Love Inspired Historicals discussion

curious question of errors

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments Ok in the past 3 books I am reading or read two have had some major errors. The last one its because its a galley and not finished so I understand it although there are way more than normal. The other was finished but both of them one error is calling the hero the wrong name.
One book I noticed twice within about 20 pages the heroine was called the name of the heroine from the previous book in the series.
This book they got the wrong character in the book there are a couple of Ladies and the wrong one was used.
I have had it happen occasionally.
Do others notice this also. With the published book to use the previous heroine twice in a short time when the character wasn't in those chapters was quite surprising.

message 2: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments I have seen errors before too AusJenny but not too often. I would love to have a job of proofreading-I know I would do a better job as I really get into a book and notice when something is wrong...

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I totally find errors too! lol. Misspelled words or incomplete sentences, or no capitalization. I read one recently where they forgot the baby was in the woman's arms and he kissed her and she apparently had four arms all of sudden since she wrapped her arms around him. lol Can't remember what book it was.

message 4: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (JillianHart) The copy editor is responsible for correcting errors and keeping every detail consistent. Some are more eagle eyed than others. : ) You can always let the publisher know if you are unhappy with errors.

Personally, I catch a lot of whopper mistakes in my own writing stuff. It's hard to spot your own errors! Then again, maybe it's just me. LOL!

message 5: by Melody (last edited Jun 29, 2011 09:15AM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Oh I am queen of finding errors! It's a game for me sometimes. What I find the most often is no close quote when people are talking.

message 6: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 735 comments I often see the words misspelling in books, I had to look up the dictionary for right words to spellin or what the word meaning.

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy I see the ones that spell check won't find because it is a word but just in the wrong order or something. I am no English scholar but would love to pre-read a book to help check those things.

They are always minor and nothing that bothers me. Like using the wrong name and such. In a series written by several authors there was something destroyed in a book and it was there in the next book in perfect condition :-)

I will pre-read a book for any of you authors :-)

message 8: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I always thought that would be the best job ever Judy! I always can find mistakes in anyone else's work, but my own, I know what I meant to say, so I tend to see it as I meant it, lol. That's where my Mom comes in... :)

message 9: by Judy (new)

Judy Like I said I am not that good with English but somehow when reading I can pick it up. I stumble over the phrases in my smooth reading, not enough to complain :-)

I find since the computer and email era and even these forums I stop and look at my writing more. I see my own errors quicker although sometimes it is after I have posted. If I can't think of how to spell a word right I'll google it or use a different word.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments I found an error in the book I was reading today. They forgot to put a t so instead of the word "it" they ended up with "I".

message 11: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments I dont find the spelling errors as much as our spelling is a little different. the latest did have some and a few other errors but it is a galley before the final edit and I could see that. I would think the name error would be picked up.
But the other book was a finished book and to call the heroine the wrong name twice in a small time frame really stuck out considering I was sick at the time it was glaring.
I dont notice the other errors much. Although having a baby in one scene and not the next I think I would notice.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Oh I find spelling errors, punctuation errors, etc...i am good at proofreading. It's hard to find your own errors because you write what you think you are thinking and sometimes it just switches in your head. That's why they have you get two or three people to proofread your work in school for a reason. Other people who aren't familiar with the story will pick up on it easily.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments But then again, I used to be an English major! lol :D