Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Anything similar to Black Dagger Brotherhood?

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holjo (new)

Holjo (HolJoPedanticPhooka) | 3 comments Looking for another PR series that is written from the POV of dark alpha males like Wrath and Zsadist from BDB. Is there one???

message 2: by Schay (last edited Jun 28, 2011 02:05PM) (new)

Schay | 72 comments Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series is pretty good and quite similar in structure to BDB.
There are more than one POVs; usually the Breed warrior, his breedmate-to-be and the antagonist. Each book tells the tale of a different Breed warrior and there's a consistent plotline that spans throughout all the books (8 so far, 9 is being released soon)
I'd suggest reading some of the reviews for a more sound analysis :D

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalter

Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole

Both are great series (although Immortals After Dark is better, imo) and both remind me a little of the BDB setup.

message 4: by Holjo (new)

Holjo (HolJoPedanticPhooka) | 3 comments Schay wrote: "Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series is pretty good and quite similar in structure to BDB.
There are more than one POVs; usually the Breed warrior, his breedmate-to-be and the antag..."

I haven't heard of this one, thanks! I will definitely give it a try.

message 5: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn The Ferral Warriors by Pamela Palmer are similar to BDB.

Fani *loves angst* (FaniP) Larissa Ione's Demonica series, starting with Pleasure Unbound are very similar to the BDB books and just as great. They're told from both the hero's and heroine's POV though.

message 7: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 15 comments Holjo - The Midnight breed is great!!! It's the series that got me into PNR's.... and I just finished th3e third Demonica book which is also good... I personally wouldn't say it's better the BDB or the Breed, but it's goot... I like the way the author writes!!

message 8: by Vicci (new)

Vicci (TheiBookEmporium) | 193 comments You could try The Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalter.

The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld, #2) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld, #3) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld, #4) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld, #5) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld, #6) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld, #7) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Prison (Lords of the Underworld, #3.5) by Gena Showalter Heart of Darkness The Darkest Angel\Love Me to Death\Lady of the Nile (Lords of the Underworld, #4.5) by Gena Showalter

message 9: by Judy V (new)

Judy V (Faefreak) | 88 comments You could also try the Argeneau Vampires by Lyndsay Sands, The Dark Ones by Katie McAlister (not as "naughty") or how about Sherrylyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters. There are good series that I have enjoyed!

message 10: by Holjo (new)

Holjo (HolJoPedanticPhooka) | 3 comments Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the great suggestions!

message 11: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (truejourney) | 315 comments Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed 8-Book Bundle Kiss of Midnight, Kiss of Crimson, Midnight Awakening, Midnight Rising, Veil of Midnight, Ashes of Midnight, Shades of Midnight, Taken by Midnight by Lara Adrian Is VERY similar to BDB... I like BDB way better though :)

message 12: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 15 comments Jeannie... I agree with you that BDB is WAY better than the Breed books... HOWEVER... I would still totally give prop's up to the breed... I started my PNR fix on the series... read the Dark Hunter series, then BDB... and The Breed in nicely secure in second in my opinion... I like the overall running plot... it makes the series FEEL like a true series and not a bunch of character that know one another and have individual storys that don't intertwine with one another.

message 13: by Katya (last edited Jul 03, 2011 04:07PM) (new)

Katya | 645 comments If you are looking for a brotherhood type of series BDB is one of the best...The Midnight Breed group is very similar & the Lords of the Underworld is also very good. And there are some others-Not quite as good as BDB but worth looking into:

There is the Nightwalker Series by Jacqueyln Frank:
Jacob (Nightwalkers, #1) by Jacquelyn Frank Gideon (Nightwalkers, #2) by Jacquelyn Frank Elijah (Nightwalkers, #3) by Jacquelyn Frank Damien (Nightwalkers Series #4) by Jacquelyn Frank Noah (Nightwalkers, #5) by Jacquelyn Frank Adam (Nightwalkers, #6) by Jacquelyn Frank

Then there is The Sentinal Wars Series by Shannon Butcher:
Burning Alive (Sentinel Wars, #1) by Shannon K. Butcher Finding the Lost (Sentinel Wars, #2) by Shannon K. Butcher Running Scared (Sentinel Wars, #3) by Shannon K. Butcher Living Nightmare by Shannon K. Butcher Blood Hunt (Sentinel Wars, #5) by Shannon K. Butcher

I just got into the Eternal Guardians Series by Elisabeth Naughton:
Marked (Eternal Guardians, #1) by Elisabeth Naughton Entwined (Eternal Guardians, #2) by Elisabeth Naughton Tempted (Eternal Guardians, #3) by Elisabeth Naughton

Oh...a little off but there are the Carpathians....not quite a brotherhood but they all seem to know each other. But warning if you have not read them....well, never mind check them out for yourself.

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (Havily_Fray) | 13 comments I loved the Dark Hunters books. More so than BDB. But I read them first. I also just finished The League Series by the same author. (Sherillyn Kenyon) Really good series too.

message 15: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Schay wrote: "Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series is pretty good and quite similar in structure to BDB.
There are more than one POVs; usually the Breed warrior, his breedmate-to-be and the antag..."

this was my first thought as well. I saw a "if you like JR Ward's BDB you'll like Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed" just after I read BDB.

message 16: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments AlbertaJenn wrote: "The Ferral Warriors by Pamela Palmer are similar to BDB."

Very similiar in the basic premise of the series is the same as BDB series. the first book is about the leader & he meets his mate and then they go from there facing their enemy. Palmer's series is my favorit of the BDB and Midnight Breed series, but they all have enough differences to make them each good on their own.

message 17: by Katya (new)

Katya | 645 comments Missyb wrote: "AlbertaJenn wrote: "The Ferral Warriors by Pamela Palmer are similar to BDB."

Very similiar in the basic premise of the series is the same as BDB series. the first book is about th..."

Thanks for the tip Missyb...I had never heard of these and picked up the first two book and will check them out!

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan | 196 comments I like the Sentinel books by Shannon K. Butcher. They remind me of BDB.

message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin (wwwgoodreadscomgenregirl) Def Lara Adrian and Shannon K Butcher - I also like Larissa Ione's Demonica series.

message 20: by Cristina (a book away from an episode of hoarders) (last edited Jul 18, 2011 06:45AM) (new)

Cristina (a book away from an episode of hoarders) (succubus77) | 49 comments Melissa wrote: "I loved the Dark Hunters books. More so than BDB. But I read them first. I also just finished The League Series by the same author. (Sherillyn Kenyon) Really good series too."

I have to second the Dark Hunter series, its quite intimidating at first glance (there are about 20 of them). I really enjoy all of Sherrilyn Kenyon's series. I especially love The League series as well.

message 21: by Pernilla (new)

Pernilla | 1 comments I saw today at facebook that it will be antohter book in the serie Lover Reborn chek out J.R. Wards page about it. Just love the series!!!!! I´m listening at Dark Lover again :-)

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan | 196 comments Cristina wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I loved the Dark Hunters books. More so than BDB. But I read them first. I also just finished The League Series by the same author. (Sherillyn Kenyon) Really good series too."

I ha..."

I like her Dark Hunter and League series as well.

message 23: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (shareAread) | 192 comments I agree with allot of the suggestions here Lords of the underworld, Demonica, Dark Hunters, Eternal guardians, and the feral warriors are all great.
Immortals after dark are great but I think of them more of a strong woman POV not male.

One that has not been mentioned that I just discovered and LOVE is Carolyn Jewels' my immortal series, these are fantastic!

message 24: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Katya wrote: "Missyb wrote: "AlbertaJenn wrote: "The Ferral Warriors by Pamela Palmer are similar to BDB."

Very similiar in the basic premise of the series is the same as BDB series. the first b..."

Vicci wrote: "You could try The Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalter.

The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld, #2) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld, #3) by Gena Showalter [bookcover:The Darke..."

I found the series through a Lynsay Sands book that had a short story from her, and Pamela Palmer. The book is Bitten By Cupid and the short story by Palmer is Hearts Untamed.

message 25: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra  (monkeycstars) | 29 comments Def Lara Adrian Midnight Breed series is the same style as BDB...

Kiss of Midnight

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) I agree with all the suggestions here particularly Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed which I actually prefer to BDB because the heroines have their own abilities and are more involved in the overall battle against the uber-villains.
I also love Pamela Palmer's Feral Warriors.

message 27: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Lauren wrote: "I agree with all the suggestions here particularly Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed which I actually prefer to BDB because the heroines have their own abilities and are more involved in the overall bat..."

BDB, Midnight Breed, and Feral Warriors are all darker/gritty books. BDB seems to have lost the direction a touch, but hoepfully it gets back on track. I have but have not read the latest BDB book but it looks good.

message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate (kshiv) | 96 comments While the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost is mostly told from Cat's POV, the main male character Bones, is tough and pretty awesome. I can't see anyone not loving this series.
Dark Hunter's is great also.

message 29: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 343 comments Jessa ♥Dhanger♥ wrote: "Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalter

Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole

Both are great series (although Immortals After Dark is better, imo) and both remind me a little of the BDB se..."

Love both series! Also, Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series is great too! (Sorry if already mentioned)

message 30: by Kimi (new)

Kimi (KimiSoKool) | 60 comments Thank you sooooo much for all of these suggestions yall.

message 31: by icantfightfate (new)

icantfightfate | 9 comments Try: Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione Desire Unchained (Demonica, #2) by Larissa Ione Passion Unleashed (Demonica, #3) by Larissa Ione (:

message 32: by Megan (new)

Megan (TheBookHunter) | 54 comments Marjorie M. Liu is great. I cant remember if they are more from the male or female POV, both I know tho. Starts with Tiger Eye

Christine Feehans Ghostwalker series is really good too Shadow Game

I will agree that the Immortals series by Cole is good and Ione's Demonica.

Also, Jeaniene Frost Night Huntress series is great, however it is all 1st person POV of Cat (the female lead) There are 2 (maybe 3 now) related titles that are in 3rd person but they are secondary characters to the Huntress series. But I can put up with 1st person to get Bones..he's a great character.

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 10 comments Good Afternoon,

I think the Dark Carpathian's are a great read, they are similar to the BDB series, but IMO a little better. I read all 24 books in the month of July and am now trying to find another series. I have tried Lords of the underworld and am currently reading Kiss of Midnight, but they don't hold my attention as the Dark Carpathians and BDB series. Also the Blood Curse Series is a must read in this girls opinion! Still waiting patiently for the next installments of all these series.

message 34: by Katya (new)

Katya | 645 comments Similar to BDB? I almost forgot:

The Protectors by Teresa Gableman:

Damon (The Protectors, #1) by Teresa Gabelman Jared (The Protectors, #2) by Teresa Gabelman Duncan (The Protectors, #3) by Teresa Gabelman Sid (The Protectors #4) by Teresa Gabelman Adam (The Protectors, #5) by Teresa Gabelman Slade (The Protectors, #6) by Teresa Gabelman A Warrior Wedding (The Protectors, #7) by Teresa Gabelman Sloan (The Protectors) by Teresa Gabelman

A group of Vampires who police the newly emerged vampire race so that rogues don't go and erupt a war between the two. They are trained warriors called the VC Warriors who ride a shaky line between being the good guys and being hunted by humans. Lots of politics with half breeds and family strife. A really good series that only get's better as it goes. Each book is a separate couple.

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 10 comments Great, I am currently reading the Ferral Warriors right now and really like them, I am already on book 5, I will try this one next! Thank you very much!

message 36: by Gsb (new)

Gsb | 4 comments Hi came here for help as I am nearing end of BDB and fearing withdrawal...I am grateful to see all the suggestions but my problem is, what made the BDB, as well as immortals after dark, and the dark hunters, is the humor. I love the tough guys who joke about themselves and with each other. Ideas? Thanks

message 37: by Gsb (new)

Gsb | 4 comments Hi...can you help...about to go into withdrawal as I near end of BDB. I've read and loved them, immortals after dark and dark hunters...but what I loved so much was big tough guys who were funny, joke about themselves, the others in the group, the situation, etc...any ideas?

message 38: by Karen (new)

Karen Belden | 18 comments Gsb wrote: "Hi...can you help...about to go into withdrawal as I near end of BDB. I've read and loved them, immortals after dark and dark hunters...but what I loved so much was big tough guys who were funny, j..."

Look up. There's a whole bunch listed. I like Lara Adrian

message 39: by Amber (new)

Amber Wooddell | 10 comments Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series is pretty good. I have read all of those.

message 40: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (kmacdon72) | 2 comments And still today is the perfect question. All things lead back to Black Dagger Brotherhood. I like the Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian.

message 41: by Amber (new)

Amber Wooddell | 10 comments I have read a lot of the Midnight Breed Series myself. It is definitely a good series I enjoyed it but I know that there are a few that I have not read yet. another good author is Jacquelyn Frank, some of her series is The Shadowdwellers, that is the series I have read or at least most of them. The Nightwalkers, again have read most of that series as well but looking at her site there is a few new series that she has written that I have not read, but want to.

message 42: by April (new)

April | 24 comments I would recommend these 2 series, by Christine Feehan.
1. The ghost walker series by and
2. The. Dark series
And if that's not your cup of tea then try Paige Tyler.

message 43: by Gsb (last edited Jul 12, 2017 05:23AM) (new)

Gsb | 4 comments Hi...yes, thank you, I checked into all of the ones mentioned and read excerpts - humor didn't jump out at me...but perhaps I didn't look far enough.

I've bought the first in the ghost walker series by Feehan.

I've read all the Sookie Stackhouse.
I've read a lot of Midnight Breed - they are just nowhere near BDB or Dark Hunters.

I tried Jacquelyn Frank - she didn't grab me. But that was a while ago so perhaps I should try her again.

Not seen mention of Paige Tyler, will look into that.

I may have just run the gamut. thank you though.

message 44: by Gsb (new)

Gsb | 4 comments Karen wrote: "Gsb wrote: "Hi...can you help...about to go into withdrawal as I near end of BDB. I've read and loved them, immortals after dark and dark hunters...but what I loved so much was big tough guys who w..."

Hi. I did look up before posting. See message below. but thank you.

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 10 comments Have you read the Charlie Daniels books, they are really funny and the story line is amazing?

message 46: by Amber (new)

Amber Wooddell | 10 comments No, I have not read any of those.

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 10 comments They are really good and very funny, you will like the main character even though it's a female lead.

message 48: by Amber (new)

Amber Wooddell | 10 comments Female leads are always the best kind.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Pleasure Unbound (other topics)
The Darkest Lie (other topics)
Heart of Darkness (other topics)
The Darkest Secret (other topics)
The Darkest Prison (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lara Adrian (other topics)
Pamela Palmer (other topics)
More...