Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What exactly is steampunk?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 29, 2011 04:48PM) (new)

I have been seeing this category bandied around but have no idea what it is referring to. I like to make notes against the books on my to-read shelf to remind me why I wanted to read it. The Anubis Gates I found unidentified on my shelf. Oh the horror. Research identified it as steampunk. Any Clues as to what this category is? Has anyone read this book? Can I remove it from my TBR due to lack of interest? Would I like steampunk?

message 2: by Lori (last edited Jun 29, 2011 05:06PM) (new)

Lori Yep I've read the book, and lots of steampunk as well. It's any scifi book that takes place in the Victorian era, whether going back to the past, or some alternative world where that's the way people live. I think it's because the Victorians were very much interested in steam powered machinery, it was very new, coupled with the upright/uptight public code of conduct.

I happen to love Tim Powers, so enjoyed Anubis very much. He's fantastical, don't know if you enjoy that - crazy goings on, but lots of fun.

I don't know what books you gravitate to, but I think you do like sci \fi/fantasy? THis is just a sub-genre, and there's some brilliant stuff!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Lori that sounds like an excellent recommendation to me.

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat Zantow (kat_zantow) Steampunk in general is alternate world driven. But it's also an aesthetic style, and some people make really sweet things like this steampunk computer case which would not fully make sense in most steampunk mythos but look awesome. I mean, if the google search results for steampunk aesthetic do not convince you to pick up a steampunk book, I don't know what would. ;)

message 5: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Gail, if you google steampunk images, there are a lot of really cool looking items that are a melding of high tech and the Victorian era. There is an entire underground world of "steampunk." Fascinating.

message 6: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I just learned of steampunk this year- I’ve read a few books in the genre so far and enjoyed them very much!

It is fascinating ms.petra :)

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Gail, you can reference an ancient conversation about Steampunk here...

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 8: by ~Geektastic~ (last edited Jun 30, 2011 07:37AM) (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Sci-fi: robots

Steampunk: steam-powered wooden robots wearing frock coats and goggles

(I love steampunk, especially when writing role playing characters; the aesthetic is really cool and versatile)

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Gail, I loved The Anubis Gates. I don't remember it being steampunk, but I haven't read it in a long time. Steampunk is a really cool aesthetic, but I find I can't seek it out and read it for the sake of reading it. If a book I'm interested in happens to be steampunk, that's cool with me. I loved Boneshaker, for example.

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise Oh Amber, one of the first roleplaying campaigns I was in was a steampunk one, in high school *gets really sentimental*

message 11: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Louise wrote: "Oh Amber, one of the first roleplaying campaigns I was in was a steampunk one, in high school *gets really sentimental*"

So glad to bring back the happy memories! I'm writing a campaign now and getting ready to introduce a steampunk-ish alchemist character. I'm looking forward to coming up with all his psuedo-Victorian gizmos.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori KD I was trying to remember who posted those pics, shoulda realized it was you! Those were incredible.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 30, 2011 04:30PM) (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "Gail, you can reference an ancient conversation about Steampunk here...

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2..."

Thanks for the link RA. I should have done a search before I started the thread. :P

Great Photos KD.

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Thanks for the link RA. I should have done a search before I started the thread. :P

Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done!

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17333 comments Mod
Whatever. Searching for your own links is just silly when there is a whole jar of sea monkeys here willing to do it for you.

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 30, 2011 05:46PM) (new)

Your sea monkeys obviously need further training.

::wanders off to the corned to reflect on my wicked ways::

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Ok, oh wicked one, teach us sea monkeys your wicked ways!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Come join me in my corner and I'll teach you everything I know.

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Oh goodie, my first lesson in Aussie wickedness.

message 21: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Sarah Pi wrote: "Gail, I loved The Anubis Gates. I don't remember it being steampunk, but I haven't read it in a long time. Steampunk is a really cool aesthetic, but I find I can't seek it out and read it for the sake of reading it. If a book I'm interested in happens to be steampunk, that's cool with me. I loved Boneshaker, for example."

Sarah, I love that you're recommending that book! :D

message 22: by Annette (new)

Annette Hart | 171 comments Gail «Cyborg» wrote: "RandomAnthony wrote: "Gail, you can reference an ancient conversation about Steampunk here...

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2..."

Thanks for the link RA. ..."

I'm glad you posted this thread as I wondered what steampunk was, too. Does the description make Captain Nemo an original steampunk hero?

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jammies "
Sarah, I love that you're recommending that book! :D ."

Next step is to find a sunny day when lots of people will be home to read Dreadnaught.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I am obviously a fan of Steampunk whether I knew what it was or not. I can't help inadvertently reading it as "steamspunk" though, which kinda brings up an entirely different set of images.

I've just picked up The Anubis Gates to read.

message 25: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Sarah Pi wrote: "Jammies "
Sarah, I love that you're recommending that book! :D ."

Next step is to find a sunny day when lots of people will be home to read Dreadnaught."

Might have to wait until the next Summer Solstice, hmm? ;)

message 26: by Lori (new)

Lori I've heard about that book KD, is it worth reading?

ms.petra that helmet is all kinds of awesome.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha how did I miss that link? I need that helmet right now. I seem to have a few links in my brain missing.

message 28: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments There's a book about Steampunk art at Barnes and Nobles--it's got some incredible pieces in there.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I just notices the ad next to this thread is for the Steampunk Emporium.

Do you have a link to the book Leslie?

message 30: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments No--not really sure how to accomplish that. I think it's called 1000 Steampunk Art. It's from the 1000 series. I'm sure Amazon has it. Sorry.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Would this be it Leslie?

1,000 Steampunk Creations Neo-Victorian Fashion, Gear, and Art (1000 Series) by Grymm

message 32: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments Yep--it's really a great book to sit and browse through!

message 33: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Leslie wrote: "Yep--it's really a great book to sit and browse through!"

That was a really cool book, I checked it out from the library a month or two ago.

message 34: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Derek Jeter?

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jeff & Ann VanderMeer have put out two good steampunk anthologies too. Nice combinations of art and fiction and essay.

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) My friend Charissa is making some pretty neat Steampunk paper dolls for sale on Etsy:

[image error]

message 37: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments WOW! That's awesome!

message 38: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Where are our Whovians? A steampunk Dalek! How cool is that? http://alex-holden.livejournal.com/12...

message 39: by Annette (new)

Annette Hart | 171 comments I love it! I'm assuming they're old school and can't hover so are stuck in the sewers forever.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.