Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Extreme Couponing

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittomart (last edited Jun 28, 2011 09:20AM) (new)

Brittomart Has anyone ever watched this show? I LOVE IT! OMG! People use coupons, they go to the grocery store, buy hundreds of dollars worth of groceries, and they end up spending like, $2 for it. Sometimes the store ends up owing the couponer money.

Do you use coupons? I wanted to try Extreme Couponing this summer, but it's a lot of work. I visit couponing blogs, and right now, I know I can go get some Veet from Rite Aid, and with coupons I'll end up making one Rite Aid Dollar. That's kinda cool, but I'm lazy.

Link: http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/extre...

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments From what I can tell, those people have to have an enormous capacity for storage, and willingness to buy a lot of things they may not need, and willingness to let a whole lot of food go to waste.

I mean, sure you can get $400 worth of yogurt cups for $19 if you play your cards right, but unless you're buying for a crowd or taking most of those to a food pantry (which probably can't take them, since they tend not to take perishables) there is no way you're going to use them all before they go bad.

And I don't have room for twenty five ValUPaks of paper towels, and I don't have any need for a lifetime supply of Manwich.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments In other words, I think the same people are destined to be on the Hoarders show before too long.

message 4: by Brittomart (last edited Jun 28, 2011 10:06AM) (new)

Brittomart One couple had a room filled with toilet paper. That's ridiculous.

The blogs I visit focus on couponing for stuff that you actually need, and if you find a good deal, then have fun, but leave something for the other people. Don't be greedy.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Britomart wrote: "The blogs I visit focus on couponing for stuff that you actually need, and if you find a good deal, then have fun, but leave some..."

That sounds more sensible. Savvy couponing.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yesterday's local newspaper had a big article on this. I can't rationalize the time. Some of these extreme couponers spend days collecting the coupons, researching the deals, etc. And like Pi, my basement is messy enough without four cases of toothpaste.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary (merrussell) I actually tried the Grocery Game website-you plug in where you shop and there are lists that you can print out at stores you visit. It was $10 a month. When I was religious about it, I was saving upwards of 50% off my grocery bill and I only bought stuff I would use.
It works but you have to commit to it and stick with it.
I didn't. Too lazy, I guess!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) There was only one person on the show who actually gave a lot of the stuff to charity and I thought that was great. I didn't understand the guy who ended up with 250 sticks of deodorant or something and didn't donate any of them. Will you really use that much before you die?

The show is interesting though.

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments My mom and dad are retired and Mom is getting into this extreme couponing. It's cool, because they are taking the free or almost free stuff to animal shelters and food banks. They are really getting into it.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Leslie wrote: "My mom and dad are retired and Mom is getting into this extreme couponing. It's cool, because they are taking the free or almost free stuff to animal shelters and food banks. They are really gett..."

That's awesome, Leslie!

message 11: by Phil (last edited Jul 23, 2011 05:17PM) (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Leslie wrote: "My mom and dad are retired and Mom is getting into this extreme couponing. It's cool, because they are taking the free or almost free stuff to animal shelters and food banks. They are really gett..."

Meanwhile, in Somalia...

**edited to add that I'm not trying to insult Leslie's parents. I just want to point out how lucky we are to have such surplus, when millions can't find a clean drink of water.

message 12: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) My cousin in KC is one of these. She has three boys, so I understand stocking up on some things, but REALLY how many bottles of mustard does one household need. Her 16 yr old told me, "I have enough Axe products to last a lifetime. I don't even like Axe."
I like to change up my shampoos, lotion, toothpaste, etc. One lady bought 25 lipsticks... again REALLY! I like the people that donate products that other people would actually use.

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I know Phil--it's true. I am proud of my mom and dad for doing what they're doing though.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24262 comments Mod
I'm annoyed that I bought chocolate, which was on sale, but I didn't know there was an additional $1 off coupon. I could have saved AN EXTRA DOLLAR!!

Also yesterday at the grocery my fancy soda rang up as $2.39 and the shelf tag had said it was on sale for $1.79 and I was too lazy to go to customer service about it.

message 15: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I'm way too lazy. I rarely even go to the store. I shop online from work and have it delivered to Mr. Amy during the day. He works from home. It saves me hours during he week, and hassle.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.