Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Let's Talk About: Book News > Are E-Readers "phasing" out bookstores

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Jun 30, 2011 12:04PM) (new)

Jessica | 12 comments I'm wondering how many of you have some type of e-reader? I have a kindle and I love it. But I'm sad b/c I was wanting to open a bookstore but I'm fearful that the e-readers are going to phase the bookstore's out. What do you think?

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Opening my own little bookstore was something that I'd always wanted to do too. I have a nook, and go through phases where I'm neglecting my paperback books, but I always get back to them. I'm hoping that e-readers won't phase out bookstores, but who knows? Sometimes, I think that ereaders are popular, but not more so than traditional books, so there's nothing to worry about; and there'll always be someone like me who loves a good used bookstore. But then I think, "when is the last time I bought an actual CD since getting and iPod?" Not to mention all of the Borders that have closed recently.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 12 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Opening my own little bookstore was something that I'd always wanted to do too. I have a nook, and go through phases where I'm neglecting my paperback books, but I always get back to them. I'm ho..."

All valid points. Things I'm thinking about. I wont be able to open a store for a while so I guess I'll have to wait and see but for me when I walk into a bookstore (new or used) I feel at home and at peace! I wanted to promote local artist's and local authors as well and maybe at some point bring in a coffee house feel. Only time will tell I guess

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Jessica wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Opening my own little bookstore was something that I'd always wanted to do too. I have a nook, and go through phases where I'm neglecting my paperback books, but I always get ba..."

I'm really hoping that it's just because e-readers are the "it" thing right now, and that there'll always be enough of us that will appreiciate the look, and feel of a good old fashioned "dead tree" book. I love bookstores too, and just the thought of a bookstore closing in my immediate area makes me ill. Of course I recover when I take advantage of that going out of business sale, LOL!

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments Jessica- I hate to think of all the bookstores going out of business. I actually own a kindle and do not frequent the bookstore anymore. While I love the feel of a book in my hands, I think the convinence of the ereaders win out. I still use the library for books all the time, but my issue is that the bookstore is not anywhere near me. I have to drive 25 mins to the nearest bookstore that would have books I actually want to read. I think that the bookstores will have a better chance of surviving in the big cities versus nowhere SC.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 12 comments Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ wrote: "Jessica- I hate to think of all the bookstores going out of business. I actually own a kindle and do not frequent the bookstore anymore. While I love the feel of a book in my hands, I think the con..."

ha ha I live in nowhere TN population maybe 3k. I have a kindle too and I cant tell you the last time I read an actual book. Just wanted to get some thoughts and opinions on the subject. Thanks for reading and interacting with me. :)

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments In the case of Ipod vs CD, Ipod definitely wins. It is a lot easier and you don't have to worry about scratching it and the Ipod becoming unplayable. 500 "real" CDs compared to 500 CDS on an Ipod. Easy decision.

I guess the same case can kind of be made for books, but I prefer a real book over my ereader still. I haven't touched my Kindle in months. There is just something with a real book I cannot get with my Kindle. Maybe it is the action of turning the page, or the smell, or that glorious sound a hardback makes when you open it for the first time. All I know is that I love my real books and like my Kindle. Although, I must say the Kindle is good for free books!

message 8: by Lina (new)

Lina Saw this thread and thought I'd add my two cents worth: I think in this day and age, consumers are looking for value and convenience and eBooks & eReaders certainly deliver in this. It would be ideal if there were a book-store that catered for eReaders (I understand that your B&N stores in the U.S. do, but we have nothing like it here in Australia), where I could still go in, browse for books and check out the back of the jackets. I've lost count of the number of bookstores I frequent (usually to buy a gift for someone's birthday) where I go for the ambience, and walk away with a list of books I want to buy for myself as an ebook when I get home. If they had the facility there at the bookstore, I could buy it straight-away and still support that store... and possibly stay and have a coffee if they had that option... :-)
ahhh, in a perfect world....

message 9: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Sorry but you spell phasing our this way not fasing.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 12 comments Nancy thanks for pointing that out. Takes the pressure off now that I know I'm not perfect and I make mistakes even spelling mistakes.

message 11: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I also make mistakes especially when I'm typing. But somehow this word looked wrong the way it was spelled.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 12 comments Nancy wrote: "I also make mistakes especially when I'm typing. But somehow this word looked wrong the way it was spelled."

Oh well thanks. I fixed it. :) Now i dont look dumb.

message 13: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I think the bookstores may get phased out, but I think books will stay around in stores like Target and Wal-Mart who can sell them cheaper. Just out of curiosity, would anyone mind if Hardbacks were phased out?

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Reeves (barefootdokusha) | 0 comments I prefer t5o have my books in hardback. I usually buy my books from the library, or just check out library books. If it was something that I liked a lot then I am willing to buy the hardback version....wherever the cheapest I can find it. I also like having ebooks because I can sometimes find them cheaper than a paper book, and if I like it enough I will buy the book. Then there are some books that I will buy no matter if I liked it or not....Stephen King, Dean Koontz, and John Saul to name a few. I am limited to Hasting and Books a Million. I prefer Hastings as I can find them cheaper, and if I do buy a book I am not interested in keeping I can take it to see if I can get store credit for something else. It's also my favorite place to buy my DVDs. I'll spend $5-10 on DVDs and come out with 3-7 dvds. I refuse to pay more than $3 for a DVD. :) I won't pay $10 for a book either. That's why I'm a big fan of the library. Now if I had money to spend, I could keep a book store in business! :) No job right now, so no spending.

message 15: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Anyone hear about Borders going completely out of business? The whole enchilada? They tried to sell what remained and couldn't find a buyer. Could this be caused by the increase in eBook sales? Perhaps the Kindle is the best option to buy for eReaders. What happens if B&N goes under?

message 16: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I don't think B&N will go under because they were innovative enough to jump on the eBook and eReader bandwagon unlike Boarders. Nooks, Nookbooks, and self publishing are all hot right now and I don't think they are going away anytime soon. I did hear about Boarders closing down via Goodreads earlier today. It's sad but not surprising. There is so much competition in the book world today: eBooks, swapping, used books, Amazon. It's kind of like survival of the fittest, as dramatic as that may sound.