Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) Dark Lover discussion

Life after the series...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Melanie Hardy Ok... so I finished the series... now what? This series was so captivating, funny, sexy and just overall wonderful, what do I read now? Any suggestions?

Myranda If you haven't read Sherrilyn Kenyon's Darkhunters series, then you should definitely start there.

Jennifer Drew Lynsay Sands- The Argeneau and Rogue Hunter series are great :)

Elayne KMM's Highlander series then her Fever's...they great!!

Melanie Hardy Thanks, everyone! I'll check those out!

Christina i love BDB. i also got into the series called "lords of the underworld" by:gena showalter, its kinda like BDB series each book is about each lord and like BDB they all live together so the othere people who were in previous books still have input and in the plot base. i beleave you can read the first book online at " onreads.com" and if you want a good paranormal romance series about vampires check out " night huntress" by: jeaniene Frost IM ADDICTED to that series . lol

Ashley reads Like Christina said you should read the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost!!!!! The Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian is also great, it is the same genre as BDB.

Elayne Both great!

Annielee if you liked BDB check out Alexandra Ivy's Guardians of Eternity series. I started with Book 1, WHEN DARKNESS COMES, but Book 3 was my fav. So HOT! But not quite as much violence as BDB.

Aestas Book Blog Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost (book 1: Halfway to the Grave) is hands down the BEST vampire series with a strong hero/heroine couple as the main characters that are consistent throughout the series. What I love about this series is that the author is strong enough to be able to create a gripping plot without f*cking around with her characters' relationship as a way of creating drama. They are perfect together. So in a nutshell, this series has an amazing plot, characters that tug at all your heartstrings, to die-for relationships... like BDB, its bedroom scenes are steamy and graphic... and is probably the only series to have a chapter hot enough that is can be referenced just by it's number and everyone knows what you are talking about :P Cat and Bones will steal your heart away more than any other book couple ever.

The other series which is just as good (but not vampire based) is the Darkfever series by Karen Marie Moning. It is 5 books long and is completed with one of the best endings/conclusions I have ever seen read . Having read the conclusion and having re-read the entire series, I find it interesting looking back on them that the author doesn't introduce ANYTHING that doesn't matter to the conclusion. Its amazing how EVERYTHING ties in together in the end. I can't say enough good about this series. And the male lead character simply defines 'alpha'. This too is another series where the main couple has become one of my alltime favourites every (although, the author does take a while to build their relationship, but it is SO worth it)

Robin Lyn Sherrilyn Kenyon's Darkhunters series are utterly amazing!! I read the BDB series and went into mourning afterwards to find something else equally as fascinating and this series has more than lived up to my expectations!

I also love the Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalter!

message 12: by Ruby (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ruby Okay, well I'm about to check out Showalter now :-)

message 13: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Zarro I definitely recommend Karen Marie Moning's Fever series. It is AMAZING. I've never had a series finale so breathtaking.

Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed books are good, too.

Whitney I recommend the Anita Blake series, sometimes its crazy but I love her core characters, they play out in your head so well that you get attached to them.

Also the Alex Craft Series, only two books out and so far so good.

I also really enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris.

Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian isnt bad.

I just started reading the Women of the Otherworld series and so far Im two books in and the books are not great for me but not horrible eiether.

Kerrelyn Sparks also has a PNR series thats a pretty good light read.

Nalini Singh has the Guild series and also The Psy/Changeling series. These series are both fantastic reads.

Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neil is a good light read series.

Shelly Laurenston has a Hillarious shifter series that will keep you laughing and sweating from the heat.

Kresley Cole's Immortal After Dark series has a good light/dark/sexy/funny mix going.

Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels and On the Edge series are read in one sitting books. They are both wonderful series.

Myranda I like your taste in books, Robin.

Alexandra Storm Addison wrote: "A friend of mine who read the BDB series also enjoyed Karen Marie Moning's Fever series. I've not read either, but you might be interested. ;)"

I am reading the fever series and it is downright good.

Melanie Hardy Thanks, everyone! I've downloaded the first book in the Darkhunters series. Going to try that first.

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny I'm lovin the Dark-Hunter series. Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian is great too.

Rjsmommy I agree with the above mentioned Dark Hunter Series...it was the first adult paranormal series I read and it got me hooked. Also love the Midnight Breed by Lara Adrian. Oh, and Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld is awesome. A cross between Greek Mythology based on the PAndora's Box story but then add in demons and evil human hunters and it's great. The ACRO series by Sydney CRoft just wrapped up after six books...it deals with agents with rare powers...better than I describe it. Larissa Ione's Demonica Series which just led into the new LOrds of Deliverance series is excellent. The Argeneau series got on my nerves after the fifth or sixth book and I haven't been able to pick it up again.

message 20: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Morton Thanks will check out Lords of the Underworld.... as for the other series mentioned I have read most of them and loved them all ;) Especially Anita Blake Vampire Hunter (but I like alot of steamy sex in my books).

message 21: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee I really like the Eternal Guardians series by Elisabeth Naughton - loosely based on greek mythology - they are descendents of Jason and the Argonauts

Jacque Melanie wrote: "Ok... so I finished the series... now what? This series was so captivating, funny, sexy and just overall wonderful, what do I read now? Any suggestions?"

Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost is a GREAT series to read while you wait on the next BDB installment.

Lindsey I love the series by Lara Adrian though Lynsay Sands are good. Also going to look into Shayla Blacks Doomsday Brethren series

AndreaH If you're looking for non-vamp/fantasy you might try Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series. It's got the same paramilitary/romance vibe without pointy teeth.

Tabitha Lara Adrian Midnight breed is awesome very similar to BDB. I also enjoy Jennifer Lyon winged slayer series, not vampires but still amazing! then there is Maggie Shayne Wings in the night series, also a very good series and would keep you busy with the 18th book in the series coming out this fall.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read the first in a series Nightfalland am hooked. Another series I am loving is Elder Races by Thea Harrison Dragon Bound

Fernanda Bomtempo-Marzo The Hollows series by Kim Harrison are really great also.

RoXXie | The Art of Reading Melanie wrote: "Ok... so I finished the series... now what? This series was so captivating, funny, sexy and just overall wonderful, what do I read now? Any suggestions?"

You might wanna try Lara Adrian series of the "Midnight Breed". Those are similar to the BDB books. Also with a lot of erotic and action. But watch out, don't get twisted with the characters. ;)

Beatrix I recommend you Sentinel Wars series by Shannon K. Butcher, I just finished.

Carly Kresley Cole immortals after dark series!! brill!!

Rhianna i don't want the BDB series to end.. i'm so addicted! Halfway through the 4th book so far, it just get's better in my opinion

Aestas Book Blog Dark-Hunter series by Sherrylin Kenyon. As someone else put it "I crushed over and over and over again" on her tortured alpha heroes + heroines" ... and there are like 20 books in this series so like so many others, it wont be over as soon as it gets good.

i also just finished reading her sci-fi romance series The League and they are incredible too!

RoXXie | The Art of Reading Rhianna wrote: "i don't want the BDB series to end.. i'm so addicted! Halfway through the 4th book so far, it just get's better in my opinion"

Rhianna, I feel you on this one. I am almost done with book #7 in English. Already read all books in German, as far as they were published. And I can't get enough of it. And having new characters coming into the series makes it more exciting.

message 34: by Jane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane I would also recommend Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series, Karen Marie Moning's Fever series, Anita Blake (although they're a bit off the wall after about the 8th one), Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series is great and Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse.

Not so keen on the Argeneau series but they're readable.

Now I'm going to have to try the Darkhunter books

message 35: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee the first 6 or so dark-hunters were good, after that it just went downhill...i'm glad i only borrowed the last one - it wasn't worth the money to buy it

message 36: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Sep 21, 2011 04:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog i guess that depends on your preference in books, i personally loved all the Dark-
Hunter books. what i especially loved was that there was a backstory that built throughout the whole series (and also some stories like Acheron's that built up over the course of 15 or so books before he got his own). and characters from previous books banded together to help each other as the books progressed making for emotionally-charged moments that a reader simply wouldnt get having not read them all. that to me is part of what i look for in a series. building a complex world with characters i can get emotionally attached to. I guess it depends on how much you love the world she created. Personally I adored it and would happily read another 20 of the if they were available.

Chris Christine Feehan's Game series very good! Not vampires, but still paranormal. I also recommend Karen Marie Moning's Fever series.

message 38: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee don't get me wrong - I liked the earlier DH, but recently they have just gone downhill...Retribution was horrendous...it was like that was not even in the story ARC she had been building...but like you said, its an individual preference

Rjsmommy I agree that Retributioin was horrendous...it's the first book I only gave a 2 star rating to...and it probably deserved 1. But I've loved all the others especially Acheron's book. The next book, Guardian (a Dream-Hunter book) thankfully seems back on track. The oublisher posted the first four chapters and I'm looking forward to it based on those.

message 40: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee i never really got into the Dream Hunter books...I have t pre-ordered for the kindle, but thinking i'm going to cancel that and just get it from the library...

back to the question about after BDB - I really liked Chicagoland Vamps - 4 books out, book 5 due out in November (there is a cliff-hanger at the end of book 4) and I also just finished up the Succubus series - 6 books, the entire series is available

Aestas Book Blog is the succubus series more UF or more PRN (as in each book has an HEA)?

ya i personally found the dream-hunter books the hardest to get into but i read them (and the were-hunter books) in the order that they were intended to be incorporated into the dark-hunter series and found i enjoyed them more. also, the latest dream-hunter one was awesome!

message 42: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee UF - the 6 books focus around Georgina Kincaid - a succubus and her adventures (for lack of a better word) in Seattle...

Karla BookAddict2 you should chech this out.

Lords of the Underworld
the Carpathians
The midnight breed series
the Dark Hunnter Series

message 44: by Griosach (new) - added it

Griosach The Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman is good too. There isn't much romance to it, but there is a lot of snark, quick dialogue, and good fight scenes. Basically it follows the lives to two half-brothers and their fight against supernatural monsters.

Night Huntress
Immortals After Dark
Guild Hunter (Angel's Blade #1)
The Maker's Song (A rush of wings #1)

message 45: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa I really enjoyed these other series:

Immortals After Dark
Women of the Otherworld

Debbie Roush so I am a little confused. Is Lover Unleashed her last in the series? Or is there gonna be more? Cuz I couldn't find anything saying. Have you read Lara Adrian?

Sarouel Debbie wrote: "so I am a little confused. Is Lover Unleashed her last in the series? Or is there gonna be more? Cuz I couldn't find anything saying. Have you read Lara Adrian?"

No, i don't think Lover Unleashed is the last one, the series is suppose to have 10 books :)
It's almost ending :(

Lara Adrien? Read the first Midnight Breeds..hmmm..kind of boring for me, but the story was nice, not as cool as BDB, or
"The Lords or the Underworld", "Immortals After Dark", or "Dark Hunters" (really like those books, some of it are still cool, but not as great as in the beginning, my opinion, but it's a cool vampire story..

:)

message 48: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Oct 11, 2011 09:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog Lover Unleashed is not the last book. The next book, Lover Reborn, is coming out early next year. And I think there will be more books, I heard something in an interview (don't quote me) that Lassiter, Trez, iAm, Quin/Blay etc are all getting books so I don't think we've seen the last of this series by far.

Midnight Breeds... I'm actually in the middle of reading this series now. I'm on the second last one. Its interesting cuz Lara Adrian and JR Ward are good friends and its pretty obvious that the general plotline of the first Midnight Breeds book, Kiss of Midnight, follows the plotline of Dark Lover almost exactly (just not as developed, interesting, deep, or just plain good). This nearly threw me off when I was reading them but because I had purchased the whole series outright, I kept reading... It actually gets better by the second one and quite better by the 3rd. And now I really love the series. As soon as she develops her own world that doesn't feel like a knock off of Ward's world, her work really comes to life. So if you didn't like the first one, I don't blame you, but I suggest you read on. The series is quite good. for me it was 4 star though, not 5 star like the BDB.

edit: i just finished the latest Midnight Breeds book tonight and she has really pulled out all the stops. I can't wait for the next one. I'm officially a huge fan of the series

Re Dark Hunters. I ADORED the series. Flat out love her world. Yes, the latest book wasn't her best, but I have full faith that she'll be back on track with her next one. I literally cannot get enough of her books. Although if you have't read them, I strongly suggest reading them in order (don't like start with Acheron's book just cuz everyone is so crazy about it, you will enjoy it better if you read it in order cuz the series builds towards it), and read the Were-Hunter and Dream Hunter books integrated into the series as they were intended.

I've heard amazing things about Lords of the Underworld and Immortals After Dark so they are next on my TBR pile.

Haha, sorry for the uber-long post :P

Debbie Roush Well that is good to hear! whew!! lol

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ I just finished reading Lover Unleashed there is definitely more story to tell in this series of books. I can't wait to read the next one!

« previous 1