ROBUST discussion

Book Talk & Exchange of Views > Thoughts on Pottermore

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Will (new)

Will Granger | 91 comments What do all think of J.K. Rowling's new Pottermore venture. Even more important, what do you think it means for the rest of us, and can we take advantage of it?
I can't see how moving Harry Potter to ebooks can hurt.

message 2: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 1110 comments Mod
What's the thought behind it? I don't know too much about it.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments I'm hoping it will mean a whole lot more kids/young adults with ereaders, because that's my main audience.

message 4: by Will (new)

Will Granger | 91 comments Here is a link to the press release. Basically, she is opening a new interactive website with new, unpublished features, but she will also be selling her Harry Potter books as ebooks.
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

message 5: by Sjm (new)

Sjm | 162 comments A point of view from Kindle Review: http://ireaderreview.com/2011/06/23/j...

I think she's wise to retain control of her intellectual property in any way that she can. As to comments about her books being stolen, if that's going to happen it will happen no matter who publishes them in electronic format. With tools like Calibre it wouldn't matter what platform the books were released under either. Perhaps she just didn't want to support any particular e-reader. More likely she recognizes that the Amazons and B&Ns of the world have nothing to offer her except a cut in her profits.

I don't know how it would make much of a difference to other authors how she publishes her e-books. Success in self-publishing is increased if you've already made a name for yourself. From what I understand of the process (not being an author myself), companies like Amazon do a bunch for the independent author in terms of exposure and income.

message 6: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments There is a school of thought that she has just changed the game and tweaked Amazon and B&N in the nose.

We will have to see how this rolls. But she's a smart cookie. I wouldn't put anything past her.

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments Rowling is a specialized case. In general, I think it would hurt, not help, authors to copy what she's doing. For authors who aren't a brand unto themselves, Amazon is a better fit. It's hard to imagine consumers wanting to go from website to website in search of ebooks. For Indies with no name recognition there'd be no point in setting up shop the way Rowling has. People have to know they exist before they'll go looking for them, but Amazon shoves them in the customer's face via features like "customers also bought" or "looked at" -- just as Amazon's general search engine does.

message 8: by Will (new)

Will Granger | 91 comments There will be more to Pottermore than just a new way to buy her novels as ebooks. It sounds like she will also add new material to the site in an interactive format. I think this is something we can do with our own websites. It may become a normal part of writing and publishing to have a website with extra stuff not found word-for-word in one's books. I guess we will see.

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments I can see it working for someone who has what amounts to a franchise, but if an author's doing unrelated titles, it'd be a waste of time and resources. Better to plunk the operational money into ads instead, or so it seems to me.

message 10: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 1110 comments Mod
With her, she has had phenomenal success both in print and film. She is established. For any other author without her level of success it would be very difficult to achieve anything beyond what other established forums could do for you.

message 11: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
Rowling has an established market of at least 100m proven buyers, perhaps several times that. She's a household name. That's a brand. She doesn't need the safety in numbers that Amazon offers. I agree with Sierra and Claudine, there's nothing except interest here for most other writers.

Ask yourself, could Stephen King do what Rowling has done? The answer is no. His books are too different from each other. Rowling is a special case because those books fit so closely around the central branding image.

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (xenasmom) | 306 comments Via Twitter just a couple hours ago---Pottermore---coming up tomorrow the first of three special previews of one of the chapters of Pottermore