Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > What were you doing before it was cool? (masturbation and U2)

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I was into thrift stores and vintage clothes before it got all trendy in my area. What were you doing before it was cool? And do you still do it?

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Eating scabs. Wait, that still isn't cool yet, is it? Nevermind.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Roller skating.

message 4: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments I was a punk before you were a punk.

message 5: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Clark wrote: "I was a punk before you were a punk."

You were a punk before I was born.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Amber wrote: "Clark wrote: "I was a punk before you were a punk."

You were a punk before I was born."

You just made me snort.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm surprised no one has said "masturbation" yet.

Hm. Listening to U2, I think, way back in the early 80s. I've never been all that cool.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yikes. I didn't think of it in that way, Barb. I do not like connecting masturbation and U2, either.

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments At least you're not asking me to think of U2 during self-gratification.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) When was U2 cool? I must have missed it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) (love you RA)

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments U2 was cool up until and through the Joshua Tree.

This was despite some very unfortunate haircuts.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Wow. That is a hair disaster!

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Shit. That was all I had, stacia! :) Love you too.

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments I knew Buffy the Vampire Slayer would be cool long before the first episode aired.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Watching Doctor Who. That is all I've got. I am trying to maintain a constant lack of cool. It would ruin my nerdy image.

message 17: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Me? I'm so uncool that as soon as I begin to really like a product, they discontinue it.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24107 comments Mod
Me too, Janice. I would have to post in the thread "what did you adopt 5-10 years after everyone else?"

message 19: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Lobstergirl wrote: "Me too, Janice. I would have to post in the thread "what did you adopt 5-10 years after everyone else?""

Right! And think you've discovered it. I understand.

message 20: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Actually I'm fully aware how behind I am. In some cases I purposely am a late adopter. Trying to squeeze those last few years out of a videocassette player, e.g.

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I started snowboarding in 1992. A LONG time before the flying tomato was even fucking born.

message 22: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I was listening to Florence + the Machine wayyyyyy before Glee covered "Dog Days Are Over." In fact, I played that song for a friend in his room, and he didn't like it. Glee covered it, and then like, two days later, I hear, "Brittany! OMG! You have to hear Florence + Machine! 'Dog Days Are Over' is so good!" And then every friggin female acapella group started butchering it.

message 23: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I first listened to Florence + The Machine in 2008 I think. If that's possible.

message 24: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Jun 29, 2011 05:01AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Amber wrote: "Clark wrote: "I was a punk before you were a punk."

Amber, you've truly hurt me, mostly because it's true.

message 25: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Stacia ~ hold me closer, necromancer wrote: "When was U2 cool? I must have missed it."

The first three albums were solid but fell just this side of "cool."

message 26: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Amber wrote: "Clark wrote: "I was a punk before you were a punk."

You just made me snort."

Laugh it up, funny girl.

message 27: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Britomart wrote: "I was listening to Florence + the Machine wayyyyyy before Glee covered "Dog Days Are Over." In fact, I played that song for a friend in his room, and he didn't like it. Glee covered it, and then li..."

They're playing here next week with the Black Keys. I might go. Probably not.

message 28: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "They're playing here next week with the Black Keys. I might go. Probably not."

Go!

message 29: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments When I was six I read a book my older sister brought home about vampires. It had woodcut prints of Vlad the Impaler and all sorts of details about how to test if someone is a vampire, how to kill a vampire, etc. I became obsessed with vampires. But I grew out of it.

I never thought they were romantic or heroic in any way. They were monsters that could blend in. I don't understand all this gothic vampire stuff today.

message 30: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I was addicted to online forums through CompuServe before Internet and the World Wide Web became a household thing. I warned you that I was ancient.

message 31: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Wait. Florence + the Machine AND the Black Keys, on the same bill?

RA, you better fucking go. For my sake, at least.

message 32: by Lori (new)

Lori I was going to U2 venues before it was cool.

message 33: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I watched Dr Who in the early eighties.

message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sally wrote: "I watched Dr Who in the early eighties."

I did too!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

You beat me Bun, I think I watched it in the 70's. But as I was the first to mention Dr Who in this thread I'm taking some coolness from that. :)

message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

My family and I were eating peanuts before it was cool.

Angela~twistedmind~ (twistedmind) | 540 comments Hmmm. I was reading horror before it was cool. Everyone else was reading romance. *stops to puke*.
I was wearing all black waaaaay before the punks, goths and emos were even around.

message 38: by Lori (last edited Jun 30, 2011 02:00PM) (new)

Lori I wanted to be cool but I'm very uncool. Now I don't care. Thank god.

Oh! I remember I wrote the lyrics to Suzanne in my junior high yearbook to a boyfriend, and none of my peers had heard it yet. The James Taylor. At the time I had no idea that Leonard Cohen wrote it. It was only later that I realized he had written most of my favorite songs.

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael BunWat wrote: "I watched Dr Who in the late 60's."

Do you like Patrick Troughton?

message 40: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments BunWat wrote: "That definitely counts on the coolness front Gail! On Dr Who afternoon i used to run home from school and make a stack of peanut butter saltine crackers and sit down to crunch and watch.'"

I wish I had the experience of Who in the 60's and 70's. So many of the original episodes are gone now, they can never really be seen again.

message 41: by Cyril (new)

Cyril I've never been cool and am becoming less so every day. Right now I'm wearing shorts and black socks.

message 42: by Emily (new)

Emily (azara3) | 18 comments I watched the first couple of iCarly episodes out of loyalty to the little girl who beat up Drake Bell on an everyday basis, but quickly got sick of it.

message 43: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) I was being uncool - before it became cool to be so

message 44: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments hip to be square dave?

message 45: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Emily wrote: "I watched the first couple of iCarly episodes out of loyalty to the little girl who beat up Drake Bell on an everyday basis, but quickly got sick of it."

Sister, I feel your pain.