Dead Poets Society discussion

Side-Reads > Harry Potter Read Along Discussion: Book 1

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Lee | 56 comments Mod
Just some discussion starters:

1.) Sometimes, the very qualities that seem to make a person disagreeable to you, as
Hermione was to Harry and his friend Ron at first, become assets to you once that
person becomes your friend. What qualities did Hermione bring to the group? What
does her integration into the group tell you about the nature of friendship? Why did
defeating the troll turn Harry, Ron, and Hermione into best friends?

2.) Professor Quirrell tells Harry that “There is no good and evil, there is only power, and
those too weak to seek it.” Do you agree with this? Is this the reality of the world?
Or if good and evil do exist, what makes them so? Which is more important in the world,
power, or good and evil?

3.) How did you feel about the characters? Whom did you like or not like and why?

4.) What did you think of the plot line development? Did the plot take turns you did not expect,
or did you find it predictable?

5.) Did any characters undergo change? What brought about these changes

message 2: by Adriana (last edited Jul 24, 2011 05:09PM) (new)

Adriana I know I'm late but...
1)Everyone says that Ron and Harry would have never made it if not for Hermione. She did a lot but Harry and Ron saved her life. Ron was the only one who could have gone past the chess set. And Harry is the hero! Hermione of course had most of the answers and knew the spells to get them out of almost everything fast. I don't know what it tells you about the nature of the friendship. I think when Harry and Ron saved her from the troll Hermione was able to forgive Ron and Harry so she lied for them which showed Harry and Ron that she wasn't all bad and they could become friends. She was deep inside like them.

message 3: by Adriana (new)

Adriana 2)No. Power makes me think of selfish people which the world is filled with and everyone is a little bit selfish. I think good and evil does exist but not everyone has only goodness in them or evil. There are really evil people in this world that do horrible things but they weren't born evil so they once had goodness in them so they will always still have a little bit of goodness in them. I wouldn't say good and evil. I would only say good. Power will just take you away from being a good person and put you in a dark place. The more power you have the more you want which makes you hurt others and in turn hurt yourself.

message 4: by Adriana (new)

Adriana 3)I always love the main character because they are the center of it all and you see Harry from the beginning and you know what he has been through and I want him to succeed. I always want the main character to achieve whatever they hope to. I don't remember what I thought of Hermione when I first met her but she was annoying in the beginning. But since I know her I know how it all turns out and I like her. She keeps Ron and Harry on track and is just really... awesome! I didn't really like Ron for making Hermione cry and he seemed pretty hopeless. Now that I've read all of them already I don't think that anymore but I think that's what I felt in the beginning. He was pretty entertaining though. I LOVE the Weasley twins! Percy is so pompous. I really don't like him. I do like Snape now but I probably was thinking what is his problem when I first met him. I love Professor McGonagall!