The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Chat > July-What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 3560 comments Mod
What are yall reading in July

message 2: by Dana (last edited Jul 31, 2011 03:26PM) (new)

Dana (erato) I have way too many on my list for July...it's a good thing that it has that extra 31st day. ;P

So far, it looks like this...

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) by J.R.R. Tolkien American Gods by Neil Gaiman Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Read:
Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1) by Allyson James Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Dark and Stormy Knights by P.N. Elrod How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian Kiss of Crimson (Midnight Breed, #2) by Lara Adrian Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2) by Brent Weeks Hit List (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #20) by Laurell K. Hamilton Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher Ghost Story (The Dresden Files, #13) by Jim Butcher Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward

message 3: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Is The Dresden files good?

message 4: by Dana (last edited Jun 28, 2011 08:22PM) (new)

Dana (erato) It is one of my top two favorite book series ever! Jim Butcher and Diana Gabaldon are talented writers in every way. My favs for sure. :)

The Dresden Files is absolutely epic in size. Ghost story will be the 13th book in the series and he has 20 novels plus a 3 novel bad-@$$, apocolyptic (his word) trilogy planned. I salivate just thinking of it!

The nice thing about these stories is that even though the series is 'epic' in size, nothing is dry and boring. I get really tired of authors who spend half of every book recapping the previous stories. If people want to know they will read those stories, ya think? Jim doesn't do that. He will give a sentence or two, here or there. Occasionally you get a full paragraph when it is needed. Other than that, his books are full-on, NEW story every time. I value that.

And he is absolutely brilliant! Other NYT authors give his work either 4 or 5 stars. He is really worth reading and he appeals to a wide audience. give him a try!

message 5: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

I thank i'm going to try that series

message 6: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 10, 2011 09:22PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) July will be starting in about 8 hours for me. So far, I am planning on reading:

The Lens and the Looker (The Verona Trilogy, #1) by Lory S. Kaufman currently reading The Bronze and the Brimstone (The Verona Trilogy #2) by Lory S. Kaufman Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James Dashner Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate currently reading Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Cloaked by Alex Flinn currently reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling The 19 Dragons by S.M. Reine finished Six Moon Summer (Seasons of the Moon, #1) by S.M. Reine Homefires by Emily Sue Harvey (?) Her Dear and Loving Husband by Meredith Allard currently reading Tower of Parlen Min by Matt Xell Sweep, Volume 1 (Book of Shadows; The Coven; Blood Witch) by Cate Tiernan Wicked Witch & Curse (Wicked, #1-2) by Nancy Holder White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black Wings (Wings, #1) by Aprilynne Pike

July's goal: 12
Books listed: 20

1/20 completed
Goal status: working on it!

message 7: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Of course, I already know that I wont finish at least half of these, but it's worth a shot!

message 8: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) The only people that fail, are the ones that never try. =) Get 'em girl!

message 9: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) I like th elook of this 19 Dragons...into the TBR it goes.

message 10: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Thanks! I am excited to start reading for all of these. This will definitely be an awesome reading month if I can get a bunch of these done! :D Just added two more because I went to the 'brary today hah

message 11: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) July is going to be great! I'll have lots of free time so I am hoping to get a tons of reading in.

I know what you mean about the library. I work at the library and it is so dangerous. It is a rare day when I don't bring something home. I have way too many moments of, "That doesn't really need to be shelved...it should come home with me!" I am WEAK! =)

message 12: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Yeah, we are going on vacay later today. My mom has a bunch of stuff planned to do, but I don't mind only surviving on three hours of sleep if it means I get some reading done. LOL!

Wow. That must be so awesome to work in a library! That and Books A Million are my dream first-jobs. Lol; it's okay. I would probably be weak as well :). You should see me when I go into Books A Million.

message 13: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

I couldn't work at the library or a book store. I work in a craft store and I spend all my paycheck there and if I worked a book store it would be worst lol

message 14: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) LOL! Well let's be happy that work in the craft store and not the bookstore. I'm afriad to think of how much you'd spend in the bookstore :)

message 15: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) Oh, GOD! Seriously? You work in a craft store? I would be broke! You must have a will of iron. I considered getting a job at my neighborhood JoAnns and knew that it would be a waste of my time. I might as well just volunteer since I would bring home the same amount of money (read: none).

That's why I had to work at the library....it's free! =]

message 16: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Yeah I work at Michaels and I do come home broke lol

message 17: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) Ahhhh Michaels! The black vortex of my yarn love. we have a Michaels like 3 blocks from my house. NOT good. =]

message 18: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Erato wrote: "I like th elook of this 19 Dragons...into the TBR it goes."

It was soo awesome! Rated it 5 stars :D Can't wait to read her novel, Six Moon Summer

message 19: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) Zakiya wrote: "Erato wrote: "I like th elook of this 19 Dragons...into the TBR it goes."

It was soo awesome! Rated it 5 stars :D Can't wait to read her novel, Six Moon Summer"

Awww, @#%@#$%^@ Zakiya! Now I have to work this into a callenge ASAP. Do not tempt me...I am weak! ;)

message 20: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) LOL! Haha I will not tempt. Promise. But it shall be hard not to :D. I'm sure you'll find a spot for it, though!

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments Erato wrote: "July is going to be great! I'll have lots of free time so I am hoping to get a tons of reading in.

I know what you mean about the library. I work at the library and it is so dangerous. It is a ra..."

I work in the library too! That is how I am able to get the books I want to read first before other patrons check them out!

message 22: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) Oh, I know! Isn't it great? Naughty, but great. :) I always feel like I am sneaking frosting off the cake early when I hijack a book I know is popular. Mwuhahaaha!

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments Erato wrote: "Oh, I know! Isn't it great? Naughty, but great. :) I always feel like I am sneaking frosting off the cake early when I hijack a book I know is popular. Mwuhahaaha!"

I currently have 11 checkouts on new YA books plus like 8-9 hold on new upcoming YA books plus a couple I still want to put holds on. I think I am obsessed! Lol

message 24: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) Obsession is so great, they named a perfume after it!

OK, so here is where I admit that my library district allows up to 50 items to be checked out at once, and up to 50 things to be on hold at one time.

Do I have 50 out? Of course not! Not even close! (Is 47 close to 50?)

But some are like gardening books and stuff.....I swear! ;D

message 25: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

yay
I have my lab top back

I'm reading Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning (finely found it)
Black Wings (Madeline Black, #1) by Christina Henry (trying it again)
A Quick Bite (Argeneau Vampire Series #1) by Lynsay Sands

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments Erato wrote: "Obsession is so great, they named a perfume after it!

OK, so here is where I admit that my library district allows up to 50 items to be checked out at once, and up to 50 things to be on hold at on..."

I think our library allows as many checkouts, but like 3 books per subject. I know we allow 20 holds at a time though.

message 27: by Dana (last edited Jul 06, 2011 08:58AM) (new)

Dana (erato) This just shows that you have much better self control than I do.

Ah, someday! :)

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments Erato wrote: "This just shows that you have much better self control than I do.

Ah, someday! :)"

Well, if I had over 50 checkouts, I will be overwhelmed to read the books.

message 29: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) LOL! I am overwhelmed most of the time...doesn't seem to stop me though. =]

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments Plus, if I had a lot more books than I have now, then it might be hard what to read next.

Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters, #1) by Kelly Keaton

message 31: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Just got 7 new books... Not adding them to my list above, though, because it's already wayy too long :).

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments Zakiya wrote: "Just got 7 new books... Not adding them to my list above, though, because it's already wayy too long :)."

I have slow down on buying books because I am really considering in buying a kindle.

message 33: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

I need to get me a kindle

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments ❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ wrote: "I need to get me a kindle"

I need to borrow my brother's kindle before I make this big purchase on a whim.

message 35: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Mom and dad might get me one for my birthday cause mom and me both would use it.

message 36: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Lizz- Cools! :)

Amy- I totally recommend them, but definitely borrow your bro's first! I am not buying anymore books for while because I'm trying to read all the ones I have first. It's like 130 of them... *sigh*

message 37: by Dana (last edited Jul 10, 2011 09:28PM) (new)

Dana (erato) My Kindle is my best friend! I love it. :) I have two series that I still buy the print books for, but everything else I get on my Kindle or at the library....and soon the library will have books for my Kindle. Yippee! Nirvana ;D

I have the second generation one and bought it like a month after it came out. It was over $300 but it only took 4 months to earn back every penny. At today's $189 price, you can practically earn back the money spent while the thing is shipping to your door. :)

message 38: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 21, 2011 09:28AM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Okay I need to straighten up my July goal.... Here are the books I'm going to try to read in July:

The Lens and the Looker (The Verona Trilogy, #1) by Lory S. Kaufman currently reading The Bronze and the Brimstone (The Verona Trilogy #2) by Lory S. Kaufman Wings (Wings, #1) by Aprilynne Pike White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate currently reading Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver finished Cloaked by Alex Flinn currently reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling The 19 Dragons by S.M. Reine finished Six Moon Summer (Seasons of the Moon, #1) by S.M. Reine Her Dear and Loving Husband (Loving Husband, #1) by Meredith Allard finished Tower of Parlen Min by Matt Xell currently reading Sweep, Volume 1 (Book of Shadows; The Coven; Blood Witch) by Cate Tiernan The Devil's Arithmetic (Puffin Modern Classics) by Jane Yolen finished L.A. Candy (L.A. Candy, #1) by Lauren Conrad Heartless (Pretty Little Liars, #7) by Sara Shepard Hereafter (Hereafter, #1) by Tara Hudson Night World, No. 2 Dark Angel; The Chosen; Soulmate (Night World, #4-6) by L.J. Smith finished

July's goal: 12
Books listed: 18

5/18 completed
Goal status: working on it!

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments Zakiya wrote: "Lizz- Cools! :)

Amy- I totally recommend them, but definitely borrow your bro's first! I am not buying anymore books for while because I'm trying to read all the ones I have first. It's like 130 o..."

Wow, I have some I have gotten for the kindle app on my computer, but have not read them yet.

message 40: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 11, 2011 05:43PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Oh okay thats neat! :)

BTW- I didn't mean there are 130 of them on my kindle that I haven't read lol. Thats including physical books, audios, and others. :) There's only like 50-something on my kindle that i havent read.

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments Zakiya wrote: "Oh okay thats neat! :)

BTW- I didn't mean there are 130 of them on my kindle that I haven't read lol. Thats including physical books, audios, and others. :) There's only like 50-something on my ..."

Wow

Tiger's Quest (The Tiger Saga, #2) by Colleen Houck

message 42: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Yeah hah :)

message 43: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Ok i'm reading Queen of Shadows by Dianne Sylvan and The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2) by Jaye Wells

message 44: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) Did you read the first Sabina Kane? How was it?

message 45: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

I really liked the first one and i'm really liking this one too

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments I'm reading this now:
Hereafter (Hereafter, #1) by Tara Hudson

message 47: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Is it good so far Amy?

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments ❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ wrote: "Is it good so far Amy?"

Hard to tell at the moment, but Joshua's grandmother is such a b**** I want to punch her many times until she is black and blue.

message 49: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Amy ~Book Lover~ wrote: "❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ wrote: "Is it good so far Amy?"

Hard to tell at the moment, but Joshua's grandmother is such a b**** I want to punch her many times until she is black and blue."

lol

message 50: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) LOL! :)

« previous 1