Dead Poets Society discussion

Side-Reads > Harry Potter Read Along Discussion : Book 3

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Lee | 56 comments Mod
Prompts:

1.)Animals, real and magical, play a huge role in this book. Discuss the importance of Scabbers the rat, Crookshanks the cat, the black dog, Buckbeak the Hippogriff, and the werewolf.

2.)Dementors are soulless creaters that guard Azkaban and feed on happiness and positive feelings. Their presence makes things grow cold and dark and force surrounding people to relive their most awful memories. They can perform the Dementor's Kiss where they suck out the victim's soul. Rowling has said that she created the Dementors from her feelings of deep depression. Do you think these creatures are too macabre for a book that children read?

3.) Hermione had her own secret this year. Why didn't she share her special tool with Harry and Ron?

4.)Do you think Hagrid makes a better Gamekeeper or Care of Magical Creatures professor? Which of his lesson was your favorite or least favorite?

5.)In The Chamber of Secrets Lucius Malfoy leads to Dumbledore's suspension as Headmaster and in The Prisoner of Azkaban, he ensures that Buckbeak the Hippogriff will be executed for attacking Draco. Where does Lucius' power come from?

message 2: by Adriana (new)

Adriana I've got to say I love Sirius and Lupin!

4)Gamekeeper. Only because he got boring after Buckbeak.

5) Deatheater!!! I'm sure everyone knows he could hurt them if he really wanted too. Also, he has a lot of respect and a way with words I'm sure.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Lee | 56 comments Mod
4.) I completely agree, as much as I love him, I dont think he should be teaching children, he may be able to handle the creatures that he deals with, but I think its dangerous to expose children to them.. I know I'm a fuddyduddy.

5.) I think part of his power comes from the fact that hes a deatheater, I also think a great deal of his power comes from fear of Voldemort and the fact that his family is feared (I dont think his parents were like the Weasleys, I can't help but assume they were like him.)