Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - July 2011 - Lilian Jackson Braun

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Jun 28, 2011 02:43PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
In honor of her death last month, our featured author for July is Lilian Jackson Braun, author of the Cat Who series.

"The Cat Who..." novels

1. The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (1966)
2. The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (1967)
3. The Cat Who Turned on and Off (1968)
4. The Cat Who Saw Red (1986)
5. The Cat Who Played Brahms (1987)
6. The Cat Who Played Post Office (1987)
7. The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (1988)
8. The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (1988)
9. The Cat Who Went Underground (1989)
10. The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (1990)
11. The Cat Who Lived High (1990)
12. The Cat Who Knew a Cardinal (1991)
13. The Cat Who Moved a Mountain (1992)
14. The Cat Who Wasn't There (1992)
15. The Cat Who Went into the Closet (1993)
16. The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (1994)
17. The Cat Who Blew the Whistle (1995)
18. The Cat Who Said Cheese (1996)
19. The Cat Who Tailed a Thief (1997)
20. The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (1999)
21. The Cat Who Saw Stars (copyright, 1998; published, 1999)
22. The Cat Who Robbed a Bank (2000)
23. The Cat Who Smelled a Rat (2001)
24. The Cat Who Went Up the Creek (2002)
25. The Cat Who Brought Down the House (2003)
26. The Cat Who Talked Turkey (2004)
27. The Cat Who Went Bananas (2005)
28. The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell (2006)
29. The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers (2007)
30. The Cat Who Smelled Smoke (cancelled by publisher, Putnam)

The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Turned on and Off (Cat Who..., #3) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who..., #4) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who..., #5) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who..., #8) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who..., #9) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who..., #10) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Lived High (Cat Who..., #11) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Knew a Cardinal (Cat Who..., #12) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Moved a Mountain (Cat Who..., #13) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Wasn't There (Cat Who..., #14) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Went into the Closet (Cat Who..., #15) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (Cat Who..., #16) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Blew the Whistle (Cat Who..., #17) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Said Cheese (Cat Who..., #18) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Tailed a Thief (Cat Who..., #19) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (Cat Who..., #20) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Saw Stars (Cat Who..., #21) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Robbed a Bank (Cat Who..., #22) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Smelled a Rat (Cat Who..., #23) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Went Up the Creek (Cat Who..., #24) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Brought Down the House (Cat Who..., #25) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Talked Turkey (Cat Who..., #26) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Went Bananas (Cat Who..., #27) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers (Cat Who..., #29) by Lilian Jackson Braun

Short stories
1. The Cat Who Had 14 Tales (1988)
2. The Private Life of the Cat Who ...: Tales of Koko and Yum Yum (2003)
3. Short & Tall Tales: Moose County Legends Collected by James Mackintosh Qwilleran (2003)

The Cat Who Had 14 Tales (Cat Who...) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Private Life of the Cat Who ... Tales of Koko and Yum Yum (from the Journals of James Mackintosh Qwilleran) by Lilian Jackson Braun Short & Tall Tales Moose County Legends Collected by James Mackintosh Qwilleran by Lilian Jackson Braun

There are quite a few Omnibus editions out there. I'm not going to list them all. There are however, a couple books inspired by the above that you might find interesting:

- The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun by Julie Murphy
- The Cat Who...Companion by Sharon A. Feaster

The Cat Who... Cookbook Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun (Cat Who...) by Julie Murphy The Cat Who...Companion by Sharon A. Feaster

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Jun 28, 2011 02:46PM) (new)

NY Times Obituary

Lilian Jackson Braun, ‘Cat Who’ Writer, Dies at 97
By MARGALIT FOX
Published: June 7, 2011

Lilian Jackson Braun, a mystery novelist whose best-selling “Cat Who” series repeatedly plumbed the hearts, minds and digestive tracts of her crime-solving feline heroes, died on Saturday in Landrum, S. C. She was 97.

Her death was announced by her publisher, G. P. Putnam’s Sons.

The series began in 1966 with “The Cat Who Could Read Backwards” and concluded in 2007 with “The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers,” its 29th volume. In between were, among other titles, “The Cat Who Played Brahms”; “... Knew Shakespeare”; “... Sniffed Glue”; “... Said Cheese”; and “... Smelled a Rat.”

The novels, which have sold millions of copies and been translated into 16 languages, appeared regularly on The New York Times’s best-seller list.

Their human protagonist is Jim Qwilleran, a newspaperman, amateur sleuth and all-round sensitive guy who lives in an unspecified northerly state that seems to have a disproportionate share of homicide.

Qwilleran’s sidekick — in the opinion of many, the book’s real star — is his intrepid, preternaturally intelligent Siamese shamus, Koko. Koko’s sidekick is Yum Yum, also a Siamese. (Like her namesake of Gilbert and Sullivan fame, Yum Yum is dainty and not precisely a cognitive giant, but she proves useful throughout the series for her dexterous, conveniently larcenous paws.)

Critical response to the books was generally favorable, with many reviewers praising their essential warmth and cozy charm. Others, however, faulted what they saw as scanty plotting and an overreliance on formulaic set pieces.

But for cat lovers, those set pieces offered dependable pleasures. In book after book, readers could luxuriate in tenderly described scenes of cats purring, cats grooming, cats eating — Qwilleran fed them high-end fare like lobster and crabmeat — cats frolicking and, of course, cats sleeping.

At opportune moments, Qwilleran’s cats throw up clues, as when they pull highly significant books down from shelves. They also throw up hairballs, as cats are wont to do.

Lilian Jackson was born on June 20, 1913, in Willimansett, a village within the city of Chicopee, Mass. The Depression put a college education out of reach; as a young woman, she worked as an advertising copywriter and public-relations executive before spending many years as a lifestyle writer and editor at The Detroit Free Press.

Ms. Braun’s first husband, Louis Paul Braun, died before her. A longtime resident of Tryon, N.C., she is survived by her husband, Earl Bettinger.

After writing “The Cat Who Could Read Backwards,” Ms. Braun quickly followed the book with two more, “The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern” (1967) and “The Cat Who Turned On and Off” (Dutton, 1968).

Then, discouraged by the market’s seemingly insatiable demand for sex and violence in mystery novels — her books have little of either — she set the series aside for 18 years. After retiring from The Free Press, she resumed with “The Cat Who Saw Red,” which appeared in 1986 .

An indication of just how fully Ms. Braun’s series had insinuated itself into popular culture came in 2003 in the form of a satirical mystery novel by Robert Kaplow. Its title: “The Cat Who Killed Lilian Jackson Braun: A Parody.”

The Cat Who Killed Lilian Jackson Braun A Parody by Robert Kaplow

message 3: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 451 comments Ohh--I'm up for this--I have several of her books but not in order . My Mother in law loved the books and gave me several. I'll have to get started with the first one!

message 4: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Jun 28, 2011 02:47PM) (new)

I have a few but havn't read them either Katherine. In honor of her death last month, I thought it was appropriate to feature her as our author this month.

Added the cookbook, companion, and parady books. Not by the featured author, but interesting just the same.

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 451 comments I agree--thank you for your thorough organizational skills--you really make this strand fun!

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I have all of her books save the last one - I'll try to get that one to read this month and complete my collection at the same time. :)

message 7: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 1357 comments I've still got 2 left on my TBR shelves. So The Cat Who Said Cheese will be my next read.

message 8: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments The cookbook might be interesting. I could never manage to get through one of the books.

message 9: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 19582 comments Mod
Cool, I have a few of these, as well as the Moose County book.

message 10: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments Great books! Great author! I have many of her books and even the cookbooks. I want to get her latest and go with that one. Does anyone know why the publisher doesn't have any intentions on releasing her The Cat Who Smelled Smoke?

message 11: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

No idea Tricia. It's what I found listed on wikipedia. My personal guess would be either it's not finished yet and they'd have to get approval to get someone else to finish it, or they have to wait for her estate to be settled and figure out the publishing rights with the heirs. If enough of it was finished, it will probably eventually get published. I appreciate though that the publisher didn't rush to publish a work that may not have been complete yet to cash in on her death.

message 12: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 418 comments I have a couple of her books in the tbr so I'll join in as well.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this series. I've read them all and loved them all except for The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers, which I thought was a bit weird. Still I can't wait to see what everyone thinks of this series :)

message 14: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Perhaps Bella, that's because it was the last book she wrote just 4 years ago, and she died last month at 97. It's great she was able to write at her age, but it may explain why you thought the last one wasn't as good as her earlier works.

message 15: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) I have been looking for an excuse to dust one off and read it. I have most if not all of them.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) It's my feeling that the earlier books were cozy mysteries but the last several were more about checking in with the residents of Moose County than about actually solving mysteries. JMHO. That's why I hadn't yet picked up the 60 whiskers book. But now I have the perfect incentive to go ahead and read it. :)

message 17: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 1357 comments Karen M wrote: "I've still got 2 left on my TBR shelves. So The Cat Who Said Cheese will be my next read."

Okay, so I can't find the book. So instead I will read The Cat Who Sang for the Birds.

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen I have on of hers on my shelf I have never read so am going to read it: The Cat Who Talked Turkey (Cat Who..., #26) by Lilian Jackson Braun

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie This is a great series! I do believe the latter books were not as good as earlier ones, but still worth reading.

message 20: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments I finally found The Cat Who Could Read Backwards at the library, so I'll read that. The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts is on top of one of my TBR piles, so I'll try to read that one this month also.

message 21: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I found The Cat Who Could Read Backwards on bookswap so I'll read that when it arrives.

message 22: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 71 comments I really enjoy most of the books, have not liked the two short story books I read much though

message 23: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Carol wrote: "Can we listen to the unabridged audio version, and count that as reading? I found several of her books on CD at the library, and being able to listen to them while I do some mundane stuff like clea..."

I don't see why not. They count on other groups I'm in!

message 24: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Carol wrote: "Can we listen to the unabridged audio version, and count that as reading? I found several of her books on CD at the library, and being able to listen to them while I do some mundane stuff like clea..."

Audiobooks and ebooks, count just as much as reading a dead tree book.

message 25: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) It's thanks to GR that I finally started listening to audio books. I've discovered that in addition to reading & reading to my students, I love being read to!

It's one of the wonderful aspects of the world of reading that I'm always discovering something new & delightful.

message 26: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) I decided to listen to

The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts

The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who..., #10) by Lilian Jackson Braun

I have always read them so this will be a treat to see what voice they give Jim Qwilleran.

message 27: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (csgleason) | 11 comments I am rereading all of them and trying to create some trivia questions etc for a celebration to be held at our library perhaps this fall. I am also looking for places that remind of places int the books such as the Dismal diner, Lois's lunchenette, Tipsy's etc. I would love some input. Thanks

message 28: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments I read The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) by Lilian Jackson Braun . I had read several books in the series, so it was nice to finally read the first one to see how Qwilleran met Koko.

message 29: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (csgleason) | 11 comments The first four books occur "down below" in urban area with two newspapers, at a time when towns had two newspapers! The rest of the series is more rural, with the exception of the Cat Who Live High which was a visit back to "down below". I believe it was George Guildell or something like that who read most of the books on tape. Coming from Michigan the landscape of the books both urban and rural are familiar to me, and I like the social life that she creates. I love books with a sense of place that I can go to, and yes sometimes the mysteries seem tangential to the life stories in the books.

message 30: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I've got my copy of The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) by Lilian Jackson Braun & am looking forward to starting it. It's the first Lilian Jackson Braun I'll have read.

message 31: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (csgleason) | 11 comments I think if you read them in order they are a real treat!The third one is my all time favorite because it involves antiques and junk! There is a book Two Cats Three Tales that includes the first three books!

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan (susangrimes) | 19 comments Just picked up my copy of the Cat Who Read Backwards. I have read a few of the later books, but I agree that it will be good to read the first in the series so I can finally figured out how this all got started.

message 33: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I read The Cat Who Turned on and Off. The combination of antiques, mystery, and cats was quite enjoyable. I am new to the series - are there characters that appear in every book besides Quill and the cats?

message 34: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (csgleason) | 11 comments Yes there are characters that appear in most every book.
Arch Riker his editor, in the "Down Below" books which are the first four books. Later Arch shows up in the Moose county books. The Cat who Played Brahams is the book that gets Quill up to Moose County. Several of the Characters from "down below" move to Moose county and there are many repeat characters when you start the Moose county books. @Suzanne

message 35: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Thanks for the info about recurring characters Colleen! Even more incentive to read more =).

message 36: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (csgleason) | 11 comments @ Suzanne, I am working on rereading them all for a program at my local library! I will be making a blue pillow like the one the cats sleep on and we will have a drawing for it. i hope others around the county find ways to get together and tell there favorite Qwilleran stories.!

message 37: by Susan (new)

Susan | 95 comments The Cat Who series has always been one of my favorites. I didn't read the books in order, but I think I have them all. I have been planning on rereading them in order this time but I haven't had the chance to yet.

message 38: by ❂ Murder by Death (last edited Jul 22, 2011 04:22AM) (new)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I'll miss out on this month's featured author since the last book in the series, The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers - the only one I haven't yet read, - didn't arrive before I left for the US on holiday (warm weather! Sunshine! Wheee!). I go back in August so it will be there waiting for me when I get home. :)

message 39: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 29 comments I know I read some of The Cat Who...books way back when I worked in a bookstore (RIP Waldenbooks ) but I couldn't remember which ones so I just began at the begining and read The Cat Who Could Read Backwards. After reading it I remembered that I did like this series so I'm looking forward to picking it up again.

Given the comments here I may check out the next one on audio. Someone telling me a story really makes the work day commute much more tolerable.

message 40: by Karen (new)

Karen Karen wrote: "I have on of hers on my shelf I have never read so am going to read it:The Cat Who Talked Turkey (Cat Who..., #26) by Lilian Jackson Braun"
I now know why I put off reading this. I am glad it is over with and I can get rid of it. i think it was worse than One I read of hers several years back which I received at the same time as this one.

This is my review: Cozy groups author of the month. Finally getting to it. Will see how it goes, I did not care for last one I read of hers.

I am sad this lady passed on, but her books should pass on with her. A mystery should be a mystery not just droll boredom existence.No mystery at all.
Let the turkeys feather their nest with it.
I know many of you like these as I have read: So please do not hold it against me that-even though I have read worse, this is in the top annoying category. Do not even like the cats. The barn house was the only good part and it was iffy.

message 41: by Karen (new)

Karen ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "NY Times Obituary

Lilian Jackson Braun, ‘Cat Who’ Writ..."

Well your introduction is great. Maybe I would have liked the book better if I had read it first.

message 42: by Melodie (last edited Jul 25, 2011 07:24PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Karen wrote: "Karen wrote: "I have on of hers on my shelf I have never read so am going to read it:The Cat Who Talked Turkey (Cat Who..., #26) by Lilian Jackson Braun"
I now know why I put off reading this. I am glad it is over with a..."

Don't feel alone, Karen. I tried reading one of these several years ago, and only got about 30 or 40 pages read and it was all I could do. I used to buy these for my niece, though, years ago and she liked them. She must have been about 14 or 15 at the time. I worked part-time at B.Dalton's at the time and would buy the new ones for her when they came out.

message 43: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I was never able to get into any of Lilian Jackson Braun's books-until now. I'm finally reading the first in the series, The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) by Lilian Jackson Braun and am enjoying it greatly.

message 44: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Glad so many of you are enjoying these.

message 45: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Kari wrote: "I am going to ask a dumb question but it has been bothering me for the past few days. Beaton still shows up as currently reading instead of Braun. I thought Braun was there before but I maybe mista..."

Sorry, just fixed it.

message 46: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 414 comments I'm glad I saw this thread, I didn't know LJB had died. I do love her series, they're easy and fun. The first one I read was The Cat Who Came to Breakfast as an audio book, and it's still my favourite. I think I liked them partly is because Qwill is incredibly rich (which I'd like to be) and has a lot of friends and enjoys spending money on them (which I'd like to do too). I'm not too sure I like Polly so much, she seems too perfect.

message 47: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments I finished The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who..., #10) by Lilian Jackson Braun a couple of days ago. It was good.

message 48: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 19582 comments Mod
Read The Cat Who Could Read Backwards over the weekend (yes, just getting this one in, lol). A cute, easy read. Loved Koko.

message 49: by Karen (new)

Karen Melodie wrote: "Karen wrote: "Karen wrote: "I have on of hers on my shelf I have never read so am going to read it:The Cat Who Talked Turkey (Cat Who..., #26) by Lilian Jackson Braun"
I now know why I put off reading this. I am glad it..."

Thanks for replying Melody. I am sorry it takes me so long to get back on here. I did not see if you tried to read one this month or not. I might have liked these as a teenager also. I guess I have just read to many "hard to put down's" that I just cannot do anything this slow and simple. when I have to force myself to read it thinking"ugh." I need to move on. Too many good reads out there to waste time, but the one's that do like them. I think that is great also. What makes everything interesting is our differences.

message 50: by Karen (new)

Karen You all are liking #1 in series. maybe she just went down hill from there.

« previous 1