What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > Oh do Help! Selkies book? [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Ann | 3 comments I remember the main character was a girl who was unaware that she is a selkie until the last couple of chapters in the book. I remember a really distinct part of the book about some sort of ritual that the young men and women would break open pieces of peat moss and the strands of color in the peat moss was supposedly the color of hair that their future husband/wife would be...but other than that the details are really murky. Please help, I remember that I really really loved this book when I read it but I cannot remember the author or the title. Thank you!

message 2: by Emily (last edited Jun 29, 2011 08:52PM) (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 14 comments Oh my gosh, I remember this book too! I read it as a kid, and I've been looking for it ever since! I'm so glad you reminded me of it. I hope we can find it.
At least, I'm pretty sure we're thinking of the same book. Here is what I remember from it. Does any of this sound familiar?

Details I remember:
- The girl always knows exactly what time it is because she is in tune with the tides. At one point she says that the world flipped/changed, but it was really just the tide changing. Her grandfather (?) quizzes her about the time at their first meeting.
- They have a saying there "May the sea folk swim unharmed" because the blood of the sea folk (the Selkies) causes storms. Also, tears cried into the ocean summon the sea folk.
- There is a beautiful silver seal fur at the house that she stays in, but someone mentions that it keeps stretching over time. It turns out that it's her old Selkie skin/fur, and it's been growing with her.
- In the ritual Ruth mentioned, they would have a peat fire and they had to jump over it, and when they broke open the moss the color of the strands was the color of their future spouse's hair.
- Once she realizes she is a Selkie, she grabs her old fur/skin and puts it on, thinking she can go between the worlds at will. Seeing her from the shore, the guy she loves yells out to her that his peat moss strands were silver, which is her hair color. When she realizes she will be turned into a seal forever and therefore lose him, she starts to rip it off, but then begins to bleed, which causes a storm. Her love comes to rescue her from the storm.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 14 comments Hey, I think I found it!
The Folk Keeper
What do you think?

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Ann | 3 comments YES! This is totally it, omg :) I'm so happy you commented on this, I really want to find this book.

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Ann | 3 comments thank you so much, you just made my week:)

message 6: by Emily (last edited Jun 29, 2011 09:48PM) (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 14 comments Hmm. None of the reviews of The Folk Keeper mention the Selkies or the peat moss specifically, but it sounds unbearably familiar, so I'm going to go with it.

EDIT: The short summary from my library confirms it.
"Orphaned Corinna disguises herself as a boy to pose as a Folk Keeper, one who keeps the Evil Folk at bay, and discovers her heritage as a seal maiden when she is taken to live with a wealthy family in their manor by the sea. "

This is like the best day ever!