British Horror discussion

BFS Awards

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 29, 2011 12:07PM) (new)

The shortlist that has just been announced for the BFS awards (here)confirmed to me that this is indeed, a new golden age for British Horror. Congratulations to all the nominees. Perhaps it's true that horror flourishes in times of crises what do you think?

message 2: by Adrian (last edited Jun 29, 2011 12:37PM) (new)

Adrian Chamberlin | 12 comments I think you're right, Colin.

Supernatural horror always seems to do well in times of uncertainty - the last golden age of British Horror was in the late 70s/early 80s, which matches the current times with recession, mass unemployment and unpopular wars!

Whereas in more prosperous times the taste has been for psychological horror and serial-killer/police procedurals.

Perhaps it's the fantasy element of supernatural horror that appeals more to people in times like these.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark You could be right, Colin and it's a very strong line-up. I've read two of the novels shortlisted I've read - Gary and Graham's - and I'd be hard-pressed to choose between the two.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

And they could have added a good few more that I read this year. Now all we need is for the public to catch up and buy the stuff!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

So does this mean we have to have twenty more years of austerity just so we can read some decent books?

message 6: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Chamberlin | 12 comments Nope - with the con-dem government we have now, it'll take at least 30 years for the country to recover when they're finally booted out...so British Horror glory for a long time yet. Huzzah!

message 7: by David (new)

David A. Riley (davidariley) | 2 comments Remember, there's always a cloud in front of every silver lining.