Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Achive > American Gods to be an HBO show?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I came across an article on Facebook this morning stating that American Gods is to become an HBO show sometime in 2013.

My jaw dropped! I hope that this is real. Although this isn't the same article, it still has lots of info!

http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/...

message 2: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 98 comments Could be very good....

message 3: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 65 comments Yay! Thank you for posting, Jason.

message 4: by Eileen (new)

Eileen That will be a great series!

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I haven't gotten to American Gods yet...

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Me neither. I have several Gaimans on my shelf staring at me....

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I'm kinda of nervous - but, then, that's my usual reaction anymore when I book I like is being turned into a movie or a show.

message 8: by Laurel (new)

Laurel They announce it a while ago. Tom Hanks is producing it for HBO, it will run 6 seasons. Gaiman has said he'll be involved in writing new or expanded material. Can't wait!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Tom Hanks always produces awesomeness. Given, said awesomeness usually involves WWII but nonetheless his track record is pretty danged awesome.

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments ☠The Dread Pirate Grant☠ wrote: "Tom Hanks always produces awesomeness. Given, said awesomeness usually involves WWII but nonetheless his track record is pretty danged awesome."

Exactly...and I have never seen him do a good fantasy. Why not the guy who did LotR? He did a good job.

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott Tom Hanks? Now it's going to turn into a meet-cute with Julia Roberts...

message 12: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Scott,

Trust me! Band of Brothers an The Pacific were far from cute! I doubt Julia Roberts would go anywhere near either project... I even watched a few scenes from behind my hands!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Besides his real Hollywood love is Meg Ryan. I'm ashamed to admit I've seen You've Got Mail entirely too many times for a heterosexual male. It's just so Good. *sigh*

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I still haven't watched The Pacific, but Band of Brothers was some damned fine watching.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) The Pacific was pretty awesome. I watched it with the volume so loud I'm surprised my ears didn't bleed.
Based on what he's done recently, American Gods will probably turn out pretty good. Now I just have to dig through my TBR pile and read the book.
I do know Tom Hanks is currently doing Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close...it is one of my favorite books, so I hope he does it justice.

message 16: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Tracey wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "Why not the guy who did LotR?"

Peter Fold-Spindle-and-Mutilate Jackson?! *weeps*"

*confused*

What has he mutilated?

message 17: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments SO, stopped by Books - A- Million...they seem to be missing about 900,000 books.

They didn't have any copies of anything written by Gaiman.

message 18: by Scott (new)

Scott That's horrid.

message 19: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments TTT?

I saw RotK - it wasn't that bad. He did cut a huge amount out (tho the bro-mance was strong) but it was no where near as bad as most movies...

message 20: by Scott (new)

Scott I thought more should have been cut...

message 21: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Um, Grant... I'm a pretty big fan of You've Got Mail. I think that makes you pretty cool! I mean, we all love Princess Bride, don't we? Can't a bunch of fantasy geeks sap out on a romantic comedy from time to time...

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) You didn't honestly just compare The Princess Bride with You've Got Mail, did you? *shakes head and walks out of this conversation*

message 23: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Tracey wrote: "It wasn't so much the cutting ... What these movies did well they did very well, and I learned a lot about why you can't just hand actors a book and say "OK! Rolling!" And they (because it wasn't ..."

I can totally understand what you're saying...but think about it for a minute. What other fantasy novel adaptation has been done better? Don't compare it to the books - just to other fantasy movie adaptations. I think he did a rather good job, all things considered.

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 28, 2011 01:51PM) (new)

MrsJoseph wrote: "Tracey wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "Why not the guy who did LotR?"

Peter Fold-Spindle-and-Mutilate Jackson?! *weeps*"

*confused*

What has he mutilated?"

I still can't get over the lack of Tom Bombadil in the movies.
I just see the movies as a different entity and I enjoy them. Some movies are made well enough that I can do that. Others (Eragon) not so much.

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I did miss Tom Bombadil. *sigh*

I have a problem with 99% of book adaptions - I totally get what you're saying.

But.

Close your eyes. Think about The Chronicles of Narnia. Remember The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Now think about the movie. The Horror! The Horror!!!!!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Uhh...helloooo...The Princess Bride is the single best fantasy novel adaptation Ever. Period. Hands Down. *raises eyebrow*

And even in that, they had to cut out the entire zoo scene. *shrugs* It's a sad reality of adaptations...there's just not room for everything.

I thought the LOTR trilogy reasonably well done. The only major complaints I had were the Tom Bombadil absence and the Frodo/Sam wannabe makeout sessions. If the characters were written gay then fine, I have no problem with them being filmed as starry eyed wanna be lovers. But they weren't. So why have them make man love with their eyes for a solid, miserable twenty minutes on film. Re-fing-diculous *rolls eyes*

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, the bromance...

Now I'm hearing the scene from Clerks II. Damnit.

message 28: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments That scene from Clerks 2 is so funny.
Well, the entire movie is funny actually.

message 29: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments ☠The Dread Pirate Grant☠ wrote: "Uhh...helloooo...The Princess Bride is the single best fantasy novel adaptation Ever. Period. Hands Down. *raises eyebrow*

And even in that, they had to cut out the entire zoo scene. *shrugs* ..."

Point. :) But I have to remind you that The Princess Bride at least the book as we currently know it was edited within an inch of it's life. It's a great adaptation from the edited book but I think that makes a difference.

And I 150% agree with the bromance. *face palm*

message 30: by Scott (new)

Scott The book isn't really edited.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

MrsJoseph wrote: "Point. :) But I have to remind you that The Princess Bride at least the book as we currently know it was edited within an inch of it's life. It's a great adaptation from the edited book but I think that makes a difference."

um.

You mean the whole 'good parts version' line?

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

*what Scott said. The "edited" book was actually part of the original book. Lol, can you imagine if it really had all those dry parts that they claimed to have edited out?

message 33: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I never read The Princess Bride. Hell, I didn't know it was even a book...

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Jason - The movie's better.

message 35: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Kind of rare for the movie to be better than the book, eh? lol

I've read novels based on the movie screenplay that were still better than the movie.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I guess it depends. I have the problem with what I call bias of first exposure - I tend to prefer whichever I saw first, if I liked it when I first saw/read it, that is.

I thought the book kind of dragged in places, went into extraneous details in other places, and the interruptions - which are kind of half-cute and half-annoying in the movie - are much more frequent in the book.

Maybe I need to read the book again someday and try not to compare it as much. It worked when I reread Howl's Moving Castle - but then that book and movie are so different it's easier not to compare as much.

message 37: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Scott wrote: "The book isn't really edited."

☠The Dread Pirate Grant☠ wrote: "*what Scott said. The "edited" book was actually part of the original book. Lol, can you imagine if it really had all those dry parts that they claimed to have edited out?"

The book is so totally edited. They removed what they didn't feel was necessary. Everyone wasn't happy about that. IIRC there were some people not happy with the editing.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Hrrrmmmmmm...I'll take your word on it,cuz, but I was always told otherwise. I bow to your superior google-fu :)

Colleen, I agree the movie was superior. It just came alive and the casting was absolutely spot on.

message 39: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (last edited Jun 29, 2011 06:50PM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Tracey wrote: "Are we talking about S. Morgenstern's original good-parts-plus edition? :/

From Wikipedia: The Princess Bride is presented as Goldman's abridgment of an older version by "S. Morgenstern", which w..."

I know I've never gotten/located a copy but I know someone who told me they read it - joke or Wikipedia?

message 40: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Oh well, he was a book swiper...could be a liar, too. I'm annoyed, though...

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) MrsJ - In the book Goldman presens it as if it was an edited version of a book written by S. Morgenstern. He concocted an elaborate story about the estate of Morgenstern and copyright issues and this whole legal battle - but even though it's presented as factual in the book, none of it is actually true.

So your friend didn't lie to you, they were just taken in by the false history that Goldman put in his book.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

lol...*hugs* Is okay

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) I've seen The Princess Bride so many times that I've memorized most of it, but I confess I've never read the book...I'm hoping to read it soon, though