Smokin' Seventeen (Stephanie Plum, #17) Smokin' Seventeen discussion

what do you think?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charmayne Has anybody else read this book? What do you think? It had it's moments, but I'm still wishing we could get back to the thrill of the first books. I know that sometimes it is only possible to go so far with a series. I think Diesel should be in the mix, if we are having a man bake off! And do you think that she is actually going to take either of the guys on vacation with her? :-)

Amber I am betting she will be taking all the women on vacation with her.

Charmayne I thought about that, can you imagine Grandma Muzur on a vacation? :-)

Denise Lula is going to be going with her.

Deborah O'Malley Lamoree I did not even laugh while reading this book. I thought it fell flat. So I'm hoping the next book is better. I've read all the other books in this series and would laugh out loud several times while reading. So, I was very disapointed.

Denise What about when Lula got gummed? Beep, Beep, Beep, beepbeepbeepbeepbeep?
I laughed.

Amber Denise wrote: "What about when Lula got gummed? Beep, Beep, Beep, beepbeepbeepbeepbeep?
I laughed."

I also laughed. Lula is a nut.

Alice This book was LOL for me too. The last couple not so much.

Denise Is anyone planning on seeing the movie?

Amber Denise wrote: "Is anyone planning on seeing the movie?"

I will rent it. I wont go to the theater to see it.

Denise Because of the casting? Because you don't like books made into movies? Because you don't like movie theatres? Just curious.

Alice A very Hot Six of us are planning an evening of enterainment, cupcakes and martinis:-)

Maritza i didnt find this one as funny as some of her earlier ones. Its almost the same stuff book after book. I LOL at some of the lula parts but thats it.

I think she is going to take the girls on vacation cause there was mention that it will be a girl vacation.

i agree...throw diesel in the mix a little more often. i like his character.
I was suprised to find out that the next book will come out in november....we usually have to wait til the next june.
as far as the movie....i don't like who they picked for stephanie, grandma mazur or lula...so i will probably wait to see it on dvd or netflix

message 14: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee laugh, laugh, laugh. again!

Jacquie I've loved this series from day one! However, I think it is starting to get old and predictable. I knew who the killer was the minute Stephanie's mother mentioned him. I think perhaps 20 should be the end and Stephanie should pick her man. I mean really? I do not know one let alone 2 men who are ok with her indecisive behavior. She's had her fling, time to settle down. Grandma Mazur even disappointed me in this book.

Christine Alice wrote: "A very Hot Six of us are planning an evening of enterainment, cupcakes and martinis:-)"

Thats sound like a fun night. I'll have to get my coworkers together and do something like that too.

Jacquie What a great idea cupcakes & martinis! Don't forget the fried chicken!

Amber Denise wrote: "Because of the casting? Because you don't like books made into movies? Because you don't like movie theatres? Just curious."

I am not into movie theaters. I'm not a people person. I like books. LOL

Stephanie I thought the book was a riot. It only took me about a day and half to finish it. I could not put it down. I can't wait for number 18. I love the way she writes. My son bought me Plum Spooky for Christmas last year and I read it and giggled the whole time. I have since then read all of the Stephanie PLum, Between the Plums and a few of her rereleased novels.
I can't get enough.

Katherine I didn't like this book any better than I did books 13-16. It was not funny, Ranger lost his hotness, Joe acts as if he was neutered and Lula eats her way through the book. The plot is stupid and extremely weak. Even Grandma Mazur is not funny in this book.

Virginia Only halfway through and I knew who did "it" almost from page 100 or so. This book is very thin. Maybe I should just stick with the audio books, because this one has fallen so flat. Time for Stephanie to grow up and get a real life.

rebecca j I want to see her continue the spin off with Diesel as a Main character. I love the slightly paranormal spin with the funniness of her writing. Stephanie needs a new twist to keep it going- just not sure what kind.

Adrienne I think Janet Evanovich lost her passion for this series. This is not what the readers wanted from Stephanie. The character history erased. Lulu reduced to eating through the last four books. The bad guy known by chapter five. The men reduced to robotic emotionless people, waiting for their turn with Stephanie. A curse to make Stephanie have sex with both men. Its insulting to any one's intelligence and her fan base that this book was published. Where are the alpha males? Did they go on vacation and impersonators put in their place. Sad to say this series crashed and burned. Stephanie making a decision has little value now. Nor can the damage be repaired. Ms. Evanovich should have ended this series at book 12.

Adrienne Amber wrote: "Denise wrote: "Is anyone planning on seeing the movie?"

I will rent it. I wont go to the theater to see it."

Nope, have no desire to see the movie. I can't see the people picked as Morelli, Stephanie or Ranger. Rather leave it to my imagination.

Adrienne Charmayne wrote: "Has anybody else read this book? What do you think? It had it's moments, but I'm still wishing we could get back to the thrill of the first books. I know that sometimes it is only possible to go so..."

believed the author lost her passion for this series. Have not seen a good story in this series since thirteen. So much left unsaid from book 12. This book hated it. I can't see Stephanie's decision being of any importance now. Destroyed the characters with the curse thing.

message 26: by Barb (new) - rated it 2 stars

Barb I'm with Adrienne, Evanovich needs to throw away the template and start from scratch.

Adrienne Barb wrote: "I'm with Adrienne, Evanovich needs to throw away the template and start from scratch."

Barb: if you took away the sexual relationships away. What relationships do you see between Steph/Morelli and Stephanie/Ranger? Prior to book 17.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

The Plum series ended for me with Twelve Sharp.

Katherine I hated this book. Evanovich has ruined her characters, the stuff that is suppose to be funny is anything but and if you read the book excerpts you knew who the killer was before reading the book.

Jessica Amber wrote: "I am betting she will be taking all the women on vacation with her."

That's exactly what I was thinking...and will be super ticked if that's the case. She needs to pick a guy!

Jessica Jacquie wrote: "What a great idea cupcakes & martinis! Don't forget the fried chicken!"

and donuts!

Adrienne Jessica wrote: "Amber wrote: "I am betting she will be taking all the women on vacation with her."

That's exactly what I was thinking...and will be super ticked if that's the case. She needs to pick a guy!"

Amber: not likely Stephanie will be picking a guy. Have you read Janet Evanovich's answers to the goodreads questions? Ranger is only suppose to be a complication to Stephanie and Morelli's relationship. Evanovich has chosen to alienate the Ranger fans by using the character as a tease to sell more books. No excerpts for book 18 put out because it would spoil everything.

Katherine I think the series ended with book 12. It is a not so funny mess now.

Adrienne Denise wrote: "Is anyone planning on seeing the movie?"

Denise: nope, gave my last dollars to Stephanie Plum with book 17. I have no desire to see Katherine Heigl as Stephanie Plum

Claire I think the last book should be Stephanie driving off in Uncle Sandor's Buick with Grandma and Bob the Dog