The Sword and Laser discussion

Do readers dream of turning pages?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David (Lawki) | 51 comments Lately, I've been having dreams about books I've been reading (or books I think I've been reading) and a lot of the time I have to step back when continuing a book to sort what I've read from what I dreamt I read. The funny thing is I don't dream about turning the pages but rather a manifestation of how I picture whatever I'm reading (mine happens to resemble an ink cloud with images or the smoke monster from Lost, I guess).

I'm curious: Do you dream about reading and do you ever confuse plots you made up with the actual story? Also, as a bonus to my ramble, what does reading look like to you?

message 2: by Nick (last edited Jun 28, 2011 10:55AM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Your post is like a Phillip Dick novel while reading which I got lost.

If I understand you correctly then you are having trouble keeping separate what you've dreamed versus what you've read.

I can't say I have this issue but I have had the problem of when I'm really tired and reading I fall asleep. When I fall asleep I start finishing the last sentence I just read and proceed from there into a dream that works in the details of the story I've been reading. So I feel you pain but when I continued reading when I woke up I realized that Arya didn't kill Joffrey and that I dreamed that part. I'm only on Clash of Kings so no spoilers please.

message 3: by David (new)

David (Lawki) | 51 comments Nick wrote: "If I understand you correctly then you are having trouble keeping separate what you've dreamed versus what you've read.
I'm only on Clash of Kings so no spoilers please. "

Yep, that's it. I usually realise when something conflicts and I realised I've been pointed at some parallel universe. After a quick re-shuffling I'm sorted for the most part...

I'm on the same book. You're probably ahead of me so don't worry about that!

message 4: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments I often have dreams that take place in the universe of whatever it is I'm reading at the time but I don't ever recall getting my dreams mixed up with a novels storyline though. I've had my dreams get mixed up with real life though, either that or my friends and family have really bad memories.

Most of my dreams are ultra real and if I dream about a fictional universe from a novel it can effect my opinion of it. I had a dream that I was a drafter while reading The Black Prism and having that dream definitely made me enjoy the rest of the book more; it would be nice if that happened with every book, or maybe it does and I just don't remember.

message 5: by Leavey (new)

Leavey | 83 comments I'm not sure about the dreaming thing, because I very, very rarely remember dreams.
But what happpens to me alot is, when I'm realy invested in a book or a series, after I'm finished, my subconscious keeps fiddling with plotpoints I wasn't completely happy with, until it's satisfied.
So when I go back a few month later to reread the book, I sometimes feel like somebody snuck in and changed parts of it. Because I could swear the last time I read it, things went down a little differntly. It's actualy a good arangement, that way I get to read a book severel times and still be surprised.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 11 comments I've dreamed in the form of a movie before because I remember seeing the credits roll. I often thought I should write and make a novel out of it. I figure it's only a matter of time before I turn the pages in a dream.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbetts) You're all crazy!

message 8: by Leavey (new)

Leavey | 83 comments Sodon wrote: "You're all crazy!"

crazy and proud! mwahahaha!

message 9: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments One time I dreamed I was talking to Howard Stern, but I could never get a word in edgewise; he was talking so much. Then I woke up, and he was on the radio.

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments I dream of electric sheep.

Sorry couldn't help myself. Any activity that forces my concentration for a sustained period of time impinges on my dreams. Games, TV, study, work and books.

message 11: by Curt (new)

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments Actually, I don' have this issue. The closest I come to this is this. After over a 18 months of reading on a Kindle, I continue to reach up and try to turn the page at least a couple of times a day. Have actually found reading on my Android more convenient with the Kindle touchscreen app. Reminds me of phantom pain syndrome that some amputees develop in missing limbs. I just keep reaching up to turn these phantom pages on my Kindle.

message 12: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 648 comments I don't think my dreams have ever involved what I've been reading, and very rarely actually involve reading at all.

message 13: by aldenoneil (last edited Jun 30, 2011 07:17PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Curt wrote: "I continue to reach up and try to turn the page at least a couple of times a day."

If a piece of dust or lint is on the screen, I'll often think, "Don't worry about it. It'll be gone when you flip the page."

message 14: by Tamahome (last edited Jun 30, 2011 09:31PM) (new)