Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Orwell-Yay or Nay?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments We missed George Orwell's birthday this weekend:

June 25 - George Orwell (1903 - 1950)

Yay or Nay?

Honestly, I'm not a fan. Too dour and obvious for me. And Animal Farm is boring.

message 2: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments It's been so long since I've read Animal Farm, I don't even remember it. But, if it wasn't good enough to be remembered, I guess that says something.

So I'm somewhere between a yay and a nay. I'll go with "meh."

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) What I read of him in school (1984 & Animal Farm) I don't really remember. I'll have to join Amber with "Meh".

message 4: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Orwell is one of those authors that you don't necessarily "love." You respect him for his nuanced, powerful language, and his skilled use of metaphor. Both 1984 and Animal Farm are masterpieces.

Still, it helps to know a bit about Orwell - real name Eric Blair - to understand his writing and the motivation behind his anti-fascist stance.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Janice wrote: "What I read of him in school (1984 & Animal Farm) I don't really remember. I'll have to join Amber with "Meh"."

Same here.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've never read Orwell.

::Hangs head in shame::

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I was going to say yay, but then realised I was confused with H. G. Wells. That could have been acutely embarrassing. I haven't read any Orwell either. I do have 1984 on my TBR but other things seem to keep jumping in front of it.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24105 comments Mod
Animal Farm didn't do anything for me. 1984 I really enjoyed but I'd have to read it again to give it a more mature evaluation. I recently read Keep the Aspidistra Flying and wasn't impressed at all.

message 9: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 49 comments I'll join the "meh" crowd. 1984 and Animal Farm did nothing for me, so I've not read anything else he wrote.

message 10: by Aynge (last edited Jun 29, 2011 08:25AM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I read 1984 and Animal Farm, and I can't remember much about either. And I don't have any desire to reread them.

I do, however, vividly remember Flowers for Algernon which I'd read around the same time. I remember sobbing my eyes out. I did go back and read it a couple of years ago, and was shocked at all the sex in it. I guess they gave us the clean version in junior high.

message 11: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Yay for me! I loved 1984, Animal Farm made quite an impression on me in high school. I’ve been meaning to reread both.

Aynge- I too recently reread Flowers for Algernon, I enjoyed it in high school. I reread the copy I had from high school and was also shocked at all the sex & more adult nuances I didn’t really ‘get’ in high school. So weird how differently I felt about the book 20+ years later!

message 12: by Misha (last edited Jul 04, 2011 11:56PM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I first read 1984 when I was in sixth grade, having found a dog-eared, frayed hardcover on the family bookshelf. I didn't fully understand it, but I knew it was something special and amazing. When I read it again in high school I understood it better, and loved it even more.

I've never read Animal Farm, but Down and Out in Paris and London gave me a different perspective on poverty than I'd ever had when I read it either late in high school or early in college.

So I give Orwell a resounding "Yay!"

message 13: by Annette (new)

Annette Hart | 171 comments I say "Yay". I've only read 1984 but studied it thoroughly for 'A' level. It is bleak but that's the point of it - a warning of a possible future. It helps to be aware of the historical context - what Orwell lived through and the scary world politics of post WWII.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.