated horribly by....not gonna say who....her despair really made me ache for her. Poor thing. :(

Definitely going to read the others in the trilogy since that last scene has the H/h final reconciliation unspoken. It has a nice closing image, though, very much like how The Jasmine Veil ends. Very classic movie fade to black on a happy scene. :)

message 11: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (chijan) | 35 comments Well I guess I am out of this book read. It is the 11th and I still have not received my books from Alibris and I have company coming in from out of town next Friday. I'm PISSED! Happy reading "Purity's Passion" Maybe next month.

message 12: by Karla (new)

Hopefully you'll get the books soon, Lynn. Maybe read it next month. I'd love to know what you think of it.

message 13: by Karla (last edited Jul 16, 2011 05:06AM) (new)

I realized I hadn't answered the questions...

-This read ruffled many feathers on the Smart Bitches site, what do you think? Was this book offensive and wrong - or completely awesome?
I was expecting it to be far trashier than it was. There was plenty of smut, but it wasn't down and dirty or anything. The author could really write, which took it up a notch from trashy potboiler to something more remarkable.

-Favorite scene/character, least favorite?
He only had a small part, but Tom Harvey, the midshipman Purity spends one night with was a great character. He sort of stood in for all the innocent and brave lads who were sacrificed to stop Napoleon from winnning. His scene with Purity was very good and touching. My least favorite character...hmm, I can't think of anyone I dreaded seeing pop up.

-Where do you think this read falls on the BR scale?
Probably an 8. There's quite a bit of trashy BR elements in there, under the gloss and sheen of a very talented writer.

-This is the first book of a trilogy, after reading this one are you going to continue the series?
Definitely! Glad I already have them. :)

-If you could change anything to make it a better read, what would it be?
I would have the hero Mark Landless be in the story more. He's such a phantom for the first 2/3rds, as Purity goes from peril to peril to peril.

I hope others plan to read this, if not now then in the future sometime. Because it's a cracking good story.

message 14: by Dana (new)

Dana (dana_fredsti) | 50 comments Sigh. Still waiting for my copy.

message 15: by Karla (new)

This is the downside of bodice rippers. Out of print! Slow shipping times. :P

message 16: by Dana (new)

Dana (dana_fredsti) | 50 comments Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "This is the downside of bodice rippers. Out of print! Slow shipping times. :P"

GRUMBLE!!!! I blame all the haters out there...

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) I finally finished this book today!

I was expecting more from the sex scenes after hearing all the trash talk about this book. It had alot of interesting hardships on the main character but other than that it was pretty tame.

I loved the Midshipman Tom Harvey character. I was kind of hoping to see more of him in the book because he was one of the bright sides to this dark book.

I would probably rate this one a 7 on the BR scale. It had a good amount of smut but it was very tame compared to others I have read.

I already have the second book so I will definitely be reading on in this trilogy.

I agree with Karla(Mossy Love Grotto) that we needed to see more of Mark Landess and find out more about his character. He played such a crucial part of Purity's life but was no where to be seen in most of this book. I hope we will see more in the next book.

Overall I enjoyed this book, but I had to put it down several times because I was getting depressed with everything that poor Purity had to go through.

message 18: by Karla (new)

Thanks for reading this, Cheryl! And I agree with you about Tom Harvey. I really liked his character, too, and wished he hadn't been such a small bright spot in a rather trial and tribulationy book.

Also hoping that the second book has a bit more of Mark. I liked his character too--when we saw him!