Oly Reads discussion

Book Talk > Olympia books...

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:02PM) (new)

Agathafrye | 751 comments Mod
What books make you think of our lovely rainy burg, and why?

message 2: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:02PM) (new)

Not sure why, but the book "Garden State," which was later made into a kick-ass movie, reminds me of Olympia. I think it's some of the characters and the general way that the environment is described. Also, the character Ignatius Reilly from "A Confederacy of Dunces" has always seemed like someone who should or would live in Olympia. He would certainly be tolerated here in a way that he might not in other, less charitable cities.

message 3: by Blujbird (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:03PM) (new)

Blujbird Twig | 20 comments I did not read the "Garden State" myself. When I think of a book that reminds me of Olympia a couple of books stand out, You Can't Win by Jack Black and The Living by Annie Dillard. Both historical fiction and taking place near, or on the sound.
Annie Dillard portrays such a sence of place in what I consider one of my favorite books. You can't win true(?) story about a drifter who commits nickle and dime robbery's for a living.
I totally agree with you about Ignatius Reilly from "A Confederacy of Dunces". Don't we have a few here anyway?

message 4: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:03PM) (new)

I love Annie Dillard. And yes, I can think of about four Ignatius Reilly's in my life without even trying.

message 5: by Jon/orca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Jon/orca Books | 1 comments A self-righteous academic shut-in in Olympia? Yeah I see that too!

Just saying hi evabody, this is Jon from friendly Orca Books downtown. If you're in a book group, register it here and git 10% off the book.

Take care.

message 6: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Hi, Jon! We don't have a book group yet, but if there's interest we could start one.

message 7: by Tim (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:05PM) (new)

Tim Holman I have always felt that Raymond Carver was writing about some of the people I grew up with in Olympia/Tumwater. If you haven't read any of his writing, "Fires" is a nice place to start because it has essays, short stories, and poems. I have always loved his poem, "When water comes together with other water."

message 8: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

I love Raymond Carver. My favorite is "Cathedral." Such a heartbreakingly beautiful story.

message 9: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 259 comments Mod
When it's raining in Olympia, I think staying indoors and reading ANY book is wonderful! One of my favorite books, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, starts off with a perfect line for a rainy evening read - "It was a dark and stormy night."
I'm not kidding!

message 10: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 259 comments Mod
The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch is actually set in Olympia.

message 11: by Emmett (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Emmett | 3 comments "So Fair a Dwelling Place", Gordon Newell, a short history of Olympia.

"Rogues, Buffoons and Statesmen," Gordon Newell, a much longer history.

"Mighty Mountain," by Archie Binns, historic fiction about treaty days 1855-58 around Olympia.

message 12: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

I've been wanting to read those first two, and the third one is new to me. We have all three of those books at the library!

message 13: by Merwyn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Merwyn Haskett | 46 comments I miss having Gordon Newell around to keep Olympia's history alive. He was a friend of my Grandpa's and I met him once at some Maritime Club's meeting. It's a shame that so much history is lost with the passing of his generation.

message 14: by Emmett (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Emmett | 3 comments I'm wondering if SFADP is out of copyright. Since the text is freely available (that link above), it would be interesting to do a reprint to fundraise for the library.

message 15: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:33PM) (new)

That's a great idea!

message 16: by Meridee (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Meridee | 12 comments I have to agree about The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch. I spent a lot of time staying with my grandparents on the bay. All the kids ran free, we had boats available, woods to roam, and few restrictions yet we didn't do bad things - we played and explored. Nighttime on the bay was magic.

message 17: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

Welcome Meridee!