Dead Poets Society discussion

Side-Reads > Harry Potter Read Along Discussion: Book 2

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Lee | 56 comments Mod
Prompts again:

1.) Do you think that Professor Lockhart is a malicious character or is he simply egocentric? How did your opinion of him change throughout the book?

2.) If you could mix up a batch of Polyjuice Potion who would you want to be and why?

3.) Professor Dumbledore tells a doubtful Harry, "It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." (page 333) Do you agree?

4.) Ginny feels foolish for falling under the spell of the diary, especially since her father always warned her "never to trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain." Knowing that, as well as the return of Lord Voldemort, how and why did Ginny get consumed by the diary?

5.) If Albus Dumbledore is considered one of the greatest wizards of all-time, why is he suspended as Headmaster of Hogwarts? What kind of danger does that leave the school and its future in?

message 2: by Adriana (new)

Adriana 1)I don't think he is that malicious even though he took credit for all those things. It's not like he is a dark wizard so I guess he would be more egocentric then malicious. He annoyed me throughout the WHOLE book! I can't believe Hermione fell for his idiocy! I was surprised he could do anything like that (changing people's memories) but not that surprised because he really didn't look like accomplished all that. Of course he was a fake.

message 3: by Adriana (new)

Adriana 2)hmmmm... don't think I would want to be anybody specifically since you don't gain their knowledge. Oooohhh... I would want to be Malfoy and make sure he becomes hated by Snape and get so may detentions. He deserves it! Or I would just be any Hogwarts student and learn some magic!

message 4: by Adriana (new)

Adriana 3)Of course I agree!!! You could be anyone. The most unsuspecting person can do something amazing (Neville) or someone evil can do something really good (Narcissa Malfoy saying that Harry was dead in the last book). You can see someone completely different not because they have extraordinary talent but because of their choices in life.

message 5: by Kristen (new)

3.) I find it interesting that you call Narcissa "evil". Do you really think that she is truly evil or do you think that she is more, guilty by association?

message 6: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Well she did end up marrying Lucius so she must have some evil in her. I think when she fell in love or maybe when she had Draco she became nicer. But I get what you mean. She's not really evil anymore. She's just a mother and wife now who wants to make sure her family is safe.

message 7: by Adriana (new)

Adriana 4)She was desperate for someone to talk to or in this case communicate with and Tom never judged her. It's not like she had a sister to talk to.

message 8: by Kristen (new)

3.) I really have a soft spot for Narcissa, I think that even though she married Lucius, she wasn't evil any more than someone who is arrogant because they have a lot of money and thats how they were raised is evil. I dont know, I dont consider Lucius to be evil either, I just think he doesn't know any better. Maybe that says more about me as a person than it does about the character, but I just feel like so often, evil people are just victims of upbringing and external circumstance. I think its really truly rare to find a truly evil person. No, your upbringing doesn't make it ok to be complete and utter A-holes, but making the wrong decisions in life, or being effected by your past doesn't make you a "rotten to the core" person. In my mind, Lucius was probably raised in a family that is much like he tries to make his own, judgemental, arrogant and extremely concerned with appearances. I feel like because that is how he was raised (probably Narcissa too to a point) his hunger for power and his choice to side with the wrong person in order to gain that power, is a result of upbringing and ingrained traits. Bellatrix on the other hand... whole other story.

4.) I think Ginny was consumed both literally and figuratively by the book. The literal consumation is easily seen in the chamber scene where Tom Riddle is consuming her in order to regenerate. The figurative consumation seems a bit more difficult to recognize to me. She becomes obsessed with the diary. This can be seen by her being "out of sorts" so to speak. For example, normal Ginny, would not have ransacked the boys dorm, nor opened the chamber. All of the other books indicate that she was more of a rule follower than a rule breaker (in general, except for DA) and would have been more likely to turn the diary in to the proper authority or speak to her parents about it. I understand that she doesn't have a sister to talk to, but she wasn't completely without friends to talk to. She chose to talk to the diary instead, and because Voldemort is a sociopath (psychopath?) he managed to addict her, and therefore make her obsessive and even consumed by it.

Now, does everything I said make sense or am I talking nonsense?

message 9: by Adriana (new)

Adriana 3)I think the same that evil or bad people are just victims of upbringing and some people I think are just born to be more susceptible to stuff that are not good because even if you had a good upbringing it doesn't mean you'll turn out okay. humph... Bellatrix.

4)What about Ginny's brothers? They made her like rule breaking I think. Before the DA was formed she lied to her mother at the Order. I think sociopath and psychopath means the same thing. Ginny is pretty vulnerable though so it was hard for her not to do the right thing.

Don't worry you're making sense.