Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Book of the Month (BOM) > (July '11) The Forest of Hands and Teeth **SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (last edited Jun 28, 2011 11:38AM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
This month the BOM will be THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH. Book 1 in the FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH series. Some discussion questions to consider.

1. What do you like about this specific paranormal theme? Was is portrayed well by this author?
2. What was different about the characters? World? Setting? That made the story unique.
3. If this is book 1 are you planning on continuing the series?
4. If this is your first time reading this author. What did you like or dislike about their writing style.
5. How does this book compare to other PNR books you have read recently, with a similar theme?

Can you think of more questions? If so, please ask the question and post the answer to help continue the discussion :)

message 2: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

I like zombies :) the title of this book caught my eye and there is a bit of horror and romance mixed in. This was set in a world where the zombie invasion had happened and they were now living within these fenced in villages. This was the debut novel of this author and I liked it very much. I will continue the series.

message 3: by Chrissy315 (new)

Chrissy315 Jones | 4 comments I liked this book. I am not really into Zombies but I thought Ms. Ryan did a great job. I have actually read the second book already and will continue the series.

message 4: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

I like what zombies repsent. They are not just monsters but the degeneration of the society we once knew. Once I heard that I saw zombies in a different way and loved every version. From nuclear accidents, an alien virus, or just a mutation.

I would like to continue this serie as well. This author tells a great story.

message 5: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 77 comments I really liked this book. Normally I'm not a big zombie fan, but there was a real story to go along with zombies. I feel like the overall story with the religious zealots controlling every little thing has been done several times in different ways. But the writing style and the characters made this one unique and refreshing. I loved how Mary wasn't ignorant of the Sisterhood and what was going on around her. So many times heroines have to have every little detail spelled out before they understand the big picture, but that wasn't the case here. I'll continue this series, I want to know what happens to Mary, she's lost so much I'd like something good to happen to her.

message 6: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Yes,i was all ready for The Dead-Tossed Waves when it was to debut :) I even added it as a want to read several months ago. I think perhaps in a few months we can read it as a group!

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (fireweaver) well, i'm gonna be the lone hater, then.

i was all kinds of intrigued by the set-up for this novel. it has obvious strong parallels to m.night shyamalan's "the village"...only here, the danger is real and immediate instead of shadowy suggestions. the atmosphere in here is great, too: the background noise of zombie moans all day every day, and the constant presence of the dead at the fenceline is amazingly creepy. some mysteriously all-powerful church organization runs everything, from marriages to commerce, and it's hinted that the sisters are key to the village's defense.

and instead of exploring any of those great ideas, we get a big ol' stephanie meyer (chaste) love triangle, sigh. there was certainly enough going on in this book to not need the "torn between two men!!" plot for the dramatic tension. the biggest issue with it, for me, was that i just couldn't see any difference in the two boys. other than one blond and one brunette, they were just a couple of guys with nothing to make me root for one or the other. hmmm, maybe that's why mary was so wishy washy about them?

message 8: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

I think the 'downfall' of alot of great stories in YA is they over simplify the plot with romance. I saw there could be more to but I always had to go back, yes, for YA its pretty damn decent. I would have expected the elements you mentioned in an adult suspense novel, yes =)

Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dead-Tossed Waves (other topics)