Love With The Lights Off discussion

Book/Author Chats > POV in Romance Novels

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth Sorensen | 10 comments Romance novels in first-person or third-person. Which do you prefer to read and/or write?

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) If it is well written, I don't care. I have written in both genres.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I actually like the 1st person better,I feel more like a part of the character & the story itself I find it easier to get into.

message 4: by Jasja (new)

Jasja | 10 comments I actually don't like the 1st person POV. I do really like some writers who use that POV but it really took some serious getting over that enough to actually be able to read the books. I don't think it's ever going to be my preferred POV.

message 5: by Jaimey, The Other Queen (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 129 comments Mod
I prefer to write 3rd person and that's mostly what I prefer to read as well. However, Gothic-style romances are ones I definitely prefer in 1st person. Adds to the suspense, I think.

Great question, Beth! :O)

message 6: by Linda, The Queen (new)

Linda Boulanger (linda_boulanger) | 35 comments Mod
I think I prefer 3rd person as well for reading and writing. As Anne said, however, if it is well written, I'll read either.

message 7: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 1 comments I like the omniscience of third person...being able to see into everyone's minds and not just what the main character is speculating that they are thinking. I can also agree with Sandi though. Reading in first person allows you to really slip into the character and be a part of them and their interactions with other characters in the story. To sum up I guess I really don't care because I'll read just about anything at least once. :D

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 15 comments I don't really think 1st person works well for romance. I think 3rd person is ideal with both POVs. I grew up reading Harlequin books where we only got the heroine's POV, and it was hard to figure out what was going on with the hero until the 'reveal.' I much prefer seeing what the hero thinks too. Actually I like when the book is heavily from the hero's POV throughout.

message 9: by Linda, The Queen (new)

Linda Boulanger (linda_boulanger) | 35 comments Mod
I'm trying something new in a story I'm working on. Of course, it is a story that I'm not sure will ever be read by eyes other than my own so I'm not sure it matters... but, I have begun with the prologue being 1st person. Then, it switches to 3rd person. I am considering placing a few 1st person vignettes in there. I know it will pull the reader out of the story but that is actually what the intent would be. Like I said, I'm not sure it will work (and if it ends up being for my eyes only then it won't matter). I've not actually read anything like that though I am sure they are around.

message 10: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 26 comments I don't like to read first person. I like 3rd person and that's what I write. I write in the present tense as well.

message 11: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) 3rd person POV

message 12: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Henderson (peggyhenderson) | 10 comments I'm not a big fan of first person. I like to read and write in third person, and give equal time to be in each (main) character's head.