Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Buddy Reads) > The English Patient [Buddy Read]

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments Caroline and I will be reading The English Patient in about a week if anyone would like to join us!

message 2: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments I bought this book years ago after watching part of the movie (it was on late and I fell asleep) but every time I started reading it I had to put it down because I had too many challenge reads to do before the end of the month to fit it in. I've slowed down on challenges since then so I can read whatever I want again (and hopefully get through some of the books on my bookshelf). I'm going to watch the movie after I finish so I can compare them...and watch Ralph Fiennes for a few hours as well. I love his acting!!!
Have you seen the movie? If yes, what did you think, if not - do you want to? I love watching the movie after reading the book to see what I thought of how well the actors played the role, if they fit my image of them, how I pictured the setting or scenarios compared to the director...

message 3: by Caroline (last edited Jul 02, 2011 05:24AM) (new)

Caroline (pip_squeak) Sara your a star:-)
I haven;t actually seen the movie, I prefer if I can to read the book first then watch the movie afterwards! Hopefully I will love the book and be inspired to watch the film!
Should be good to start this Monday if thats okay with you Sara? x x

message 4: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments Monday is great!

message 5: by Caroline (last edited Jul 04, 2011 01:42PM) (new)

Caroline (pip_squeak) Hi Sara just to let you know that I've fired up my kindle and am settling down in bed to start reading The English Patient!! Happy reading x x

message 6: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments I will start it tonight too. I have to work an evening shift tomorrow though so you probably won't hear from me until after you go to bed. I'm not sure how much I'll read tonight since I have 2 others that I have to finish up but I'll start it any way. I'll be sure to get to the end of part I at least if you have any opening thoughts. :)

message 7: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments I love this line:
"So the books for the Englishman, as he listened intently or not, had gaps of plot like sections of road washed out by storms, missing incidents as if locusts had consumed a section of tapestry, as if plaster loosened by the bombing had fallen away from a mural at night."

I think I'd be completely crazy by the time I was able to read a book myself again!

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 20 comments I shall read along with you both!

I started it a few years ago but then sort of got distracted...

I need some motivation like this to start and this time finish it :)

message 9: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments Welcome Kate!

message 10: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments I read section 1 last night but I think I was too tired, nothing really sank in, so I'm going to reread it today before starting part II tonight.

message 11: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (pip_squeak) Welcome Kate:-) x x

message 12: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (pip_squeak) I have read chapters 1 and 2! I'm loving how descriptive this book is! I'm finding the book jumps alot but cazy as it seems i'm taking more in about the character! Hope that makes sense?..... Also weird how when the patient speaks theres no speech marks, just like Hanas remembering whats been said x x

message 13: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments I'm on chapter 6 and the story is really starting to pick up for me now that it's gotten to the English patient's past and you get to finally meet his love, Katherine.

I found the first half of the book to be much slower going, not necessarily because the book was slow, but because you have to pay such close attention to what's going on. There were a few times I had to go back and reread a section because I lost track of who's thoughts I was reading. The characters don't really seem to have distinct voices, they all describe things in the same way to me, so when it jumps from person to person, I find it easy to get lost.

message 14: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments Caroline wrote: "Also weird how when the patient speaks theres no speech marks, just like Hanas remembering whats been said"

I never noticed this in mine (which confused me because this is something that I would normally notice) so I went back and checked and I have quotation marks. I wonder why that would be different? I have a later version of the book (it has Ralph Fiennes and Kristin Scott Thomas kissing on the cover) so maybe they dumbed it down after the movie came out to appeal to a larger audience?
The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

message 15: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments On a sidenote about Hana being from Toronto is that is where Ondaatje lives too. I had noticed while reading that he was very specific about the street names in Toronto when Hana was reminiscing so I wonder if there's a reason or if it was just because he's that descriptive. Maybe that's where he lives? :)
I also love that the stepmother, Clara, sent pink rocks from the Georgian Bay in the letters to remind her, and maybe entice her, home. I have taken several vacations in the area (and have stopped on islands of pink granite) and if I had a relative that lived there, I would never leave!

message 16: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (pip_squeak) ~Sara~ wrote: "I'm on chapter 6 and the story is really starting to pick up for me now that it's gotten to the English patient's past and you get to finally meet his love, Katherine.

I found the first half of th..."

Hi Sara! I must agree with you on all points so far! It's nice that its written this way as you get to see all stories of the characters but it does jump alot and I've found myself confused too! xx

message 17: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (pip_squeak) ~Sara~ wrote: "Caroline wrote: "Also weird how when the patient speaks theres no speech marks, just like Hanas remembering whats been said"

I never noticed this in mine (which confused me because this is somethi..."

I am also reading the Kindle version so not sure if that makes a difference?! x x

message 18: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (pip_squeak) ~Sara~ wrote: "On a sidenote about Hana being from Toronto is that is where Ondaatje lives too. I had noticed while reading that he was very specific about the street names in Toronto when Hana was reminiscing so..."

Alas I have never been to Canada, but have always wanted to go, but due the descriptive nature of the book am picking up its beauty:-) x x

message 19: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments Here's some pictures of my last trip to Killarney Provincial Park (it's at the far north of the Georgian Bay) and it's pink granite cliffs and islands. I always hate when I have to come home!

Killarney 4

Killarney 3

Killarney 2

Killarney 1

message 20: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments I'm on chapter 8 and have a major spoiler/guess coming so make sure you've read chapter 6 before reading it.

I was thinking about Caravaggio's story (view spoiler)

message 21: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments I love this line where the English patient is talking about him and Katherine:
"I was a man fifteen years older then she, you understand. I had reached that stage in life where I identified with cynical villains in a book. I don't believe in permanence, in relationships that span ages. I was fifteen years older. But she was smarter. She was hungrier to change than I expected."

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 20 comments Those are some incredible photos!

It looks like a beautiful place.

message 23: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (pip_squeak) ~Sara~ wrote: "Here's some pictures of my last trip to Killarney Provincial Park (it's at the far north of the Georgian Bay) and it's pink granite cliffs and islands. I always hate when I have to come home!

OMG! No wonder you never want to come home! How breath takling beautiful, I am so jealous now, I really hope that someday I get to see Canadas beauty in person, but thank you so very much for showing me your pictures:-) x x

"

message 24: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (pip_squeak) A line that really sticks out for me is when Hana and Caravaggio are talking about Hanas father in chapter 10 'Fathers die. You keep on loving them in any way you can. You can't hide him away in your heart' It' just beautiful x x

message 25: by Caroline (last edited Jul 09, 2011 04:30AM) (new)

Caroline (pip_squeak) Hi Guys! I finished the book last night! I'm gonna put my review below but in a spoiler, PLEASE DO NOT READ untill your are finished!
(view spoiler)
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and reviews:-) x x

message 26: by ~Sara~ (last edited Jul 10, 2011 08:14PM) (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments I was also expecting more of a romance so was surprised by the nature of the patient and Katherine's "love" affair. I don't think either of them were very nice!

I found the part with Madox very surprising - it seemed to come out of the blue! (view spoiler)

Overall I enjoyed the book but found some parts of it too confusing and had to go back a few times to see if I missed something; especially the ending. I like to have some sort of closure at the end of a book and I didn't really get that from this. It feels like there should be an epilogue to spell it out for me or something! :)

message 27: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (pip_squeak) Sara! I again totally agree! Normally you can pick these things up better in a book than the film but alas it wasn't to be.... Glad I have read it though:-)... Thank you so much though for picking this as a Buddy read, I love buddy reading with you:-)
I have a copy of Rooms (brought it on speacial offer!) if you fancy reading when you can spare some time (doesn't have to be with the pifm) just drop me a line x x