Cozy Mysteries discussion

Find a book or series > Looking for a good 'paranormal' cozy mystery

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary (its-all-good) | 23 comments Hi there,

I am looking for a good 'paranormal' cozy mystery (or mystery series).

Such as:
- Madelyn Alt 'Bewitching Mystery' series
- Shirley Damsgaard 'Ophelia and Abby' mysteries
- Juliet Blackwell 'Witchcraft Mystery' series
- Marie Dees 'Tea and Witchery'
- Wendy Roberts 'Ghost Dusters' series
- Victoria Laurie 'Psychic Eye Mystery' series
- Victoria Laurie 'Ghost Hunter' mysteries
- Casey Daniels 'Pepper Martin' mysteries
- Terri Garey 'Nicki Styx' series
- Charlaine Harris 'Harper Connelly' series

Thanks!
~Mary~

message 2: by Melodie (last edited Jun 28, 2011 07:40AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Am assuming you've read all the ones you list. I don't care for the Harper Connelly books, but love the Sookie Stackhouse books. Heather Webber's Lucy Valentine books are a bit on the "woo woo" side. Juliet Blackwell also has a series dealing with haunted houses. There is only one so far and it was a good read.

message 3: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments I love most all of the series you've mentioned and have read most of them. If you're into the way paranormal things, Carole Nelson Douglas (of Midnight Louie fame) also has a series about Delilah Street, a paranormal investigator in future day Las Vegas (vampires, werewolves, etc. have come out of the closet). I enjoy those as well and I love Heather Webber's Lucy Valentine books. There is also the Sue Ann Jaffarian series about Granny Apples (a ghost who helps solve mysteries) and Sharon Pape's series about a female sketch artist who lives with the ghost of a murdered marshall. There's also the haunted bookshop series by Alice Kimberly (another name for Cleo Coyle couple of the Coffeehouse mysteries). If I think of more, I'll let you know.

message 4: by Mary (last edited Jun 28, 2011 09:10AM) (new)

Mary (its-all-good) | 23 comments @ Melodie! Yes, I read the ones I listed above.
Thanks for the recommendation of the Lucy Valentine books. :-)

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary (its-all-good) | 23 comments @ Caroline - Thank you so much! They're already on my wishlist =)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Haunting Jordan by P. J. Aldermann is my new favorite paranormal cozy. Mary Stanton has a new series out - check out Angel's verdict; although this series has been hit and miss with the group. I'll second Melodie's suggestion of Juliet Blackwell's series about the haunted house. The Aunt Dimity Series by Nancy Atherton is good if you haven't read that one already. Curiosity Thrilled the Cat is the first of a new series aaannddd....the new series by E. J. Copperman An Uninvited Ghost.

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Mary wrote: "@ Melodie! Yes, I read the ones I listed above.
Thanks for the recommendation of the Lucy Valentine books. :-)"

I second the Lucy Valentine books. I was going to mention them :)

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary (its-all-good) | 23 comments @ Jennifer: I am reading 'Haunted Jordan' right now and love it! 'Curiosity Thrilled the Cat' and 'An Uninvited Ghost' are now on my wishlist - Thanks! =)

@ Heidi: The Lucy Valentine books looked too much like chick-lit for my taste... that's why I avoided them so far. But now.. I will give them a try ;-)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) The Lucy Valentines do look chick lit at first glance, but really it's a great series!

message 10: by Mary C (last edited Jun 29, 2011 07:01PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 110 comments A Veiled Deception-Annette Blair

A Timely Vision-Jim and Joyce Levene

Casting Spells-Barbara Bretton (I don't know if these are necessariy "cozy" but they're really good)
The Ghost and Miss Demure-Melanie Jackson
The Ghost and Mrs. McClure-Alice Kimberly

message 11: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin C (caitkom) | 199 comments Mary, I am a huge fan of paranormal mysteries as well. Terri Reid has a pretty good series, I have only seen it on Kindle: Loose Ends.

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim (catmommie) I've only read Yasmine Galenorn.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary (its-all-good) | 23 comments @Mary - I will definitely check out your recommendations - Thanks! I've alread read the Barbara Bretton series and I really love it!

@Caitlin - 'Loose Ends' sounds really great! Thanks!

@Kim - The Chintz'n China series?

message 14: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Other things to consider: Melissa Bourbon is going to be starting a "Magical dressmaking mystery" series (first one coming out in August). And I'm enjoying (well, I enjoyed the first book) the series about "magical cats" by Sofie Kelly (first one was Curiosity Thrilled the Cat) and seconed one is coming out in Sep "Sleight of Paw." The Rebecca M. Hale books are a little too strange for me. I don't understand half of that stuff that goes on in them. Also, Kari Lee Townsend will have the first book in a new series in August "Tempest in the Tea Leaves" (fortune teller mysteries series). Sounds interesting to me.

message 15: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Oh yeah! I love Joyce and Jim Lavene's Missing Pieces mysteries. They've got two out in the series already. The protag is mayor of Duck NC, owns a shop and gets psychic impressions from things she touches. They are great reads, imho. : ) (Of course, I'm happy to consider Joyce and Jim friends of mine so I would always recommend their books) LOL

message 16: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Mary wrote: "@Mary - I will definitely check out your recommendations - Thanks! I've alread read the Barbara Bretton series and I really love it!

@Caitlin - 'Loose Ends' sounds really great! Thanks!

@Kim - Th..."

I would think Kim was referring to the Chintz 'n China series since I wouldn't consider Galenorn's other series anywhere close to cozy mysteries, though some of them are great reads! They're more like UF.

message 17: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Jennifer E. wrote: "Haunting Jordan by P. J. Aldermann is my new favorite paranormal cozy. Mary Stanton has a new series out - check out Angel's verdict; although this series has been hit and miss with..."

I second Haunting Jordan and Uninvited Ghost :) Loved both. I also really liked Trouble in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law, #1) by Jana Deleon .

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary (its-all-good) | 23 comments Thanks everybody! My wishist is growing and growing ;-)

message 19: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 323 comments Wendy Roberts has a Ghost Dusters mystery series that is good. Jim and Joyce Lavene also wrote The Telltale Turtle, which doesn't seem to have a sequel. :(

message 20: by Liz (new)

Liz | 42 comments The "Stella the Stargazer" series by Christine T. Jorgensen is pretty good.

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 40 comments You might like my Shannon Dealney cozy paranormal mystery series. 3 books so far and book 4 will be out later this year.

As a traditonal author I do not sell books, I do have a few retail book links on my website, my books are available in paperback and over a dozen e-book formats at all the large retailers. You can read free exceprts of entire chapters on my web site www.ElizabethEaganCox.net

The series is paranormal because of having ghosts as real characters (not novelities) in the stories. And the books reflect my own involvement in the paranormal as 'the ghost hunters librarian' I work behind the scenes with ghost investigators and I have a reference nonfiction book coming out this October for them: Ghost Hunters Research Guide to Free Internet Sources.

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan | 95 comments I'm glad that I visited this thread because there are so many series listed here that I haven't tried yet. I do like a little paranormal with the mystery sometimes. I enjoyed the Harper series by Charlaine Harris and the new Vampire chef one.

message 23: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Sounds interesting, Elizabeth! I'll have to looke for these books. Thanks!

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 40 comments Hi Caroline;

You can read for free, no strings attached, the entire chapter 1 for each of my Shannon Delaney novels on my web site. And although they are numbered, it really is not required to start with book 1. I advise reading them in whatever order that catches your interest. Book 4: "A Ghost at Stallion's Gate" is almost finished, it will be out a little later this year. www.ElizabethEaganCox.net

message 25: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3883 comments Mod
Hi Elizabeth,

Glad to know there will be another book soon.

message 26: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (tribalcat) | 307 comments Some are listed above, but I read the following paranormal series:

Annette Blair - Vintage Magic series
Candace Havens - Bronwen the Witch series
Juliet Blackwell - A Witchcraft Mystery series
Juliet Blackwell - Haunted Home Renovation series
Madelyn Alt - A Bewitching Mystery series
Shirley Damsgaard - Ophelia & Abby series
Yasmine Galenorn - Chintz 'n China Mystery series
Dolores Stewart Riccio - Circle of Five (Cass Shipton) series

Thanks for all of the suggestions, it looks like I need to add a few more to my TBR list!

message 27: by Mary (last edited Jul 18, 2013 05:24AM) (new)

Mary (its-all-good) | 23 comments THANKS for all the recommendations!

- Adams, Ellery - Charmed Pie Shoppe mysteries
- Alderman, P.J. - Port Chatham series
- Allbritten, Esri - Chihuahua of the Baskervilles
- Alt, Madelyn - Bewitching Mystery series
- Atherton, Nancy - Aunt Dimity series
- Bartlett, L.L. - Jeff Resnick Mysteries
- Blackwell, Juliet - Witchcraft Mystery series
- Blackwell, Juliet - Haunted Home Renovation mysteries
- Blair, Annette - Vintage Magic Mystery series
- Blake, Heather - Wishcraft Mystery series
- Bourbon, Melissa - Magical Dressmaking mysteries
- Boyer, Susan M. - Liz Talbot mysteries
- Bretton, Barbara - Sugar Maple series
- Cates, Bailey - Bewitched Bakery mysteries
- Charles, Ann - Deadwood Mystery series
- Copperman, E.J. - Haunted Guesthouse series
- Damsgaard, Shirley - Ophelia and Abby mysteries
- Daniels, Casey - Pepper Martin mysteries
- David, Evelyn - Brianna Sullivan mysteries
- Dees, Marie - Tea and Witchery, Love is Blond
- Deleon, Jana - Ghost-in-Law series
- Eagan-Cox, Elizabeth - Shannon Delaney mysteries
- Edghill, Rosemary - The Bast mysteries
- Evanovich, Janet - Lizzie & Diesel series
- Jaffarian, Sua Ann - Ghost of Granny Apples series
- Jackson, Melanie - The Ghost and Miss Demure
- Jorgensen, Christine T. - Stella the Stargazer mysteries
- Galenorn, Yasmine - Chintz 'n China mystery series
- Garey, Terri - Nicki Styx series
- Gilman, Dorothy - The Clairvoyant Countess
- Harris, Charlaine - Harper Connelly series
- Harris, Charlaine - Sookie Stackhouse series
- Hart, Carolyn - Bailey Ruth series
- Havens, Candace - Bronwyn the Witch
- Kelly, Sofie - Magical Cats mysteries
- Kimberly, Alice - Haunted Bookshop Mysteries
- Laurie, Victoria - Ghost Hunter mysteries
- Laurie, Victoria - Psychic Eye mysteries
- Lavene, Jim and Joyce - Missing Pieces Mysteries
- Lavene, Jim and Jocee - Telltale Turtle: A Pet Psychic Mystery
- Lawrence, Martha C. - Elizabeth Chase mysteries
- Locke, M. Louisa - Victorian San Francisco Mysteries
- March, Lucy - A Little Night Magic
- Nelson Douglas, Carole - Delilah Street Paranormal Investigator
- Pape, Sharon - Portrait of Crime Mysteries
- Rapp, Diane - Murder on a Ghost Ship
- Reid, Terri - Mary O'Reilly series
- Resnick, Laura - Ester Diamond series
- Roberts, Wendy - Ghost Dusters series
- Sellars, M.R. - Rowant Gant Investigations
- Solheim, Beth - Sadie Witt Mysteries
- Stanton, Mary - Beaufort & Company mysteries
- Stewart Riccio, Dolores - Cass Shipton series
- Street, Bella - Apocalypse Babes
- Townsend, Kari Lee - Fortune Teller mysteries
- Webber, Heather - Lucy Valentine series
- Zettel, Sarah - Vampire chef series

... to be continued ...

Happy Reading! =)

message 28: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Mary wrote: "THANKS for all the recommendations!
Here's a list of all your recommendations:

- Alderman, P.J. - Port Chatham series
- Alt, Madelyn - Bewitching Mystery series
- Atherton, Nancy - Aunt Dimity se..."

What?? No Sookie Stackhouse??? LOL

message 29: by Mary (new)

Mary (its-all-good) | 23 comments @Melodie - Yes, I forgot Sookie in the list. But of course we've all read the Sookie books already, right? I was looking for books that I might have missed out there - and you cannot miss Sookie. ;-)

message 30: by Clare (new)

Clare Havens (clare_havens) | 11 comments What about Bella Street's 'Apocalypse Babes' series? I am only half way through the six book series and I can't wait to find out which guy Seffy is going to end up with!!

message 31: by Mary (new)

Mary (its-all-good) | 23 comments @ Clare - Sounds very intersting. Thanks for the recommendation!

message 32: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 22 comments I see the list includes Mary Stanton's Beaufort & Co. mysteries, which I also like a lot. Clever concept about a lawyer who represents lost souls in celestial court. Nice atmosphere evoked (Savannah, Ga.), too.

message 33: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelleymunro) I'm glad I came across this thread. The combination of mystery and paranormal is irresistable to me. I'll definitely be checking these series out.

message 34: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Esposito (soespo) | 16 comments Great list!There's some on here I haven't read yet. Here's a few more:

Beth Solheim: Sadie Witt Mystery Series

L. L. Bartlett: Jeff Resnick Mystery Series

Carole Nelson Douglas: Delilah Street Mystery Series

And if you like animals with your paranormal cozy, I have a new one out:

Karma's A Bitch

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 40 comments FYI, I have a GR contest for a pre-release 'galley' copy of book 4 in my Shannon Delaney paranormal mystery series: A GHOST AT STALLION'S GATE. The contest is listed under current Giveaways here on GR. You can read a free chapter excerpt (entire Chap 1) of the book on my site:
http://www.elizabetheagancox.net/id3....

message 36: by Kait (new)

Kait Carson | 181 comments You've already gotten some great suggestions, but I don't see Ann Charles on the list. Her Deadwood series is lots of fun and really well plotted.

message 37: by Ariel (last edited Nov 22, 2011 08:16AM) (new)

Ariel (sevenmoonlight) | 138 comments I am glad you already have the Dolores Stewart Riccio's Cass Shipton mysteries and the Vampire Chef. Here is a brand new series It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #1) by Heather Blake It Takes a Witch: A Witchcraft Mystery by Heather Blake. You don't have the A Portrait of Crime series by Sharon Pape listed yet. It features the ghost of a US Marshal from the old west helping to solve mysteries.

message 38: by Mary (new)

Mary (its-all-good) | 23 comments @Karen - Thanks for your recommendation!
But is Jennifer Rardin's Jaz Park series really a series that you can recommend for "cozy mystery" lovers?
Maybe I'm wrong... haven't read this one yet. But the cover says 'TOUGH URBAN FANTASY CHICK' ;-)
Let me know...

message 39: by Mary (new)

Mary (its-all-good) | 23 comments Thanks, Karen!

Karen wrote: "It is a thriller and they do have some mysteries in them."

message 40: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Mary wrote: "@Karen - Thanks for your recommendation!
But is Jennifer Rardin's Jaz Park series really a series that you can recommend for "cozy mystery" lovers?
Maybe I'm wrong... haven't read this one yet. B..."

Not, Karen, but these are not cozy at all. I read the first 3 in the series a couple of years ago. Liked the first one quite a bit, but felt each book successively decined after that, so quit reading them. Ms. Rardin committed suicide shortly before the 8th & last book in the series was released this year.

message 41: by Mary (last edited Nov 26, 2011 02:38AM) (new)

Mary (its-all-good) | 23 comments @Melodie: Yeah, I had the feeling the book is not a really cozy one ;-)
I also like Urban Fantasy a lot - but in this post I wanted more recommendations for paranormal COZY reads (they're not that easy to find).

message 42: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Esposito (soespo) | 16 comments Ooo, I just added the Chihuahua of the Baskervilles to my TBR list, thanks!

message 43: by Mary (new)

Mary (its-all-good) | 23 comments Shannon wrote: "Ooo, I just added the Chihuahua of the Baskervilles to my TBR list, thanks!"

Thanks Shannon - sounds funny!

message 44: by Kouk (new)

Kouk | 49 comments I think this is one too:
Brownies and Broomsticks

Unfortunately there is no other info. yet, because the book comes out in May 2012.

message 45: by Mary (new)

Mary (its-all-good) | 23 comments Kouk wrote: "I think this is one too:
Brownies and Broomsticks
Unfortunately there is no other info. yet, because the book comes out in May 2012."

Well, 'bewitched bakery mystery' sounds like fun ;-)

message 46: by M. (new)

M. Locke (mlouisalocke) Hi,

I have a new historical mystery out that is definitely a cozy and but it is set in 1879 San Francisco and features my protagonist trying to expose the actions of a local trance medium as a fraud. There is definitely a paranormal aspect of the plot. The title, Uneasy Spirits and it is the sequel to Maids of Misfortune. I think some of you would enjoy it you like the blending of cozy and paranormal.

M. Louisa LockeUneasy Spirits

message 47: by Mary (new)

Mary (its-all-good) | 23 comments M. wrote: "Hi,
I have a new historical mystery out that is definitely a cozy and but it is set in 1879 San Francisco and features my protagonist trying to expose the actions of a local trance medium as a fra..."

Thanks M.! =)

message 48: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 40 comments I know an Irish Wolfhound when I see one..great pic! For over 20 years I shared my life with IWs.

M. wrote: "Hi,

I have a new historical mystery out that is definitely a cozy and but it is set in 1879 San Francisco and features my protagonist trying to expose the actions of a local trance medium as a fra..."

message 49: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyjcohen) | 53 comments I'm reading Defending Angels by Mary Stanton. This first book in her Beaufort & Company series features a lawyer sleuth who has two mysteries to solve: the murder case, and the reason why strange things are happening around her. As in, how could a dead man hire her to find his killer?

message 50: by Emma (new)

Emma | 109 comments Nancy wrote: "I'm reading Defending Angels by Mary Stanton. This first book in her Beaufort & Company series features a lawyer sleuth who has two mysteries to solve: the murder case, and the reason why strange t..."

I recently purchased this from Amazon and it should be here soon. I would love to know what you think of it when you finish. I am very excited!

« previous 1