The Flashman Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

...I'm getting an earlier start in the month. I found a copy of this on Paperback Swap and they tell me it's been mailed. I do hope it's one with the older cover....I love that artwork. :)

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt (riverranger) | 23 comments Fingers crossed. The pictures are more 'classic' in style. I have the newish (2005/6) copies on my shelves so far - so at least they match, but the art is more 'cartoon' like. Luckily got Charge already & mightily looking forward to learning about the subject...while Flashy gets it in the Zulus... ;)

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt (riverranger) | 23 comments Hello! Is there anyone there?

I am hoping to start this month's Harry towards the end of this week.

Michele - "how you doing" (as Joey might have said!) with the other 27 books you are no doubt also reading this month (air travel permitting of course)?! @;{)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello there! I think starting at the end of the week sounds perfect.....I'm just finishing up another and had planned on taking the next Flashy with me on my trip when I leave on Saturday! :)

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt (riverranger) | 23 comments Hi! Sounds like we have a date then... "You, Me & Harry" - sounds like a film title? Have a good trip.

Anyone else out there joining the party, or just we three? @;{)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

It might just be us three....I know Carey's been just swamped lately, so I'll give her a break this month. ;)

message 7: by Matt (new)

Matt (riverranger) | 23 comments Sounds fair enough... Flashy's not the same if read under too much pressure.

He should be enjoyed, like a finely aged Madeira, with a cigar direct from Havana, with the salt of sweat still damp on the leaf, eh what my deario?!

Err, sorry, getting into Harryville a bit early - am still riding across Peru with Patrick Symmes & Che Guevara!!

See you at The Charge then... €l;{)

message 8: by Matt (new)

Matt (riverranger) | 23 comments Am currently sat in Chessington (UK theme park) reading under the Vampire ride. No vamp books to hand but am reading "Flashman at the Charge" and the sounds of battle & pain are palpable... Almost real. Oh hang on, they ARE sounds of fear and suffering!!!!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sitting in the Chicago airport and 2 of my flights have cancelled due to thunderstorms. So I'm stuck here for 6 hours before my next flight and just heading into Ch. 2!

message 10: by Matt (new)

Matt (riverranger) | 23 comments Sounds like I had the better option...even surrounded by shrieking kids (and adults!...Hmmm!?

Hope you got the flight...and the book made it off the 'plane with you this time!!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL, yes I kept track of the book this time. And you are certainly correct: it's impossible to read with screaming kids and their incredibly obnoxious parents running around. (As a parent, I feel entitled to comment on this. I found that there was never any true reason to take my kids on an airplane until they were old enough to understand the words "you kick the seat in front of you and I'll break your leg." So we missed out on a few vacations when they were little, big deal....we did the traveling public a favor as I see it.)

So I'm in the Crimea with Flashy now and am so glad I have read enough books set during the war that I at least have a smidgen of an idea of what's going on. Can't wait to read his tale of the Light Brigade. :)

message 12: by Matt (new)

Matt (riverranger) | 23 comments I had momentarily managed to offload the child I cared whether they were screaming or not, but found I still had the delight of listening to everyones else's (plus obnoxious parents as you rightly observe), so the joy was a little diminished!

I am 100% with you on the plane (car/coach/boat) scenario...and would add the ability to comprehend when it is said by the occupier of that seat...then trying to ignore the subsequent enquiry "What does [insert expletive] mean Daddy? That man said it very loudly!"

You'll enjoy the Light Brigade & how Flashy manages to emerge unscathed... He then goes off to some odd places - including shades of "Freedom" - which is where I currently am. As ever the 'footnotes' are a delight! @:{)

message 13: by Nick (new)

Nick Dance | 38 comments I was delighted to read of Flashy's participation in the charge of the Heavy Brigade and was delighted to see the reference to Alexander Elliot who was my great great uncle and who was General Scarlet's ADC. Elliot suffered 16 wounds in that charge, had his cock hat split, lived to old age and became a general.

I remember my grandmother talking about him saying what a cheerful man he was. I even have some of his paintings from his later life. Who would have guessed that he rode into action with Flashy and I wonder what my gran would have thought if she had known! One of the few men to ride into action with Flashy and survive!

Adrian (magicrat) (magicrat) | 35 comments Wow - what a claim to fame :)

I'm going to have to go and re-read that now - been a while.

message 15: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Anderson (StuartA) | 5 comments Flashman At The Charge is definitely my favourite book of all time. How wonderful that you have a direct connection with the story! I'm highly envious.

My great great great grandfather was in the EIC army and commanded a number of the native infantry regiments which revolted in 1857 however he had died slightly earlier in 1852. Two of his sons were serving though during the rebellion.

Cheers,

Stuart

message 16: by Djb (new)

Djb | 285 comments Connections wise this isn't really a connection but my grandfather (he died in 1915 long before I was born) was in the 11th Hussars (Flashy's first regiment) and used to break horses for them.

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick Dance | 38 comments These connections do make it much more personal and makes you realise that Flashman's adventures happened not too long ago

message 18: by David (new)

David Westerby | 13 comments Does anyone have a copy of the BBC radio serial of Flashman At The Charge? Of the one they did of Flash For Freedom? I used to have Flash For Freedom which I recorded from the radio when it was a repeated a few years ago but I lost it in a PC crash - would love to get them

message 19: by Keith (new)

Keith Thompson | 18 comments David wrote: "Does anyone have a copy of the BBC radio serial of Flashman At The Charge? Of the one they did of Flash For Freedom? I used to have Flash For Freedom which I recorded from the radio when it was a r..."

I believe you can download the torrent at these addresses:
Direct Download Flashman at the Charge Pt 1 Torrent - bthunter.orgwww.bthunter.org/bt/flash...

Direct Download Flashman at the Charge Pt 2 Torrent - bthunter.orgwww.bthunter.org/bt/flash...

message 20: by Steven (new)

Steven | 6 comments Flashman at the Charge is one of my favorites in the series, and not just for the account of the charge itself. That part is merely a prelude to so much that follows in Russia and in Asia. I especially like the scene where Flash and his old friend Scud East, as prisoners in the Russian Count Pencherjevsky's house, while hidden in the gallery, oversee the secret visit of the czar, who is informed of the villain Count Ignatieff's plan for a Russian invasion of British India. And the scene with Aunt Sara in the bath house is good too. As is the part where he discovers the gender of Ko Dhali's daughter. And the concluding event, when he finally returns to the safety of British India, what he is asked by the subaltern border officer.