Chicks On Lit discussion

cool beans

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (last edited Sep 19, 2008 01:04PM) (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
A month or so ago I subscribed our group to a few publishing companies and reading guide groups to help keep our group current and aware of any great new information in the book world and see how we may benefit from offers they often have. One such group does a monthly interview with reading groups from all over, to be considered they ask that you fill out a q&a block. I can do most of the bio type answers but there are a few that I would love to put your responses into so it truly is a group effort.

8. What were some of the best discussions or favorite books the group read?

9. How do you keep things fun?

10. What advice would you give to other reading groups?

11. Do you have any horror stories, amusing anecdotes, or other special tales to tell?

12. Is there anything else unique or noteworthy about your group that you would like to share?

If any of you want to take a crack at one or all of these questions I would love that. Don't write 3 pages worth just so I can get everyones response in but I think it would be fun to share about ourselves and possibly have our group featured.

oh and the site is www.readingGroupGuides.com but respond here and Ill compose it all into the single email to be considered for a group spotlight/interview
Thanks
T~

message 2: by Meg (last edited Sep 20, 2008 04:04AM) (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments What were some of the best discussions or favorite books the group read?

I would say our best discussion was around the Knitting Circle. I was amazed out how many of us had common bonds. How honest we all were. How willing we were to open up and detail our heartfelt journeys. It was an amazing group and the threads were very emotional for us all. It lead to a bonding that we weren't aware was possible. Of course having the author willing to bond with us as well made it very special.

message 3: by Holli (new)

Holli 8. I have to agree with Meg about The Knitting Circle discussion. That book really drew all of us out and gave us an outlet to discuss a variety of things that had happened to us. I think its what pulled us together as a group and got us feeling as if we are more than just "online" friends to each other....

9. I would say we keep things fun but just asking the questions we have on our mind at that moment. Whatever it is...we can post it on COL and we can discuss and dissect and start a multitude of discussions that way!! What makes our group fun for me is that no one is ever scared to throw their thought out there...which makes for honest talks and a deeper camaraderie.

10. Be involved...speak your mind.....be mature about your discussions and debates and have fun!

12. I think our group is unique because we are all unique. We each bring something special to our group and without all of us it wouldn't work the way it does. Its a very warm and welcoming environment and that helps alot!!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Tera, hope you don't mind but I've only answered 2 of the Q's!!!

8. What were some of the best discussions or favorite books the group read?

I think The Knitting Circle had the most dynamic discussions so far and as a result, those of us involved in those discussions have formed a very unexpected yet comforting bond. I never would've imagined all that we honestly talked about as a result of this book when I first nominated it! I've never been a part of something like that before!

9. How do you keep things fun?

By being honest, open-minded & having a sense of humor! Differences of opinion are great for lively discussions as long as it doesn't get catty! Also by not reading the same type of books each month so we have something new to talk about.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments 9. I think with lots of interesting personalities, and with everyone having the freedom to speak their mind, it just goes with the territory. I think the fact that we are all women helps alot in helping (me at least) feel that we can talk about anything.

10. I think the choice of moderator makes a big difference, too. I'm still new to this group, but I think that Tera you are a good impartial referee, and you're a big part of the reason we have the openness and acceptance and fresh ideas here. So I would say pick a good leader.

That's my two cents. Hope it helps.

message 6: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I just got this reply back:

Tera-

Thank you very much for sending me your responses to our interview questions for book clubs. And thank you for including input from a few of your members --- this is really interesting and I am sure other readers will enjoy reading this. We will feature your interview in the November update of ReadingGroupGuides.com.

Thanks to those who responded and I will link the November edition when it comes out.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments After reading all of these posts, I cannot wait to take part in my first book discussion with all of you ladies! :)

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Neato, Tera!

message 9: by Holli (new)

Holli That IS cool beans!!!

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Totally!

message 11: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments yeah, I always wanted to be part of the reading groups guide. Well done Tera!!!!