Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Mini Group Read (MGR) > (July '11) Bitten ***SPOILERS***

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (last edited Jun 28, 2011 01:12PM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
This month the MGR will be Bitten. Book 1 in the Women of the otherworld series. Some discussion questions to consider.

1. What do you like about this specific paranormal theme? Was is portrayed well by this author?
2. What was different about the characters? World? Setting? That made the story unique.
3. If this is book 1 are you planning on continuing the series?
4. If this is your first time reading this author. What did you like or dislike about their writing style.
5. How does this book compare to other PNR books you have read recently, with a similar theme?
6.Does realism play a part in reading a paranormal book? If the character is a fictional being does it help if the history seems accurate. All myths have a birth in fact.
7.In the end what was the best part?

Can you think of more questions? If so, please ask the question and post the answer to help continue the discussion :)

message 2: by Lady Allison (new)

Lady Allison | 150 comments Oh, I loved this book! It's been a while but I think I can answer most of the questions.

Book 1, Bitten, was the first book in Armstrong's Otherworld & I thought it was incredibly well done. I really liked her werewolf mythos & the characters, as well as each one's plight, was believable & made me feel closer to them. The author obviously did her homework, because the psychology in this book was really interesting - she didn't just present us with a bad guy, she explained why he is a bad guy. This book was my first time reading & I loved her writing so I've continued the series. I stalled out at the 7th one, but definitely intend to continue on!

message 3: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (last edited Jun 28, 2011 01:12PM) (new)

Oh I actually liked tha you mentioned 'research'. I will add this question.

Does realism play a part in reading a paranormal book? If the character is a fictional being does it help if the history seems accurate. All myths have a birth in fact.
In the end what was the best part?

message 4: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 77 comments Ooh, I'm excited to read this one, it's been on my TBR for months, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) I liked how Elena basically said F you...you might be my "mate" but i'm not falling for that shit - and tried to live her life...that to me made the whole story line so much more believable

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (fireweaver) read this book years ago. the 1st edition hardback's cover is one of my all-time favorites!

Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong

those twisting limbs, the 'flaming june' dress, and the hint of a tail peeking out...

Dee, i'm right there with you - her attempts to live her own life are what made this book so unique. there's plenty of books that are about a girl falling in love with some supernatural creature, this one is about the girl trying to learn to live with herself even more so than him. her heartbroken whisper, "you bit me," sticks in my mind long after the book was done.

message 7: by Leticia (last edited Jul 22, 2011 11:33PM) (new)

Leticia Vega (dajoyofit) | 2 comments OMG! I just finished it and I loved it. I've seen this book at the bookstore so many times, but I never picked it up, and I never would have if it wasn't for this group. Thank you. I thought it would take me weeks to read; it took me only two days. I couldn't put it down. It was so good.

I made one attempt to read a book where the main characters were Werewolves and I never finished it. So I was a bit reluctant, but open to read this book, because of this group. And I loved it. I enjoyed how real her world was, which I think was largely because her werewolves were falliable and mortal. It added a level of realism to her world that would have otherwise been lost. I also enjoyed how she wrote the story in a sort of snapshot style. And of course, the unforgetable and delicatable, Clay. He was definitely the prize, the cherry on top of the sundae, the ultimate reward. :D

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (atira) | 2 comments 1. I absolutely love werewolves that keep their minds when they change, and Kelley fits in everything else that is perfect <3
2. I like that you can really remember who everyone is; sometimes characters are just forgettable. I really love that she managed to keep it all believable. I find myself wanting to take a detour every time I drive past Syracuse...
3. I've read Elena's books several times over but recently I picked up the others along the way and am trying to read the whole thing in order. Initially I didn't know the series was this large!
4. This was the first book I read by Kelley Armstrong and I have to say that she has never disappointed. Her books focusing on other characters don't grab me as much but I think thats just because I'm a sucker for her wolves <3
5. The only paranormal books I've been reading recently have been KA's and Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series. I can't really choose a favorite; they're different but both wildly entertaining.
6. I like how Kelley Armstrong tries to tie in current events and how we could easily overlook things that aren't what they seem.
7. ALL OF IT!! Although maybe just Clayton's voice...

message 9: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (last edited Aug 28, 2011 10:23AM) (new)

@Leticia- Glad you loved it =) that's what I love about group reads and group challenges. It exposes us to new genres, authors and more! I have moved now so I hope I can catch up on the books I have missed.

@Stephanie- Wow! I am so glad this series debut was so great. I have always heard such great things about this series. I will be glad to read it, too.

message 10: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 77 comments Well, I'm a little behind, but I did finally get to this one. I really liked it, I thought Armstrong did a great job with the world and the werewolves. I wasn't completely sold on Elena and Clay's relationship though. She wouldn't forgive him for like 10 years and then she suddenly realizes she can't live without him. I think I would have liked a little more explanation about him biting her and their history or something else to sell me on Clay. He is very hot, but I still think he's a little crazy. I'll definitely continue the series though, I love Kelley Armstrong's writing.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 7 comments I liked the book, i love how elena loves/hate clay, im happy the ended up together after so many years apart. I also think more information about her past with clay would have boon good.

Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bitten (other topics)