Terminalcoffee discussion

Politics / Business / Economics > Not A Chance Presidential Candidates 2012 thread

Comments (showing 1-50 of 315) (315 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments This was mostly an excuse to talk about Michele Bachmann. Gaffs o' the week:
1)She celebrated her birthplace in Waterloo, Iowa, claiming that John Wayne was born there too, and she embodied his ideals. Unfortunately, John Wayne was actually born 150 miles away; John Wayne Gacy, the serial killer, was the one born in Waterloo.

2)The Founding Fathers fought to end slavery, and John Quincy Adams was one of them. No, and no.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 28, 2011 01:39PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That Cain guy is off my list. He's bonkers. And Newt. Newt's campaign is sad. He should just quit. It's like some weird tragedy.

I have to say the whole "finding Palin and Bachmann's history errors" sport is getting tiresome. It's not like Obama hasn't made any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9hZpJ...

Youtube is filled with these. And if Palin or Bachmann said the US had 57 states, hell, my facebook would light up with news on it for weeks.

Just focusing on Bachmann...I don't think she's dumb. I'm pretty sure she has a law degree. If people aren't going to vote for her based on her record, views, etc., that I can understand, but I'm curious why, with Palin and Bachmann in particular, there seems to be this mad rush to portray them as idiots.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments Sorry, RA. I'm a sucker for the historical gaffs, whomever they come from.

Bachmann has a law degree, but her law school is not taken very seriously.
Here's a good article about her -- it says to take her seriously, by the way.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/...

I'd also like to rule out Rick Santorum. I really, really, really dislike the guy.

message 4: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (GusSanchez) The only difference between Bachmann and Palin is that Michelle is far more polished as a public speaker. But her startling refusal to acknowledge facts is tiresome. She'll say whatever shit comes to mind just to get attention. And most of the time she's factually incorrect. She may not be an "idiot" by the definition of the term, but she can't help but sound like she doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about.

Oddly enough, I like Jon Huntsman. From what I've read about him, he seems to break the mold of what the GOP finds acceptable. Plus he refuses to play the mudslinging game.

He doesn't stand a chance, though. The GOP will slam him for being the US Ambassador to China under the Obama Administration. Assholes.

message 5: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments I have to say the whole "finding Palin and Bachmann's history errors" sport is getting tiresome. It's not like Obama hasn't made any.

I agree... Obama's made his share of mistakes. However, when called out on something like the 57 states, he doesn't stomp his feet and insist that he was right.

message 6: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (GusSanchez) Bachmann's not stupid, just crazy:

The 32 Craziest Things GOP Presidential Candidate Michelle Bachmann Has Said

When she equates AmeriCorp to a Soviet-era re-education camp and implies that Obama is anti-American, then you can see why people think she's crazy.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Kristina wrote: "I have to say the whole "finding Palin and Bachmann's history errors" sport is getting tiresome. It's not like Obama hasn't made any.

I agree... Obama's made his share of mistakes. However, whe..."

Yeah, this is a good point, Kristina. Palin seems to go the "See! Everyone is picking on me!" route in these scenarios. That hasn't worked well for her. Obama's smart not to respond much, if at all.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't know who Jon Huntsman is. I'll look him up, Gustavo. Thanks for the tip.

Oh, I wanted to say something about Romney. Is he avoiding television cameras or something? He's never on tv.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael I truly don't think Bachmann is either stupid or crazy. And I also don't think she has any real thoughts of getting the nomination, or of becoming president. Bachmann has always been a fund-raising powerhouse and I think this is a well-calculated plan to raise even more money and come back here and run for - and win - the senate seat that's up in '12. I believe she spent something like $10 million to win her Congressional seat and I'd expect her to spend 10 times that to win the senate seat.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Jun 28, 2011 05:08PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 22553 comments Mod
I suspect Bachmann is running for Vice President.

I don't have a problem with the press exposing gaffes here and there, as long as gaffe-exposing isn't the centerpiece of political coverage. News orgs need to examine the candidates' platforms and policies, but good luck finding news orgs that consistently do a good job of that. Reporting on gaffes is a lot easier. If you want to dislike a candidate, find something substantive to dislike.

I don't particularly care that Bachmann confused John Wayne with John Wayne Gacy. Here's something I do care about:

Michele Bachmann’s radical position on minimum wage

By Greg Sargent

This morning, Michele Bachmann confirmed on Good Morning America that she could support abolishing the Federal minimum wage. That’s an actual substantive position that offers a window into Bachmann’s ideology and worldview. But judging by the media chatter today, her John Wayne flub is still being widely viewed as far more newsworthy.

So I wanted to try to determine just how radical — and important and revealing — her position really is. It turns out that almost no GOP presidential candidates in history have held this position — not even Barry Goldwater, it seems. Ronald Reagan did support repeal early during the 1980 campaign, but even he subsequently downplayed and shifted his position.

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments News orgs need to examine the candidates' platforms and policies, but good luck finding news orgs that consistently do a good job of that. Reporting on gaffes is a lot easier. If you want to dislike a candidate, find something substantive to dislike.

I agree with this. Of course, it's not my call, but I think not voting for Bachmann because of the minimum wage thing makes a lot more sense than not voting for her because she misspoke about history during a campaign speech. I'm sure if you're speaking in public pretty much every day you're going to fuck up sometimes. But the substance is more important, no doubt.

Michael's post about fundraising, etc., reminded me of a question that's been running through my mind. About a dozen people seem to be running, seriously (I guess) for the Republican nomination. Some of them don't have much of a chance to win. So why do they run? Isn't running a losing proposition? What do they get out of running when the chances of winning are so small?

message 12: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I think we need to distinguish between gaffes and just plain ignorance. Perhaps we can all agree Obama is an extremely bright guy. Constitutional law professor at U of C, etc. When he says 57 states, do we really think he's being an idiot? I very much doubt it. When he says his uncle freed Auschwitz, when actually it was Buchenwald, does that make him a moron? People tend to tell family stories so many times that they change, and we get confused sometimes in the retelling. I wouldn't give a rat's ass if Palin or Bachmann or Ronald Reagan or Dan Quayle told a story about their uncle and said Auschwitz when they should have said Buchenwald.

I think with Palin it's safe to assume that most of her misstatements arise from profound ignorance - of history, policy, geography, whatever.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 28, 2011 05:29PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think a fair question emerges about pattern vs. isolated incidents. I wonder if that's been studied in a political context.

Why do I use italics in that first sentence? I'm not entirely sure, thank you very much.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

About a dozen people seem to be running, seriously (I guess) for the Republican nomination. Some of them don't have much of a chance to win. So why do they run? Isn't running a losing proposition? What do they get out of running when the chances of winning are so small?

Some reasons:
-they're running for Veep
-pure ego (I'd put Gingrich here)
-they want higher office; they know they can't win the Presidency, but the publicity and exposure will make them better known and help them in future campaigns, whether for Senate, Governor, a future presidential campaign
-corollary of the above, increased visibility on any political stage will help them in whatever future career path they have, like being a CEO, being appointed an ambassador, running the Olympics, being a fellow at a think tank, whatever; i.e., running for president looks great on a resume
-insanity (Lyndon LaRouche)
-they want their ideas out there, getting wider visibility (Ron Paul)

Failed presidential candidates can join a speaker's bureau and make tons of money making speeches.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I saw Obama speak in the Hall of Presidents in Disney Magic Kingdom today.

message 16: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Oooh, I'm kind of jealous. Was it magical?

Apparently he is making lots of trips to Florida because Florida is seen as winnable in 2012. Rick Scott, the Republican Gov, is becoming terribly unpopular.

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) He was very animatronic, actually. A little stiff.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Oh, I get it. Disappointing.

Did he make any gaffes?

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Not a one.

message 20: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11400 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "I don't know who Jon Huntsman is. I'll look him up, Gustavo. Thanks for the tip."

As governor of Utah, Mr. Huntsman tried valiantly to reform our liquor laws in an effort to boost tourism (and to promote sane policy).

Before his changes, you could get a drink here only if you were a member of the club (bar) you went into. Go to another club? You have to become a member before they can serve you.

There was also a regulation against someone mixing a drink & passing it across the bar to the customer. Someone from the wait staff would have to go retrieve the drink, then serve it to the customer -- even if the customer was less than two feet away!

Since he left, our legislature has backslid a bit. They enacted a rule that says new restaurants can not have the bartender visible from the dining room.

These are some sick motherfuckers here in Utah politics.

message 21: by Louise (last edited Sep 13, 2011 02:33AM) (new)

Louise oh wow
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/s...

I can't believe she's for real! (Sarah Palin)

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments

message 23: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11400 comments Love it!!

message 24: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6859 comments My understanding is that Bachmann has never sponsored successful legislation. The one bill she's authored in the U.S. Congress involved giving us Americans the freedom to buy an old-fashioned lightbulb. Apparently we are going to be able to buy them with or without her help.

message 25: by Barb (new)

Barb Ha! Gives Jesus the creeps.

message 26: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6859 comments I can understand why she might not like to see Marcus Bachmann in the altogether.

message 27: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11400 comments His boyfriend might object.

message 28: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6859 comments I don't even want to think about it, Phil.

message 29: by Cyril (new)

Cyril | 493 comments I've been impressed by how short Michelle Bachmann is.

message 30: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Okay.

message 31: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Bachmann says food industry is overregulated

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busines...

message 32: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11400 comments Meanwhile, listeria kills five and injures many more because of bad cantaloupe.

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) *pukes*

message 34: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11400 comments Larry wrote: "*pukes*"

I blame Bachmann, not the cantaloupe.

message 35: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11400 comments

message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Santorum asks Google to clean up search results for his name

For the uninitiated, if you Google Santorum's name, the first result you'll probably get is not his personal website but a fake definition of "santorum," a sexual byproduct that's a bit too graphic to talk about in detail here. (Of course, you can Google him and easily find out.)

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-09-21/te...

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments Google laughs in his face. Can you imagine the can of worms they would open if they started tampering with search results (beyond putting paid results first, of course)?

message 38: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11400 comments You can see Rick Perry in a whole different light by doing some bad lipreading

message 39: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Save a pretzel for the gas jets!

message 40: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Cain is now leading in the polls among GOP voters. Heh.

message 41: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Oct 12, 2011 09:31PM) (new)

Buddy Roemer is a GOP presidential candidate who can't get into any of the debates. He made a Youtube ad in which he told the protesters: "Please know that I stand by you."

Roemer, who has compared the protests to the Civil Rights marches of the 1960’s, was asked why the protests have resonated with him so much.

“I’m 68,” Roemer began. “I lived through the Civil Rights Movement in the Deep South, where I was a proud native son in Louisiana. I went to college, and lived through the Vietnam protests. I know the power of young people, and the lesson that I learned is that when people get involved, you oughtta listen.

“And that’s all I’m asking my Republican colleagues to do: Go to Occupy Wall Street, and listen to them. Some of them are off in left field, some of them are misguided. But all of them are concerned about an America that they worry about their future in. Listen, Republicans.”

“Listen to Occupy Wall Street,” he also added. “You know what they’re saying? No one went to jail on Wall Street, after billions were fleeced; trillions were taken from the taxpayers; documents of mortgages were proven to be illegal; the rating agencies were paid off by the Wall Street banks; they got bailed out; they eliminated Glass-Steagall.

“Other than that, everything is copacetic.”

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10...

Sim City 4 apparently had a 9-9-9 plan in place already.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments LG, that guy sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.
I'm fascinated by the Republican selection process this time around. They don't seem to be going for most-electable at all. Anyone who says anything as logical as the quote above would clearly not be right for the current conservative climate.

message 44: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Eventually they will figure out that Romney is the only electable one, and they will nominate him. All of them love Cain right now but he won't be able to withstand scrutiny, either on 9-9-9 or the fact that he knows zero-zip-nada about foreign policy. There's a clip of him doing an interview where he is asked about foreign policy and he says he doesn't know the name of the president of "Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan" but not to worry, because when he is president, he will be sure he knows those things.

Okay then!

Sorry, but that level of ignorance will not survive even the GOP primary voters.

message 45: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

An explanation of what the 9-9-9 plan really is. It ain't pretty.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/e...

Cain's economic adviser Rich Lowrie called it “Washington thinking” to worry about who would pay how much under the new system, and he “repeatedly refused to say how much more of the tax burden would be borne by the poor and middle class.”

(Other economists have calculated that, though.)

And as Bruce Bartlett (a Republican) explained on msnbc, are people going to want to pay a new 9% sales tax on a house purchase? A $100,000 hospital stay? A car?

message 46: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Wonkette found a picture of Perry from the olden days...

message 47: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6859 comments Wow. He looks like a brownshirt in that photo.

message 48: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6859 comments Not sure where this should go, but I appreciate these words from Bill Clinton:

"I have had the most unusual life," he said. "I was born after World War II in the second-poorest state in the country, and in a family that never had a college graduate ... I never believed I was born in a log cabin I built myself. Nobody climbs a ladder alone ... and we are never going to bring this country back by saying they do it alone."

message 49: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Words to heed indeed.

message 50: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

First Cain says he wants an electrified border fence, then on Meet the Press he insists it was a joke. Now he's saying it wasn't a joke, he was serious.

I'm really sick of this buffoon. I can't believe anyone is taking him seriously.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

unread topics | mark unread