Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Archived: Threads, misc. > July BOM: Kingdom of Dreams

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Our the winner is......

A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught!!

A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1) by Judith McNaught

message 2: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Yayyyy!! Ok, the bad thing is that I think the book is only available in paper format. Ugh!

message 3: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 29 comments My all time favorite romance!! I'll join in and do a re-read of this one. :D

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Gigi wrote: "Yayyyy!! Ok, the bad thing is that I think the book is only available in paper format. Ugh!"

That's too bad. Especially if you prefer ebooks. I would think it'd be available in every format there is since it's so popular.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments SmittenKitten wrote: "My all time favorite romance!! I'll join in and do a re-read of this one. :D"

Great!

message 6: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Gigi, I have it as an eBook if you want.

message 7: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments You do!!!! That's awesome! I actually have the book, but I'd rather have the ebook. Lol

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori (corgimom) pull this one off my shelf for a reread. :)

message 9: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Gigi, PM me with your email address and I'll send it through if you like.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments CaroB wrote: "Gigi, PM me with your email address and I'll send it through if you like."

Ok, I can't find my copy of this anywhere! CaroB, are you able to send me a copy as well? Or, is it one of those formats that can only be loaned out once? If not, that's cool....... I'll just not buy dog food this week, and buy another book instead. Just kidding!!!!!

message 11: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments No problem Michelle, can do!

message 12: by taita (new)

taita | 188 comments Would love to re-read this. How does the group read work here? This is my first time in this group.

P.S.
Must thank Gigi for finding this group. Thank you!

message 13: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Taita! You're welcome! This group is awesome. I don't think there are any set rules for the group read- jump in anytime!

CaroB! You have the ebook! How cool! I'm re- reading my paperback which feels weird now! Lol

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments CaroB wrote: "No problem Michelle, can do!"

Thanks CaroB!

message 15: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments No worries Michelle, happy to help :-)

Am I right in thinking with the monthly group read we just read at our own pace and make general comments about characters and circumstances in the story? There's no set discussion like in buddy reads?

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments CaroB wrote: "No worries Michelle, happy to help :-)

Am I right in thinking with the monthly group read we just read at our own pace and make general comments about characters and circumstances in the story? Th..."

Yup! You're right. Unless, you, or someone else would prefer a set discussion, I'd be all for it.

message 17: by Gigi, Moderator (last edited Jul 06, 2011 09:10AM) (new)

Gigi | 833 comments So, I'm still reading the beginning

SPOILER::
Royce's men have kidnapped Jennifer and her sister. Jennifer has decided to mend clothing as a way to get disguises for their escape. Right now, I like Jennifers spunk and don't care for Jennifers father and her brother Alexander.

message 18: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments I'm planning on starting this tonight

message 19: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Cool! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do!

message 20: by Michelle (last edited Jul 09, 2011 07:46AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I started it yesterday while I was at the doctor's office, and wouldn't you know that was the one time I didn't have to wait more than 10 minutes to be seen?! My goal is to hopefully finish this one over the weekend and post as I go along.

message 21: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Lol! Cool! I can't wait to hear what you think

message 22: by taita (new)

taita | 188 comments I'm to have to read this in small chunks... So far I'm up to page 58. There could be SPOILERS! So be careful! I try to post where I am page wise so people can avoid them if they want to. Or maybe I should just hide it from view? How do I do that on a string like this? Anyone know?

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the beginning! It's a memorable start that sucks you in. The picture of everyone scowling and her praying and talking to herself is so clear.

First impression of Jenny - What a character! I couldn't stop laughing because she's so funny. She's such a great mix of... flare! Not sure how to describe her except that I felt like she was a kindred spirit. I hate how her clan shunned her though. Makes me so angry.

Because I've read this before, my impression of Royce is biased. He can really do no wrong in my eyes and unfortunately for me, I'm into the mysterious and brooding MANLY men. Sigh. So of course I was attracted to him upon read (can't really say sight). LOL.

And what about that little sewing trick? No matter how many times I read this book I still find it HILARIOUS!

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Admittedly, I'm not as far as I would like to be in this book. I was hoping to finish it this weekend! Anyway, is this one similar to KEW's The Wolf and the Dove  by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss ?

message 24: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 29 comments @taita... agreed! I was laughing out loud at the very first scene when she's praying and of course, later during the sewing trick. And the scene when Royce tells her (view spoiler)... I was swooning.

@Michelle... I found The Wolf and the Dove to be more bodice-ripperish than A Kingdom of Dreams.

message 25: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments This is my first time ever reading this, and I'm really enjoying it. I haven't read a medieval historical in what seems like a very long time!
I'm just at the point where J sees W and blows R a kiss. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds!

message 26: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments CaroB wrote: "This is my first time ever reading this, and I'm really enjoying it. I haven't read a medieval historical in what seems like a very long time!
I'm just at the point where J sees W and blows R a ki..."

CaroB, you're in for a treat. This is a pretty good one.

taita wrote: "I'm to have to read this in small chunks... So far I'm up to page 58. There could be SPOILERS! So be careful! I try to post where I am page wise so people can avoid them if they want to. Or may..."

Taita,

This is a reread for me as well. I love ROYCE too!! He's definitely swoon-worthy! LOL

@Michelle, I've only read one KEW book and I don't think JM's writing is similar to KEW at all. I enjoy JM's books a lot more than the one KEW book I've read. However, that is just my extremely humble opinion.

message 27: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments SPOILER

I'm moving slow. I'm so used to e-books! LOL

I'm only up to the part where Royce kisses Jennifer for the first time. And right after Jennifer hilariously tells Royce why he's not husband material! LOL!!!

message 28: by Lina (last edited Jul 11, 2011 06:40AM) (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Gigi wrote: "I'm moving slow. I'm so used to e-books! LOL ..."

Gigi, I'd be more than happy to send you the ebook if you wanted it. Just send me a message with your email address and what format you use, if you want.

message 29: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments CaroB wrote: "Gigi wrote: "I'm moving slow. I'm so used to e-books! LOL ..."

Gigi, I'd be more than happy to send you the ebook if you wanted it. Just send me a message with your email address and what forma..."

Thanks CaroB!!!

message 30: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments I've loved this book! It brought to mind some of my first romance reads. And talk about crossed wires! *sigh*

message 31: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments CaroB wrote: "I've loved this book! It brought to mind some of my first romance reads. And talk about crossed wires! *sigh*"

Wasn't Royce dream-worthy!! This was your first time reading it, right?

message 32: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Gigi wrote: "CaroB wrote: "I've loved this book! It brought to mind some of my first romance reads. And talk about crossed wires! *sigh*"

Wasn't Royce dream-worthy!! This was your first time reading it, right?"

Yes Gigi, it was my first time reading it. I loved Royce, and for all that I disagreed with some of her decisions, I loved Jenny too. There were a few times I had to remind myself she was only seventeen though, to cut her a bit of slack :-) I'd be keen to read the next one in the series, though I had assumed it would be about his brother and her sister, and saw it was about the descendants instead. I'll have to pick up a few more of Judith McNaught's books, methinks!

message 33: by Gigi, Moderator (last edited Jul 13, 2011 07:16AM) (new)

Gigi | 833 comments CaroB wrote: "Gigi wrote: "CaroB wrote: "I've loved this book! It brought to mind some of my first romance reads. And talk about crossed wires! *sigh*"

Wasn't Royce dream-worthy!! This was your first time read..."

LOL! Yes, I loved Jenny's spunk although there were a few times towards the end when I wanted to strangle her and you know what I'm talking about without spoiling anything. LOL I would have loved a book about Stephen Westmoreland (Royce's brother as well). The next book in the series is Whitney, My Love which is as you stated about Royce's descendants- you should definitely give that one a go! My other favorite JM books besides this one are Once and Always (no relation to the Westmorelands) and Until You (Stephen's book- Royce's other great grandson). If you start reading her other books, characters from previous books pop up so the HR's are linked in some ways. The only ones I'd suggest reading in sequence are Whitney My Love first and Until You second. WML introduces Stephen to us and gives us a little background for Until You (his book).

I love JM's HR's! I'm sad to say, that I've read them all!! LOL She needs to write a few more! LOL

message 34: by Lori (new)

Lori (corgimom) Really enjoying this book. I've laughed out loud at Aunt Elinor and her craz comments. She really brings some fun to the book. Especially envisioning her following after Arik chattering the whole way

message 35: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Lori wrote: "Really enjoying this book. I've laughed out loud at Aunt Elinor and her craz comments. She really brings some fun to the book. Especially envisioning her following after Arik chattering the whole..."

Lori, I completely agree! I kept wondering if she was really nice or if she was in cahoots with Jennifer's father, glad at the way it worked out.

message 36: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) This was a wierd book for me. The whole time I was reading it, I swore I read it before. I even remembered some details, but then certain parts of the story were different from the details I was remembering. I think I may have read another book that was eerily similiar and over the years, I combined the two?

I was a little leery about the constant misunderstandings between the two, because that can get tedious after a while (IMO), but I think Ms McNaught pulled it all off quite well.

I too loved Jennifer's spunk, and I too had to remind myself that she was 17 and had been pretty much sheltered from reality.

I wished really bad things on her father and her step-brothers. Not nice, but true.

Overall, really entertaining read. I ended up reading it in 1 day. Well, if you count the fact that I was up to 3am to finish it, then that qualifies as 2 days, techinically.