The Atheist Book Club discussion

Atheism + Skepticism > Another "God told me to do it" news story . . .

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lea (new)

Lea (leadfw) Yep, another parent harms their child because "god told them to do it". A father driving from Sweetwater, TX, to Saginaw, TX, strangled his 4 year old son (but did not kill him), then abandoned him by the side of the interstate. The little boy wandered for several hours IN THE ROAD before being found.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/a...

message 2: by Cora (new)

Cora Judd (corajudd) | 163 comments Should be an automatic insanity defense.

message 3: by Lea (new)

Lea (leadfw) I'm not sure -- the last two cases here in TX that I can recall both ended in the defendant being convincted. I guess obeying the voice of god that you hear in your head doesn't carry much weight, even in TX.

message 4: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK Did he say that God told him to do it to get a lighter sentence?

Why an insanity defense - the bloke could have just been a bad tempered, irresponsible father whose lawyer advised him on the 'god made me do it' plea!

message 5: by Lea (new)

Lea (leadfw) In his case, he'd been talking crazy for a while. God's voice is a really easy place for disturbed people to hang their hat.

message 6: by Cora (new)

Cora Judd (corajudd) | 163 comments I was speaking in the broader sense. As in, 'anybody would be insane to hear the voice of God in their head.' Not just murderous fathers!

message 7: by Lea (new)

Lea (leadfw) Good point!

message 8: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 98 comments whether he ever actually heard 'god's voice' or not, there is precedence: "god said to abraham, kill me a son." (that's the dylan version - i'm sure the bible version is a little different) so it's not like god never told anybody to kill their own children.

message 9: by Lea (new)

Lea (leadfw) He seems to do it quite a lot around here.