Middle East/North African Lit discussion

ذات
This topic is about ذات
Cruise Salon (Buddy reads) > Zaat by Sonallah Ibrahim- Egypt

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marieke, Former moderator (new) - added it

Marieke | 1179 comments Mod
I've been reading Zaat, which Nile Daughter had recommended during the Egypt portion of our Cruise. I'm really enjoying it. Has anyone else read this?

Niledaughter | 2793 comments Mod
I am glad you like it so far :)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) | 205 comments I read Zaat a couple of months ago and absolutely loved it! I particularly enjoyed the alternating chapters of news headlines, radio and TV spots, etc. What a great way to blend fiction and nonfiction!

I highly recommend this novel to know more about Egypt , here is my review:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 5: by Marieke, Former moderator (new) - added it

Bernadette wrote: "I read Zaat a couple of months ago and absolutely loved it! I particularly enjoyed the alternating chapters of news headlines, radio and TV spots, etc. What a great way to blend fiction and nonfict..."

yes! i thought it was one of the most creative things i've read in a long time. and Zaat was such a sympathetic character. i loved the whole atmosphere of the book. i had it from the library but i really want my own copy.

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) | 205 comments Marieke wrote: "i had it from the library but i really want my own copy."

Yes, this is one of the books that I'm happy I spent the money on!

message 7: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 628 comments Just tried the download on the GR page but it's in Arabic so I guess I'll have to look for it online. My library system doesn't have it and it does appeal to me.

message 8: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 628 comments I just ordered this tonight online and I'm looking forward to reading it. It is difficult trying to decide which books to be sure to read but this looks good and I really don't know much about modern Egypt.

Good choice Sue :) hope you like it ...

message 10: by Marieke, Former moderator (new) - added it

Sue wrote: "I just ordered this tonight online and I'm looking forward to reading it. It is difficult trying to decide which books to be sure to read but this looks good and I really don't know much about mode..."

and if anything needs clarification, we are here! i'd love to have a lively discussion about this book.

message 11: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 628 comments thanks! I know there are good resources here. And I know you can fill me in on details about Egypt.

message 12: by Mahriana (new) - added it

Mahriana Rofheart sounds interesting - I'm really curious about the use of newspapers, radio, and TV.

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) | 205 comments Interested to hear what you think, Sue. I think the book will give you a lot of insight and background to the current happenings in the country.

message 14: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 628 comments I should receive the book soon. I think I'll probably start it right away since I'm almost finished with "Inside the Kingdom" (which I really Like very much).

Sue wrote: "I should receive the book soon. I think I'll probably start it right away since I'm almost finished with "Inside the Kingdom" (which I really Like very much)."

Did you get it ?

message 16: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 628 comments Still waiting for delivery. It should come soon. I believe it was sent early last week.

message 17: by Niledaughter (last edited Jul 13, 2012 04:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 18: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 628 comments I still haven't read this! Someday.

Sue wrote: "I still haven't read this! Someday."

Good luck :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Zaat (other topics)