We LoveFilm discussion

General Discussion about Films > Movies that made you cry

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Jun 28, 2011 05:21AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore I'm wondering if I'm just a big baby when it comes to movies! I saw Atonement, the movie based on the novel by Ian McEwan, and I couldn't help but to cry at the end. Then I started thinking, "it's not the first time a movie made you cry." My list goes on, and on- from My Dog Skip to Gladiator. Please tell me that I'm not the only one!

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments No I get emotional too, Michelle. I have a few movies that make me cry. I always cry when I watch the movies Beaches with Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey. You would think I would stop crying after all these years when I watch it. Lol.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Samantha wrote: "No I get emotional too, Michelle. I have a few movies that make me cry. I always cry when I watch the movies Beaches with Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey. You would think I would stop crying after..."

Oh my goodness! Beaches is another one that makes me cry. I forgot all about that one.

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Yes. I love that movie. It's so sad.

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina Ok...funny story. While I was in grad school I had a best friend who was really into movies like I was and she and I made sure to see at least one movie a week. Usually a Saturday matinee. She is a major crier. I mean, Jello pudding commercials makes her cry. But I am not a crier at all. Not at all.

One time after seeing Beaches she was so overcome with emotion that she sat down outside the movie theater and just sobbed while I continued to pat her back and say 'there,there.' She was crying and hiccuping with outrage that I didn't at least sniffle.

So it became her mission in life to get me to a movie that would make me cry. She made me watch Ghost, Brian's Song, Philadelphia so many others... but still nothing. of course she lost like 10 pounds in salt water alone.

And then we were hanging out baking cupcakes at my house one day and Imitation of Life came on tv just on whatever random channel I had it on. We got sucked up in the story and started watching it. Well the part when Mahalia Jackson starts singing at the funeral....I was done. I started sniffling and tears started leaking. Well, my firend was so delighted that for once she didn't cry. To this day, that movie make me sooo sad.

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments That's funny, Tina! Normally after I watch a sad movie that left me emotional and I watch it again, I can get over it. For some reason, when I watch Beaches. I'm just a wreck. Straight up sobbing as if it was the first time. Weird reaction but it's true.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Tina! Thanks for sharing that, it made my day. Reading about your friend tearing up over a jello pudding commercial, makes me feel better about crying during a Rice Crispies (sp?) commercial, LOL! You know, I've never seen Imitation of Life, and I think I need to add that to my list.

message 8: by Davina, The Modster (last edited Jun 30, 2011 03:59PM) (new)

Davina D. | 693 comments Mod
I tend to choke up a lot more than I cry, but if its a really emotional scene/movie I'll cry. I cry at commercials too, all the time.

I saw The Blind Side and True Grit over the weekend and it made me cry. I've been wanting to see Buitiful with Javier Bardem for while now, but I just know its gonna rip my heart out so I've been avoiding it.

Haven't seen Beaches because I'm not Bette Midler's biggest fan, and I haven't seen Imitation of Life. I'll keep both films in mind for when I'm in the mood for a tear jerker.

message 9: by Davina, The Modster (new)

I also cried when they killed off two of my favourite characters in Game of Thrones.

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Davina, where ya been??? I'm not a Bette Midler fan either but Beaches just made me so sad. It's that little girl that did to me and the song. It's all too much. LOL.

I still haven't watched Game of Thrones.

message 11: by Davina, The Modster (new)

It's been a trying week at work. Too many meetings and professional arguments with stubborn, cocksure bastards, some out of state travelling. Madness.

Don't you have HBO? If you do, I don't know why you don't tune in. I'm kinda pissed off at certain events that took place in the show, but otherwise its great TV. Now that the season is over, I can't believe they expect us to wait a whole year for bloody season 2. This is why I hate TV. Arghhhh...

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Yes, I have HBO but I just never watched it. I'll get to it. I got a whole year as you tell it. LOL.

message 13: by Tina (new)

Tina Davina wrote: "Now that the season is over, I can't believe they expect us to wait a whole year for bloody season 2. This is why I hate TV. Arghhhh...
"

LOL, Davina. No Sympathy I've had to wait SIX YEARS between books 4 & 5. But in two weeks it'll be in my hot little hands!

Regards Imitiation of Life I highly recommend it. It tells two stories, the A-plot is all about Lana Turner's character and her rise to success as actress. But it the B-plot that lifts the film, imo. That part is about the black maid's daughter who is very light skinned and her attempts to Pass. For it's time, it is a remarkably sophisticated (if somewhat melodramatic) look at racial politics and identity.

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Tina, I place this move on the list for me to watch. I haven't seen it and it sounds very interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I was just talking to someone about Steel Magnolias and realize that is another tear jerker for me. I cried with Sally Field at the grave. LOL.

message 16: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments What site is that?