Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Achive > Resident Evil

Comments Showing 1-50 of 172 (172 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I recently saw Resident Evil: Afterlife.

What was I watching and why? This movie made no sense in so many ways that it just... *$#%_%)$_

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott I thought Extinction was the only good one.

message 3: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments lol. I watched because of Milla Jovovich. I agree, usually the plot was a mess--in all of them--I just kept in mind it was all based on a video game. Somehow, I still found them amusing enough to watch. Maybe because it really wasn't that much horror?

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) I have only seen Afterlife...I saw it in blue ray 3D and I thought it was pretty good. I do have a thing for zombies, though. ;)

message 5: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Afterlife is the first one, right? If so, it's the only one I have not seen. I do rather adore the others despite them being varying degrees of bad. I plan to get a kitten soon. I am hoping I get a badass one who holds her own against my boyfriend's cat so I can name her Alice.

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Naw, Afterlife is the last one (I think).

I get annoyed cause the plot is everywhere! I don't even consider these zombie movies...their poorly plotted action films. :)

message 7: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments Basically, those movies are nothing more than vehicles for Milla Jovovich to play an action heroine. Quite frankly, I don't think any of those movies would have worked at all with a different actress playing Alice.

message 8: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 98 comments On balance I prefer the games to the movies.

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments S.J. wrote: "Basically, those movies are nothing more than vehicles for Milla Jovovich to play an action heroine. Quite frankly, I don't think any of those movies would have worked at all with a different actre..."

^^ This. From the 5th element to zombie corporation killer. That's one bad chick, lol.

But really. How evil can Umbrella be. Seriously? They want to capture and kill/torture/experiment on the whole planet?? Really? And who is going to make all their stuff if everyone is dead?

message 10: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments I know, there's a few major logistical flaws... like food sources, energy sources and all the parts needed to make their fabulous computers and machines. I figured I was just missing out on the game explanation ("appears by magic!"). And if the world is full of zombies, won't that ruin their source material for experimentation?

message 11: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments All the movies suck big time.

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments LOL!!!! Exactly.

message 13: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Carol wrote: "I know, there's a few major logistical flaws... like food sources, energy sources and all the parts needed to make their fabulous computers and machines. I figured I was just missing out on the gam..."

We were thinking of that, too. Plus, did you see how fast Umbrella was on the way at the end of movie 4? How on EARTH were they moving that fast? Where did they get all those people? Movie 4 takes place 4 years after the outbreak, right? SO how is it that so many zombies are still alive? Shouldn't they have died off from lack of braaaains? And who is working the satellite systems??

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Afterlife is not as good as the first three. Well, the second wasn't really great, but at least Oded was in it, and he's delish. I like the buttkicking too. The last movie was fairly incoherent, and the music was horrible. At least Wentworth Miller was in it. I love him!

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "...but at least Oded was in it, and he's delish. I like the buttkicking too. "

I must concur. :>

message 16: by Kevin (last edited Jul 03, 2011 02:41AM) (new)

Kevin | 284 comments I quite enjoyed the first 3 movies for what they are. Brainless evening entertainment with a hot chick in the center. :p

Haven't seen the fourth yet.

message 17: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Denae wrote: "Afterlife is the first one, right? If so, it's the only one I have not seen. I do rather adore the others despite them being varying degrees of bad. I plan to get a kitten soon. I am hoping I get a..."

Wow, I meant last. I was pretty spaced out, apparently.

message 18: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments Watching any of the 'Resident Evil' movies requires a viewer not to think about many, many things. KevinB is right: They're basically all brainless evening entertainment with a hot chick in the center.
I'd be interested in another brainless evening entertainment movie starring Milla Jovovich and Bruce Willis. They worked pretty well together in 'The Fifth Element'.

message 19: by Scott (new)

Scott That's my favorite "pure fun" movie.

message 20: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments 'The Fifth Element' is indeed pure fun to watch!

message 21: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Yeah, I do love that movie. I've seen it several times.

message 22: by Scott (new)

Scott But is it SF or fantasy? *ducks*

message 23: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Sci fi.

message 24: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments I'd say it straddles both categories. It has spaceships (sci-fi) and mystic powers (fantasy). But most of all, it's fun to watch, and that's what really counts.

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I'd say Sci-fi...

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I'm with the Sc-fi folks

message 27: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1018 comments I watched the first Resident Evil movie back when it first came out, and I was mad because it didn't follow the first game, so I never watched anymore after that. The first game would've made a great creepy movie, the old mansion and all...

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Come on, dudes, The 5th Element is fantasy! LOL

Before people start throwing things at me, I'm just joking... :D

message 29: by Jason (last edited Jul 07, 2011 02:28AM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments As for Resident Evil, I don't like any of them. I thought the second one was okay, but that's about it. The first blew, I thought, and the third was good the first time around but blows every other time I tried to watch it. I haven't even bothered with the last one...

message 30: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Well, compared to the other movies the first Resident Evil was pure genius. It, at least, was a zombie movie with a couple of scares or jolts (more jolts than scares or I wouldn't have seen it, lol). The latter movies are just pulp action - which can be good in its own light.

message 31: by Scott (new)

Scott I like the third one because I think Russell Mulcahy is a much better director and visual storyteller than Paul Anderson. He really should get more work than he does.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments My son and his friends were into the game(s) big time, they're not the kind of electronic games I usually play. Watched the movies (haven't seen the last one yet...).

I mean I also thought the only reason to watch them was Milla Jovovich, you mean they actually have a plot?

I saw a few minutes of Afterlife yesterday...I mean after all these years of death destruction etc., where do all the zombies keep coming from? Oh well... like I said, you mean they are actually supposed to have a plot?

message 33: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments The zombies keep coming because of the need to keep making sequels as long as they make money. This is a powerful, mystical force that is ignored only at one's peril.

message 34: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments ROTFLMAO!!!

Sensei, that is the exact same question that my husband and I had!

@SJ - Great answer! :D

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Ahhhh...I see. It's like those monster generators in the first Gauntlet games. The monsters just kept appearing...as long as you put in the quarters.

message 36: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments LOL That's exactly it, Mike!

message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Gauntlet was fun while Resident Evil kicked my butt :(

message 38: by Mach (last edited Jul 08, 2011 02:55AM) (new)

Mach | 572 comments Forget Resident Evil, if you want to see a really good zombie movie you should watch Dawn of the Dead and the other Dead movies.

message 39: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Those are the classics, Machavelli!

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Meh - I'll stick with Resident Evil, personally. ;)

message 41: by Scott (new)

Scott The "Dead" movies are pretty awful.

I just bought Resident Evil 5 (game) but haven't started playing yet. Hope I don't need to have played all the previous ones.

message 42: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Ah Yes Mr Romero :) And don't forget the Lucio Fulci films!

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Scott wrote: "The "Dead" movies are pretty awful.

I just bought Resident Evil 5 (game) but haven't started playing yet. Hope I don't need to have played all the previous ones."

Nope Its almost its own game and a bit more of an actioner than anything. Plus if you have questions about past bits you can always look up the plots online.

message 44: by Scott (new)

Scott Ok good. Right now I'm playing Painkiller, a strangely addictive shooter with minimal story and puzzling. Nice graphics though.

message 45: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Todd has Painkiller too took him forever to get the complete copy (gah there was a demo version that had limited levels and sold for ten dollars without telling you it was a demo).

message 46: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments Has anyone seen 28 Days Later and the sequel 28 Weeks Later by Danny Boyle? They are much better then any of the Resident Evil movies. Check them out.

message 47: by Scott (new)

Scott I really liked 28 Days Later but wasn't interested in the sequel.

message 48: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments Have you seen the sequel?

message 49: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 98 comments Machavelli wrote: "Has anyone seen 28 Days Later and the sequel 28 Weeks Later by Danny Boyle? They are much better then any of the Resident Evil movies. Check them out."

Seen them both. Can't say I prefer one to the other. Quite like them both.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Never cared for 28 Days, or Weeks... Of course I'm not a huge fan of Resident Evil. Still, just me.

« previous 1 3 4