Book Nook Cafe discussion

What did you read last month? > What I read in June 2011

Comments (showing 151-158 of 158) (158 new)    post a comment »
1 2 4 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 151: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3332 comments Shomeret, you are breaking my heart with the Hogan books! I've only found one with any--only 2 there. Online is where i've found her poetry & not much of that.

As for the Wall novel, i did appreciate many of the expressions she had characters use. I took a break while reading the book but it just didn't call to me, so that is one way i judge novels now. This may not be fair but good ones sing to me when i'm away from them. I'm tickled to know you enjoyed it, though, Shomeret.

deborah

message 152: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 183 comments Linda Hogan's poetry book The Book of Medicines is available at 599 libraries including Dallas Public Library and Houston Public Library. Amazon has it new for $10.95 and used for as low as $2.35.

message 153: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3332 comments Thank you for the Hogan info. I do not belong to the Dallas library because it is $250 for a yearly card as a non-resident. My dad's is a suburb of Dallas. I was surprised at the fee when we moved here. Is this typical? In the Dakotas it was $30 or so but in Oregon it was a bit over $100 (more now, i see).

About the poetry, i only meant what i'd read was online. Not that i tried to find a book online. I haven't. Indeed, i haven't bought a book of poetry in years, as i find i don't read them often enough to warrant owning them. I still enjoy checking them out of libraries, though.

In the process of checking out non-resident fees i learned something. I knew about a program called TexShare, a sort of mutual library card sharing system. When i first moved here i signed up but Dallas wasn't part of it. Now it is but you can't "reserve", only get what is on the shelves when you are there. Definitely worth it, imo.

deb

message 154: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 700 comments Madrano wrote: "Thank you for the Hogan info. I do not belong to the Dallas library because it is $250 for a yearly card as a non-resident. My dad's is a suburb of Dallas. I was surprised at the fee when we moved ..."

yowza, that is a lot when you cannot even reserve and have books delivered to your local library!

I pay $20 a year to belong to the Delaware library system. Even though I live in PA, the closest library, 3 miles away, is in Delaware. And my beach house is in Delaware too, and the local library is 1.5 miles away. A wonderful investment even for ten times the price, IMO. I have even left a nice chunk of money to my libraries in my will.

message 155: by Madrano (last edited Aug 04, 2011 09:49AM) (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3332 comments Way to keep them going, JoAnn. This is a great deal for you, given it's a different state, too. In Portland, Oregon, they had reciprocal sharing with Vancouver, Washington, which was right across the Columbia.

deb

message 156: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 700 comments Madrano wrote: "Way to keep them going, JoAnn. This is a great deal for you, given it's a different state, too.."

Since I am officially a PA resident, I have to pay to use the Delaware libraries. But they are so close to me. It is wonderful. Besides, we barely live in PA - and we do everything in Delaware.

message 157: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 183 comments The last time I paid for a library membership was when I was in my twenties which was thirty years ago. I lived in New York City but I was walking distance from a very nice Long Island library. It was literally down the street from me. So I paid fifty dollars a year to take out books there. It was well worth it. The Queens Public Library branch that was down the street in the other direction was the size of a walk in closet.

message 158: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 11646 comments Shomeret wrote: "The Queens Public Library branch that was down the street in the other direction was the size of a walk in closet.
---------------

Yes, the branch libraries are small. However, you can request books from the main branch as well as all the other branch libraries.

1 2 4 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Ghost and Mrs. McClure (other topics)
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption (other topics)
Journal of a Solitude (other topics)
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (other topics)
Father Abraham: Lincoln and His Sons (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Alice Kimberly (other topics)
May Sarton (other topics)
Jamie Ford (other topics)
Laura Hillenbrand (other topics)
Harold Holzer (other topics)
More...