Banned Books Club discussion

Book Chosen for July: The God of Small Things

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Satia (new)

Satia The poll winner is:

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy was challenged in India where the author stood trial for obscenity.

From Wikipedia:
The God of Small Things is the debut novel of Indian author Arundhati Roy. It is a story about the childhood experiences of fraternal twins whose lives are destroyed by the "Love Laws" that lay down "who must be loved, and how, and how much". The book is a description of how the small things in life affect people's behavior and their lives. The book won the Booker Prize in 1997.

I will be leading the discussion concurrently with the discussion for Wide Sargasso Sea.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments THANK YOU for choosing The God of Small Things as the book for July. I just started, and I am already absolutely LOVING it. Satia, you were so right when you said that the writing is beautiful. I LOVE the writing.

I'm looking forward to the discussion!! And I'm really looking forward to getting further along in the book, but I'm loving the poetic and beautiful style of Roy's writing so much that I'm finding I'm reading it more slowly than I usually read books!!

message 3: by Satia (new)

Satia Eep! If you've already started, I better get some discussion threads created so we'll all know where to tuck our discussion.

BTW, if anyone needs a tutorial on how to do the spoiler tag, if you click the (some html is ok) link above the comment, it explains this and other html codes which are allowed.

Barbara, glad you're enjoying it. The writing is quite lovely.

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments Satia wrote: "Eep! If you've already started, I better get some discussion threads created so we'll all know where to tuck our discussion.

BTW, if anyone needs a tutorial on how to do the spoiler tag, if you c..."

Sorry about that, Satia!! I didn't mean to make you feel rushed!! Believe me, this is not going to be a quick read for me (as I said earlier, I'm enjoying it very much so far, but her writing is so wonderful that I find myself rereading many paragraphs before moving on.)

Thanks for the explanation on using the spoiler. If I do post anything, I will post them in the new threads you've just created, and I will be sure to use the spoiler feature. (But so far there are no spoilers in what I've written here!!!!)

THANKS!!!!
b.