Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Okay, let me try again...this I LOVE this feature!

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:02PM) (new)

Laura (LauraStamps) | 39 comments I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this yet, but yesterday I noticed the "Laura's Recent Updates" section on my profile page. And these updates are even listed by day. WOW! I love this! Considering how much trouble I have had lately receiving email notifications from Goodreads, because of various computer issues, this is wonderful, and helps me keep up with responses from my friends to my comments, and so much more.

Just wanted to say thanks! I absolutely love any feature that makes my life easier and this one definitely does (grin).

message 2: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:02PM) (new)

rivka | 12269 comments Mod
And since it updates quite frequently, those who need their GoodReads fix more often than once a day can get a hit.

. . . not that I know anyone like that. O:)

message 3: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Yes I've been meaning to post about that!

Basically, we now list the 10 most recent updates for each person on their profile page. What you see on your homepages is a mashup of that list of all your friends. The other cool part is now you can delete items from your profile, so if you added a book review and accidentally left the 'add to update feed' checked when you didn't mean to, you can now go to your profile and remove it!

The next step for us will be changing the daily friend update email to use the update feed.

message 4: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Rob McMonigal | 41 comments Hmm...so if a person has done more than 10 updates, we don't see those on the home page anymore? That's going to mean potentially missing out on seeing new books added by friends, isn't it?

I rather like being able to see everything a person recently updated on my home page, so if that's going away, is there another way that can be viewed without having to click over their books page each day (which seems time consuming if you have more that a few friends)?

-Rob

message 5: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

I misread the OP. Now that I see what was actually being discussed, I just have to say, COOL!

message 6: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:05PM) (new)

Hmm...so if a person has done more than 10 updates, we don't see those on the home page anymore?

I can confirm this, since one friend's earlier update just got bumped in favor of her more recent one. But both from today, so if I hadn't happened to see the earlier one, I wouldn't even know about it.

I like the "my updates" bit, and the ability to edit it. But like Trebro, I am concerned about missing friends' new books.

message 7: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Rivka,

You bring up a great point. Our thinking in limiting it to 10 updates per person was that its very annoying when one person comes along and adds 100 books in a day, and then thats all you see on your homepage. This way, you are guaranteed to see at least 5+ different people's updates.

However you are right if one or two of the 100 updates from one person were of interest you might miss them. I'm not sure of the best solution for this however. Some options are:

1. You might trust your friend to only add reviews they think their friends will care about to their update feed.
2. We might put rules to make only the higher rated 10 out the 100 added books in the update feed.
3. We could increase the limit slightly (20?, 30?)
4. We could finally implement the feature we've been meaning to do which limits the updates to only show books with text reviews.

After writing this post, I kind of like #4. Thoughts?

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Whatever you do is fine with me, but I must say that I've gotten wonderful ideas for books to read and also reminders of books I've read but not yet added/rated/reviewed from various friends' updates, including when they've only rated and not reviewed books and when they've marked books to-read or currently reading as well. I'd hate to miss out on some of those. Guess I can always look at friends' and other Goodreads users' profile pages/bookshelves. I do that already anyway.

message 9: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Caroline | 128 comments #4 sounds like the best solution--I'd much rather see the reviews my friends have posted rather than just ratings

For a while, I'm sure I annoyed my friends by adding tons of books a day (and I didn't realize it was updating my feed! I had toggled the box to not add to my update feed when I added a book, but forgot to toggle it in my Preferences. Oops) and would have much preferred the more irrelevant updates to not show up by default.

Oh, and a question about this: while the homepage does limit friends to 10 updates a day, does it do the same thing for the e-mail digest? And if you did implement #4, would it also suppress those additions in the digest?

message 10: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (Bricoleur) | 53 comments Otis: wrt to your suggestions on showing updates:

I like #4... If I add a review to a previously entered book it should qualify for inclusion, but if I add a new book without review it should not qualify.

#2 ignores the impact of "poor" reviews. Quite simply, a single strong negative review from a "friend," whose opinion I respect, can be more informative than a strong positive from the "masses" and thus have a greater influence on what I read next.

#1 is problematic for people in their initial input stages. In entry of the books in my library I was certainly was "guilty" of adding a hundred books a day... At ~1000 books, I'm only about a 1/4 through this process (and then have the "just read" still to go) and although, once I realized I might be flooding my friends with books of historical interest to me (but probably little current value to friends), I toggled off the appropriate setting in my profile -- then when I enter current readings, I toggle the switch back on so if I forget to reset I shudder at what the deluge is like.

#3 could lead to drowning in information... I do think some "throttle" is needed.

message 11: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (Bricoleur) | 53 comments After reading Lisa's comment, I have one more thought...
why not add a "sub-switch" in our profile that gives an additional toggle under the "add a book to your shelves" to the effect of "only add if a review is attached"...
This puts the onus on the person generating the record ... and effectively gives a balance between the needs for "bulk entry" vs ongoing membership in the community

message 12: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Rob McMonigal | 41 comments Is it possible to maybe set it so that the e-mail gives a full list and the update page only gives the most recent 10 things? That way it doesn't clutter the home page, and those who want to see everything (me, Rivka, and some others) would know we can check our daily e-mail to do just that.

-Rob

message 13: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments I like Rob's idea!

message 14: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Certainly works for me. I already changed my settings to get update emails daily instead of weekly.

And I like David's suggestion. Except that I would prefer that the choice be left up to the recipient, rather than the generator.

I'd also vote for #3. 25 is a nice round number. ;)

message 15: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Kate (kate-schmate) | 42 comments This seems like an unpopular choice, but I'd rather not have information taken away from me. I appreciate all of my updates, even ones without reviews. In particular I like to see what my friends are marking to-read, and it's even more special if they add as to-read a book I've just reviewed.

(Maybe it's different for people with 200 friends; I'd expect so. But if you don't care to see the books all those people are reading/adding, why are you friends with them?)

I don't have time every day to read a long email full of updates - though I do subscribe, just in case - whereas when I have the chance to log into the site, I want more rather than less browsing material on my home page.

I like the toggle idea, but I think the onus should be on the other side - we each choose how to view our own home pages. "View all updates" vs. "View only reviews," that sort of thing.

message 16: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Caroline | 128 comments The problem with bigger friends lists is that sometimes all of those ratings are pushing "real" updates off of our homepage if we're not able to check it constantly. When there's only a set number of updates allowed on the homepage, and I have a friend that adds 50 books with only ratings in a day, I'd rather see the one book that they added an interesting review to.

I'd like to see both, but when I go to my homepage here I'd rather see the more detailed updates and then see the less detailed in the e-mail update.

If there weren't a limit to the size of the homepage, I think this discussion would be entirely different, but that'd probably be way too daunting for Goodreads to manage (especially with those people who do have 200 friends--can you imagine the size?). I have a relatively small list of friends in comparison to a lot of people, and even I have had problems with reviews getting pushed off my homepage by ratings.

I think you're right with the toggle option--it'd be nice to control what I see of my friends, and give my friends a choice in what they want to see from me.

message 17: by Femmy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Femmy | 118 comments I agree with Kate on this one. I try to be selective when approving friends, so my updates is filled only with books from people I care to see.

message 18: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Like Kate, I love it when I see one of my Goodreads friends add a book to their to-read list soon after I've done the same or after I've rated &/or reviewed a book. I like all kinds of updates, but on the screen or in an email, as long as I see them somewhere, it's ok with me. With the emails, I combine reading and skimming depending on what info is there.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

No. 4 works, but why not just have a "more..." link at the bottom of that person's first 10, which then takes us to their page where all of it is listed? This way I still see the first 10 of several friends on my home page, but I have a link to follow to a specific friend's longer list.

message 20: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Currently, it's not sorted by friend. It's sorted chronologically -- which is definitely my preference.

By the way, Kate, you needn't get an email once a week. You can choose how frequently you get the email (if you choose to receive it at all) on your preferences page. OTOH, I agree with you -- I'd rather have more information, rather than less.

message 21: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

I'd like to use this post to help formulate if/how we should change the daily update email.

Currently the email only includes book reviews from friends, as opposed to the homepage updates which have comments and group & friend notifications. Also, there is no way to avoid adding a book review to your friends update email if they are opted into receiving it. The update feed was designed to give people more control, and we've always intended to make the update email use the update feed.

So my questions are:
1. Would it be annoying to occasionally get daily update emails that didn't have book reviews in them? Sometimes the only updates from your friends might just be comments, etc.
2. Using the update feeds for the update email would mean, as some people have pointed out above, that it would be limited to max 10 updates per person. How would that balance against the problem in #1?

We might need to add additional settings to address these problems but we just wanted to get a sense of how big an issue these things are before we tackle the problem!

message 22: by Matt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Matt Mazenauer (provlear) | 9 comments I'm along with Trebro on this. There are a lot of us who are using this site for the social aspect, finding out what out friend are reading. I guess I can understand keeping the homepage uncluttered, but I shudder to think there would be some limit that arbitrarily lets me know some things about my friends' updates and not others. I'm hoping that either the homepage or the emails still tells us everything, so I'm not missing anything.

For reviews vs ratings and reviews, almost all of my friends are lazy and only rate things. So fi it were always a review-only update, I'd hardly get anything. Though I can see the want for a toggle option for some people.

As for comments and email messages, i'm fine with those being separate emails like they are now. Those require response usually and kind of need to be highlighted.

message 23: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Rob McMonigal | 41 comments I'm perfectly okay with my daily e-mail sometimes only giving me posts and things, not books. As with Matt (and Lisa and Rivka), I just want to be sure there's a way I'm getting *all* my friends' updates, not just a sample. Whether that's the home page or an e-mail doesn't really matter to me. :)

-Rob

message 24: by Schnaucl (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Schnaucl | 61 comments I like having comments e-mailed separately for the same reason as Matt. I like to respond to them and they need to be highlighted for me to do that.

message 25: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Caroline | 128 comments I definitely don't think it'd be annoying to get some e-mail updates without reviews in it, since what I like about those is they give me the ability to see all of my friend's activity (well, aside from comments--I would definitely like to see those added into the update feed) in one given day. Some days, I just don't have the time to check my homepage and so I can miss out on updates if my friends have been super-active, so I definitely think it'd be great to have everything added into the daily e-mails.

If it's a choice between missing some updates, though, I'm always in favor of keeping the reviews over simple ratings. I like the idea of keeping the homepage to more "pressing" updates like reviews or discussions, and the e-mail for things that would otherwise push those off my homepage. Hope that makes sense!

message 26: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Kate (kate-schmate) | 42 comments Frustrating - I had posted this last night, guess it got lost.

I wouldn't be at all annoyed by emails without reviews. But it would be really disappointing for emails and the home page to be limited to 10 updates per person. That's choking off the amount of information I get to see about my friends' reading habits at a very low threshold. The main reason I use this site is to see that stuff. Please don't move in the direction of showing me less about what my friends are reading.

message 27: by Bluedaizy (last edited Mar 09, 2009 07:37PM) (new)

Bluedaizy | 45 comments I'm bringing this topic up again. I've friended someone who is reviewing the 2000+ books she added back in December, plus she is adding groups and friends right and left. I'm sure I was this annoying (probably still am) until I realized how to use the notification preferences.

Instead of limiting the number of reviews/friends/books, how about a pop up message after adding x number friends a day or x number reviews a day reminding that person that all their friends will receive a feed and are they sure they really want to do this (because it is ANNOYING). Maybe with a little note linking the feed preferences page?

I really hate to "defriend" this person because I like seeing what she's reading, and I don't have enough "top friend" activity to tune her out while she's learning the ropes.

Edit: I just updated my own settings and realized I'm using the wrong term with Notifications. But I hope you know what I mean.