Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > The unholy marriage of music and politics

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) The New Yorker has a blog today about matching GOP presidential candidates with an appropriate campaign song. I thought it might be fun to play along, but let's also offer up our best suggestions for the Obama campaign and any other Democrats or other political figures anyone would like to take a crack at.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs...

Be satirical or be serious, as long as we're all respectful of each other.

The candidates:

Barack Obama
Joe Biden
Michele Bachmann
Mitt Romney
Ron Paul
Tim Pawlenty
Herman Cain
Rick Santorum
Jon Huntsman
Newt Gingrich
Or add your own

This is going to take some thought for me, although my initial instinct for Santorum is "Who Let the Dogs Out?" His middle name will forever be "Man on Dog" to me, although I can't remember now if that was a Daily Show thing or if I picked it up someplace else.

I'm not sure I can come up with a better choice for Gingrich than The New Yorker's selection of "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia."

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Do we have to worry about whether the artist will approve the use? Tom Petty has served a cease and desist order on Michele Bachmann for her use of "American Girl." Therefore, we'll have to assign her "She's a Maniac" by Hall & Oates.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Rick Santorum - Slip Slidin' Away -- thanks to the Dan Savage definition of santorum.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Haven't other musicians complained about their music getting used politically? I seem to remember Springsteen getting pissed about someone quoting "Born in the USA" at a rally. Was it Reagan? Bush I?

message 5: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) The NY Times link references a few of those instances when musicians objected to their songs being used by political campaigns.

I don't think we have anything to worry about here.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Busted for not checkin' the link...

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Haven't other musicians complained about their music getting used politically? I seem to remember Springsteen getting pissed about someone quoting "Born in the USA" at a rally. Was it Reagan? Bu..."
It was Reagan, though the funny thing in that case is that the song is so not what he was trying to convey. People just latch onto the "Born in the USA" and forget the whole "born down in a dead man's town" and "sent to kill the yellow man" darkness of the song.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Or, "they're still there, he's all gone" talking about the Viet Cong still being here but his friend being gone. Or that the singer (at least by my interpretation) is in prison. I don't know why he wrote that song with an anthem/rock melody. It's a bizarre mentality when just the words "Born in the USA" get people all excited.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24154 comments Mod
George Will once wrote a worshipful column about Springsteen and his blue collar manliness and the Born in the USA theme.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think he probably wrote it acoustic and then beefed it up. He needed another album as big as Born to Run. I think there were just a lot of people who didn't get the irony of the way he was using "Born in the USA." It's got a big rock treatment but it's a folk song, like a lot of his songs.

message 11: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) He did, Sarah. He did a demo of it during his Nebraska sessions. There's a folky-bluesy take of the song on the Tracks boxed set.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I was hearing it acoustic in my head, but couldn't remember whether I had heard that version in concert or on a bootleg or what. Thanks.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael I think it was during the Devils and Dust tour that he did a folksy/bluesy version of the song with slide guitar and a completely different melody.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.