SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Book Chat > Star Wars books - they're all there now

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett Don't know if anyone else noticed yet or not, so I thought I'd mention it. As of yesterday, Lucasbooks put every in-print Star Wars book up and available for Kindle and a lot of other reading devices. There had always been some storylines up there, but not all. As of yesterday, every one I can think of is there.

Means I can finally finish the Darth Bane series and reread the awesome X-Wing series!!

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) I just saw that this morning in the Amazon blog. I've never read any of the books, as while I liked the first three movies (in production order), I never felt like they were the sort of sci-fi story I wanted to read. But I suppose I could sample some now and see if I was missing anything. :-)

message 3: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) Michael wrote: "...@Charles, what type of SciFi do you like reading? Did you enjoy the movies? "

I enjoyed the (original 3) movies as fun entertainment, but when reading sci-fi I tend to prefer something that is more scientifically believable and not simply an epic fantasy set in a technologically advanced setting. (Mind you, that's not a hard and fast rule, as almost anything done right by a good author can work.)

message 4: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 75 comments I will probably get the 6 movie novelizations, but I never got into the shared universe stuff.

I think I read halfway through Heir to the Empire, back in the day, and I was a rabid fan thirsty for content at that point, and I was not impressed.

message 5: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett The Zahn Trilogy is there (Heir to the Empire...) that series of three books basically created the post Episode VI Star Wars universe. The books listed as 25+ years after the movies are actually very imaginative. They are so far away in time from the movies that they aren't constrained by making sure everything links back up to the movies. There is a lot of political inigue and new characterizations in those novels that set a different tone than many of the other Star Wars novels.

@stormhawk: all the novelizations are great except for Episode III. Don't know what script Matt Stover read, but it veers away from the movie a little too much for my tastes. Practically a diffent story.

message 6: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 5 comments So happy to hear this. Looks like it might be a good time to break out that Amazon gift card. :)

message 7: by Adam (new)

Adam Bender (adambender) | 16 comments I read a few Star Wars books a long time ago but have not kept up. What would be a good one to start with?

message 8: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett Adam: the series listed in the far future after the movies can be a little too confusing for a new reader (The New Jedi Order series, Fate of the Jedi series, Legacy of the Force series). Stay away from those unless you want to invest a time commitment to catch up. My recommendations: check out the books that started the universe in the novels: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command (those are not the Kindle links, BTW). They are excellent intros back into the expanded universe. If you've already read them, try The Truce at Bakura, which is a direct continuation after Return of the Jedi -- I mean, the next day. Finally, if you'd like to read a passable love story in true Star Wars style, check out The Courtship of Princess Leia.

There are some bad SW books, but these are all pretty good ones, and all great to jump back into the series.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) I actually have my near-ancient copy of Star Wars: Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster, the first Star Wars sequel. It's worth reading just for the stuff and giggles.

Personally the BEST Star Wars novel has to be Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire by Steve Perry. It's main focus is on Darth Vader and his relationship with the Emperor. Perry makes him a more nuanced character rather than just a villian.

message 10: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett I love Shadows of the Empire. Best part about it to me is the novel also has both a video game and a soundtrack that goes with it.

message 11: by Adam (new)

Adam Bender (adambender) | 16 comments Ha, I had Shadows of the Empire on N64! That was one of the first "3D" (not in today's sense of the term) games I ever played. Wasn't Dark Force Rising a videogame too?

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I've read Heir to the Empire but will check out the others.

message 12: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett Yes, the entire Dark Forces Series started as a video game. As did Kyle Katarn.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked the first two movies, but the third (Revenge of the Judi) was a bit (or more) on the crappy side. I didn't see the more recent films.

Honestly, I've never seen the appeal of novelizations and media tie-in novels. (I've read three or four "media" book in my lifetime.) The stories might be interesting enough for a few films or a few years on the tube, but spreading them out over different venues for years on end seems like over immersion or sensory overload to me.

message 14: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett I enjoy some. Novelizations sometimes flesh out a movie. It adds a dimension to the movie, gets into the character's head, adds some scenes, and sometimes even gives a little background (example: read 2001 the book, then watch 2001 the movie).

Tie-ins are great ways to stay within that world and take the characters and situations far beyond where they went in the movie. Going back to Star Wars, most of the books are set in the situation, "okay, the Empire has been defeated, now what?" There is a lot of political intrigue and even allegory in situations like that which I find riveting when done properly.

Last, in both cases, it gets some other articulate minds playing in that sandbox. In Star Wars, you have George Lucas and that's it for the movies. Going into the novels and even the comic series, you have Tim Zahn, Michael Stackpole, Karen Traviss, and other phenomenal storytellers. A different voice on the same universe adds freshness for me and brings a compelling reason for me to keep going back.

Not to say I don't read regular books either. I'm reading an old Doc Savage novel right now. Before that I read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and my next book will be The Storm Guardians.

message 15: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett I've purchased all the Legacy of the Force series on Kindle. They've all been formatted very professionally. Haven't noticed any problems. I don't generally see problems when the book comes from one of the big guys like Random House and Tor. Smaller and independent publishers are where I tend to see formatting and editing problems. Of course, that could just be my experience.

message 16: by Serena (new)

Serena Dracis (serena_dracis) | 2 comments May have to give the Timothy Zahn series another chance. My husband and I love the animated Clone Wars series, but I'm guess I'm not geeky enough; I know I won't read all the books that are out there. Nostalgia though, keeps the original three novelizations, plus the Han Solo and Lando Calrissian series on my bookshelf.

message 17: by Kevis (last edited Jun 30, 2012 02:12AM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 120 comments Zahn's definitely the premier writer for the Star Wars Expanded Universe. I always felt that he put a little more effort into not only making the stories mesh with Lucas' cannon, but with enough flourish to keep his stories from being generic. Sadly, I can't say that for all Star Wars authors.

message 18: by Weenie (new)

Weenie | 21 comments Elie wrote:"My recommendations: check out the books that started the universe in the novels: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command..."

Thanks, as someone who loves the SW films (ok, I loved IV-VI and liked I-III!) but never read any of the books, I didn't know where I needed to start!