ROBUST discussion

Book Talk & Exchange of Views > The Dollar Dreadful vs the Million Selling Author

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by K.A. (last edited Jun 27, 2011 07:30PM) (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments I found this via Dean Wesley Smith - I think it might be a good topic to discuss.

http://www.idealog.com/blog/would-mil...

John Locke sold a million e-books at $.99.

Did he lose money in the end?

message 2: by Alina (new)

Alina (firegal) | 25 comments Have to say that the most sense is being talked by Joe Konrath who makes the excellent point that, if there were any science in successful book selling then it would be predictive not explanative.

Obviously efforts can be taken to promote books but this does not explain the simultaneous worldwide success of people like Da Vinci Code, Dragon Tattoos, sparkly vampires, teenage wizards, etc.

Trad publishers are chasing that sort of take-off just as much as indie publishers are and they can't make it happen any more than indie publishers can. When you're in the right place at the right time then you're lucky.

Original article seems written by a defensive trad publisher. Would John Locke have sold a million e-books at $9.99 - that's enough to make a cat laugh.

When are publishers going to "get" the idea that readers hate them for the prices they charge? It's like asking us to feel sorry for used car salemen and real estate agents. We know you will lie to us to get our money and we don't like you for it. When will trad publishers just accept that the days when they were a respected profession are loooooonnnng gone and they better start competing on price point and value because that's the way of the future.

message 3: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments IF you take this down to the basis of article - what the heck is wrong with making $350k instead 1 mill?

I think it boils down to this old saying "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush."

Dean Wesley Smith seems to be taking a lot of flak for agreeing with this guy. And Dean is right from his point of view - 25 years in publishing.

But that doesn't make Locke wrong. It just doesn't make him a millionaire in 5 months.

Robin wrote this: http://publishingperspectives.com/201...

That is something I can get my head around.

This is my official opinion - FWIW - The learning curve on Indie publishing is a real b!itch.

There are a lot of e-pulp fiction writers, like myself, who are struggling to 'get the hang of it.' The $.99 mid-list crowd has gotten the hang of it.

message 4: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
For me, this is the key part of the Shatzkin article: "One of the things that the ebook retailers know for sure but that publishers can only guess about is the degree to which the purchasers of 99 cent books are a market separate from the purchasers of “branded” books at $9.99 and up. Many believe, and I’m among them, that there are distinctly separate groups of buyers..."

In addition, there seems to me a separate market at $2.99.

message 5: by Andre Jute (new)

K.A. wrote: "This is my official opinion - FWIW - The learning curve on Indie publishing is a real b!itch."

Nowhere near as difficult as traditional publishing where, to do the job properly, you had to learn reprographics and distribution chains and quite a bit of contract and international law, and a huge amount of local and international tax law. That's just for start.

Going indie, by comparison, is Publishing Light.

message 6: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments I believe it - when I read Dean Weslely Smith I get the sense that he's been around a long time and seen it all. (So do you, but you are quieter about it.)

Still, as an unknown trying to break out - this sucks.

I can learn proprietary software and WAN systems in 3 months or less. I've been at this a year and I still don't feel that I know what I'm doing. It only took me days to get the hang of Amazon, B&N and Smashwords. But marketing and getting noticed is kicking me hard.

AFter reading about Locke, I get that I need to think in units out, not copies sold. I need to think in thousands, not hundreds, in quarters, not weeks.

But I'll be a monkey's aunt if I can figure out how to launch this book.

I don't want to launch it at $.99 - but if I don't, how will people find it? (How will they find it in the sea of Dollar Dreadfuls is also beyond me.)

This may be Publishing Light - but what I've got in my hands isn't in the same league as the first book. So just dumping it on Smashwords and hoping for the best isn't going to cut it. I fixed all the voice and pace issues, put it on a tight timeline so there isn't any lag in the middle. It's fast and flows well.

The Big Picture of the Locke/price arguement isn't sales vs price as much as it is 'e-pulp fiction' versus Trade Publishing mindset. Value vs expediency? (can't spell it.)

Locke, like Hocking, isn't always on the Kindleboards, or other places a writer is 'supposed' to hang out. What works for others didn't have the scale he was after.

Maybe I should stop worrying about it and finish the damn book. LOL

message 7: by Andre Jute (new)

K.A. wrote: "Maybe I should stop worrying about it and finish the damn book. LOL "

That's the best plan. Always. So easy to forget what you are. You are a writer.

I haven't read Locke's book and don't think I need to. What I gather from reports is that Locke built his own marketing mechanism in Twitter, by turning his followers into evangelists for his books. Sounds good to me, purely as a marketing plan. But it isn't why I became a writer.

Frankly, I don't believe all these people who tell me they know what works. I was paid seven figures as an advertising executive, more in "expenses", even more as bonuses, and outrageously stroked for being a genius of marketing, but I just knew that sooner or later everyone would discover that I didn't actually know shit, that I lucked out, that I spent their $160m in the research budget on impressive stacks of fanfold which I never read. (I talked to housewives instead. It was my secret. The male chauvinist piggery that was my Board woulda fired me out of hand if they ever discovered I trusted mere consumers to tell me the truth.) I didn't know much, but I knew more than all the other guys combined. And the one thing I knew for sure was that we couldn't ever tell for certain why one product took off and not another. My take on Locke is that he is more likely to know, because he isn't a writer, he's a marketer, but all the same, the functioning of word of mouth, even in a theoretically closed loop like Twitter, strikes me as a breeding ground for bullshitters pretending to be psychologists.

Example. The other day I get a note from the jazz pianist Lynne Arriale asking me to be her sponsor or pal or something on Linkedin, whatever that may be. I'd forgotten I know Lynne, not having run into her in a decade or two, but she hadn't forgotten me. In the process I sign up to Linkedin, in a halfhearted sort of way, giving them the minimum information: name, email, password, goodbye, I stand on my rights under the Geneva Convention. No idea what Lynne told them about me, if anything; she knows me as a writer on classical music. But Linkedin scurries around a bit like a rat hunting a tidbit, and the next thing that happens is that, before any of the boards for writers that I frequent has it, I receive a post with a whole lotta comments on it already that's right up my street: "Will Harry Potter in eBooks Pack a Punch?" This is the first and only post I've had from Linkedin. That's very impressive. The point is that in this instance I think I know the links, but I clearly don't know all of them. Where did the Potter link come from?

message 8: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments You should join us at Laphroaig Writers - we are a happy bunch who pick each other's brains on Linked In. Ian Mathie picked the name, he's a Scotsman who wrote 'Bride Price' an excellant book on living in Africa in the 1970's.

The Linked in forums send out links and notifications every so often. It's minor spam, nothing to worry about.

Twitter - another system to learn. (rolling eyes) Facebook is supposed to be 'it' one week and twitter the next. I need to get a twitter account - for my alter-ego Ms Kitty. She's been pretty quiet lately. Maybe I should start ranting again?

message 9: by Andre Jute (new)

Lobola. Funny you should mention bride price. I brought it up the other day when Sierra was saying what beautiful names for a girl Ebola and Malaria are.

How many cows did your husband give for you?

message 10: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments LOL - I can't abide cows. They stink.

My 'dowry' was three high quality Quarter Horses. Two show horses and my juvenile delinquent mare.

Hubby pays for their keep - and the farm.

Horses OTOH smell like Heaven! I've had women come to my house just to smell the horses. Horsewomen are SO strange - we all understand it, but can't explain it.

message 11: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Back on the subject of the Dollar Dreadful.

So if selling a book at $.99 is throwing away money - which it may well be - then where should an unknown pulp fiction writer like myself price a new book?

We are talkinga about a genre (Paranormal Romance) e-book of 66k words - with a pro cover, professionally copy edited.

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments Andre and I argue about this. I don't think you're throwing away money pricing your book at 99-cents. You're building an audience. The number of words, the pro cover, and pro editing won't mean squat to the reader who never heard of you and needs to be nudged into giving your book try. Readers expect a good product. When those marks of quality are missing, not when they're present, is when you're gonna hear about 'em.

message 13: by K.A. (last edited Jun 30, 2011 09:23PM) (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments So you are in the 'release at $.99' camp. So what then would be the trigger to raise the price?

I can see releasing at $2.99 and handing out free or discounted coupons. Or even starting at $.99 for a limited amount of time or a certain number of copies. (Say the first thousand.)

Andre - are you going to weigh in?

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments I'm the last person to give advice. My books aren't flying off the shelf. They're not even crawling. I see the logic in both sides of the argument: one side wants to maintain perceived value by avoiding the dirt-cheap price, but the other side points to those who make big bucks by selling for under a buck.

To my eye, there's really no difference in the perceived value of books priced at 99-cents versus those at $2.99. Both prices tell me the book is probably not by a known author and may suffer from the flaws that so many Indie books exhibit. But 99-cents is a price that might make shoppers skip the sampling process altogether and hit the one-click button.

The swell thing about book pricing is that it can be changed at will. You can experiment and find out first-hand if you make more per book at $2.99 but less overall because the volume isn't there, or if $2.99 is your sweet spot. Or go higher and see if that helps or hinders.

I've been through several pricing tests lately, even going well above $2.99. For me, 99-cents performs best, but as I said I don't sell many books at any price so my advice is probably worth ignoring.

message 15: by Andre Jute (new)

K.A. wrote: "Andre - are you going to weigh in?."

The problem is that, after six months, I'm concluding I should have taken Konrath's advice and saved the effort of my own experiments. $2.99 works for me. I'm not happy at 99c, and it made no difference to my readers. £4.99, the other price I tried, kills sales altogether. Either people have forgotten me, or they've become so used the depressed book prices, they won't pay high prices even for me. Perhaps after I've swum in these waters for a while, I'll have a readership that'll go up with me to a higher price. Most of my books are thicker than the two I currently have out.

I'll very likely stick at $2.99 now for a good long while, and for promotion use 100% off coupons on Smashwords, and Gemma is talking about launching Dakota at $2.99, with one novel at either 99c or free as a come-on. And she wants to try a big giveaway on Librarything, hundreds of copies, perhaps even a thousand. She was about to do that with my Larsson book when it suddenly took off.

message 16: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments We are all in the same boat, then.

What I noticed is this - giving away a short story with blurbs for the book helped - but the lag time was more than 3 weeks.

My short story Impressive Bravado has my author links and blurbs for both books.

It took off like a shot the first 2 weeks, then June 1, I started to charge for it - I've sold 2 copies on Smashwords since.

Right now I have EVERYTHING free on smashwords. Just in order to get word out for the new book.

How many units will go out? Last time it was 50 a week.

If you want to join the smashwords promotion the link is here: Thank you for enrolling in the Smashwords Summer/Winter promotion, taking place July 1-31.
It's summer in the Northern Hemisphere, and Winter in the Southern Hemisphere. What better time to enjoy a Smashwords ebook!

The after-coupon price for your book must either be $.99 or greater, or FREE.

You can change your enrollment preferences at any time by visiting the enrollment page at http://www.smashwords.com/dashboard/s...

Here's how you can promote your participation in the event:

1. Post an announcement on your blog and web site about your participation, and the special deal you're offering. Provide a direct link to your book page or your author page (click "My Smashwords for links to each).

2. Click to your book page and click the social media sharing links to post links to your book to Facebook, Twitter and other social networks.

3. Post a notice to your favorite ebook message boards. Many message boards welcome authors to post information about their books and book promotions - see the Smashwords Book Marketing Guide for a few names, plus read over 30 other book marketing ideas you can implement at no cost! -

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/305

Have fun!

The Smashwords Team

message 17: by Andre Jute (new)

Thanks for the headsup to the Smashwords special promotion, Kat. I missed the Mad March promotion there, so I'll be interested to see whether the promotion lifts my sales on Smashwords above the current level of 3% of Amazon sales.

message 18: by K.A. (last edited Jul 01, 2011 02:31PM) (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments I gave away 77 books during the March Madness sale. Now I've got 2 stories of mine and 2 of Mom's stories.

After the March Sale I didn' sell another book until June - so this is going to hurt sales AGAIN.

The goal is to get people looking for 'Swallow the Moon' - I need to remember that. If I move a thousand units I can't snivel about money lost.

(sniff)

message 19: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 240 comments So, by December of 2012 I intend to have three titles out. One stand alone, and two parts of a trilogy. That's when I'm planning on my next big marketing push.

A Proper Romance (the stand alone) is a big wodge of candy floss paranormal romance. It will go for .99 and have one of the more romantic bits of Sylvianna at the end, as well as links to buy it. This is the easiest of the three to sell because it fits into it's genre nicely, it's mid-length (140k words), has a happy ending, and is fun romantic escapism. I will promote the living snot out of this thing as a way to get people to know I exist. I'll be giving it away free on Smashwords and hope Amazon will drop it to 0.00 as well.

Next up: Sylvianna which will also be dropping to .99. It's the first book in the series, and I want people to read it. Most people who have read it, want to know what happens next. It will have a chunk of Justice and links to it and Proper Romance as well. I will also offer this one free on Smashwords and elsewhere in hopes Amazon will drop it to 0.

Justice will stay at 3.99. Sylvianna ended with a cliff hanger and I'm willing to bet people will spend not quite four bucks to see what happens next. Of course this will also have the links to my other books and hopefully a bit of the next book in it as well.

The Ossolyn Omnibus is Sylvianna and Justice together as one ebook also at $3.99. Buy one at full price and get the other free.

The thing Locke talks about that I've also noticed on all the other big sellers (Victorine excluded) is they've got more than one book out. Koranth talks about your best marketing is your books. So, until I've got multiple titles out, if I've got the time to write or promote, I'll be writing.

So, the question is will 2013 be the year Keryl Raist becomes a household name?

message 20: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Good plan Keryl - I think it is very important that we price our books where we are comfortable.

I'm uploading "Swallow the Moon" to Smashwords tonight. and pricing it at $3.99. Then I'll have the ISBN I need for Apple and Sony.

Since it will take a week or more for the book to 'process' I'll upload it to B&N as well.

Unless I chicken out.

Which is possible - likely - more than likely.

AWK!

message 21: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 240 comments Don't chicken out. Publish KA, publish!

message 22: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments buk buk buk AWK!

message 23: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Well, I pulled the trigger on 'Swallow the Moon' tonight.

Smashwords was running fast! Less than 15 minutes. Pubit is still slower than Molasses in January.

Thanks for the encouragement, Keryl.

My best friend talked me into pricing it at $4.99.

I guess now we just wait and see.

message 24: by Andre Jute (new)

The Survivor a short story, live only since yesterday on Smashwords, where it is free, has already outpulled both my other books there. Get it free at Smashwords
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

The Survivor a short story by Andre Jute

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Thanks for leading the way, Kat.

message 25: by Katie (last edited Jul 11, 2011 09:55PM) (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Congratulations on having the courage, Kat! And I hope your numbers continue to rise, Andre. Is it free forever or just for July?

Since I put Treespeaker into the promotion at Smashwords and made it free, I've given away almost as many as I'd sold anywhere in the ten weeks it has been available. That's still not a huge number, but pretty exciting. That's so many more people reading it and I firmly believe it's only going to take off when enough have read it to give power to word-of-mouth. You wouldn't think the difference between 99c and nothing would be such a draw, would you?

message 26: by Andre Jute (new)

The Survivor is free until I change my mind, though if it damages the sales of IDITAROD I'll withdraw it.

About pricing and people, one of the things I did in advertising was research people's attitudes to prices, particularly threshold prices like x.99. In the end I concluded that the guess of an experienced marketer has at least an even chance of being as good as a few million in research -- and in pricing decisions, an even chance of being right is *good* odds!

message 27: by K.A. (last edited Jul 11, 2011 11:01PM) (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Hold onto your hats - we'll have to see how things roll out.

Anything you give away should have links to the rest of your work. Put in blurbs, email and blog addresses too. FREE is profitable when it leads to sales.

message 28: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments Good luck with the new book, K.A.

I'll tell you about my experience on Smashwords. I had Sheet Music priced at $2.99, but only briefly. Then I dropped it to $0.99. It sold zero copies at both price points. But now that it's free, 215 people (at last count) downloaded it.

Andre, I don't see how your free story could take sales from IDITAROD. It's a solid marketing vehicle for the book. How could anyone read it and not want want to read what it was pulled out of? You make clear it's not repeated in your book.

When I worked in advertising, the research I saw indicated that $2.99 was the sweet spot for impulsve purchases. At $3, people thought they were spending money. Under that, even by a penny, they thought "Aw, what the heck..." The value of money has changed since then, so maybe the sweet spot has changed along with it. Back in the early days of the Kindle, it looked like Jeff Bezos had put the sweet spot at $9.99, but price-cutting by others took care of that.

For a week, it was clear to me that people buy even at $11.99. Two of my books that were lowered to that price by Random House from outrageous highs were selling every day. Maybe they still are (I haven't looked). I suspect the sales were to people on an email list waiting to be notified when the price dropped because the sales began immediately when the cut went into effect. As for myself, I'll pay up to $14.99 when I really want a title, and maybe beyond that if I have to. I just know that $14.99 is the highest I've gone so far except when I bought my own books to give away to others.

I suspect that a lot of people who download free books don't read most of them. They take them only because they're free and there's a tiny spark of interest in the title at the time of download. But then along come titles that aren't free, but the person knows s/he will like 'em, and those are the ones that get read. Or maybe I'm describing just myself...

message 29: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments I wonder the same thing. The 'cheap readers' seem to hoard books, they don't promote them or seem to review them.

As bad as the economy is - I understand why people go looking for cheap books.

But I don't read very many. I read Victorine's book and a few others. I read Andre's book on Laarsen.

message 30: by Andre Jute (new)

I'm flattered.

I'm in the same boat though. All I've read for months now is Dakota's novels and other novels I'm editing, and very short pieces by people I've met on the net. If my patch of the sky goes dark for a month, it is because I settled in with a good book and didn't stop until I reached the bottom of the pile.

message 31: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments message 19: by Keryl Jul 11, 2011 01:31pm

A Proper Romance (the stand alone) is a big wodge of candy floss paranormal romance. It will go for .99

I'm curious about this statement. How do you write a paranormal that's also a 'big wodge of candy floss?'

I think that candy floss is spun sugar. So are you saying you wrote a 'sweet' (as in sexless) paranormal romance?

Or do you mean that the plot is simple and sugary-feel-good?

message 32: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 240 comments I mean it's a feel good, fun, not much darkness sort of story.

It about two people who survived a war, so there was dark stuff, and it gets mentioned occasionally, but it's pretty much all off camera, falling in love and moving on.

It's cute. It's funny. It's sweet. It is sexy, too. But unlike most of my other stuff it has an unambiguous happy ending and isn't very dark.

As for paranormal candy floss, just because your characters are wizards doesn't mean it has to be all gloom and doom.

message 33: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Hmm - never thought of PNR that way.

I think of PNR as dark, with lots of moody settings and creepy characters, usually with vampires and werewolves.

The 'candy floss' reference threw me.

The great thing about DIY publishing: you can do it your way.

message 34: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 240 comments Well, that's true, too. And I'm not sure if this is one I could sell to a regular publisher or not. But it's remarkably un-creepy.

It's practically paranormal chick-lit.

message 35: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments There was an imprint that used to specialize in paranormal Chick-lit.

Chick-lit is one of those 'vanished' genre as far as trade publishing is concerned. Women still buy it and read it.

message 36: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 240 comments K. wrote: "There was an imprint that used to specialize in paranormal Chick-lit.

Chick-lit is one of those 'vanished' genre as far as trade publishing is concerned. Women still buy it and read it."

What do you mean by vanished? I'll admit I'm not paying nearly as much attention to trad publishing these days.

message 37: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Chick-lit was something all the agents wanted for about 2 years. They posted 'we want chick-lit' all over their blogs.

Not too long after that it was "NO CHICK-LIT" and 'CHICK-LIT IS DEAD" in capital letters. I thought it was funny.

What is even funnier is that readers and writers have kept 'chick-lit' as a blanket term for romance and women's fiction when the agents were looking for something VERY specific.

message 38: by Andre Jute (new)

What was that, Keryl? And what was chick lit anyway? I thought it was Bridget Jones's Diary, and couldn't understand why it required a category to itself. Comedy is comedy is comedy, as Gertrude Stein said so wisely.

message 39: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Chick-lit (as per agents) was a 1st person narrative with a 20-something female MC. The 'voice' was breezy, catty and snarky - the emphasis on Men, Booze and Shoes. The plot was all about the MC partying with MR WRONG while wearing designer shoes and drinking a lot.

Bridget Jones' Diary was considered the first and the model. It was a quick-fire fad. But there for awhile even Harlequin had a chick-lit imprint.

Now Chic-lit is any story written for women in 1st person. (Your interpetation may vary.)

message 40: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 240 comments K. wrote: "Chick-lit (as per agents) was a 1st person narrative with a 20-something female MC. The 'voice' was breezy, catty and snarky - the emphasis on Men, Booze and Shoes. The plot was all about the MC pa..."

With one additional aspect: A romance has more than 50% of the plot on the relationship and requires a happy-ever-after ending.

If you write a romantic book with a young, trendy female MC that doesn't quite measure up to this, it's now Chick Lit.

message 41: by Andre Jute (new)

This is starting to sound a bit too rigid for me. I’m a novelist. A novel is a story about people someone wants to read about. It’s a novel because I say it is a novel, and a publisher agrees with me. Millions of readers can also identify it as a novel. That’s good enough for me.

I've found this conversation so interesting I've put some thoughts at a tangent on my blog at
http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/ar...

message 42: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Romance has so much structure that to be a 'true' romance novel there are quite a few 'rules' that need to be followed.

Which is why my first book wouldn't sell to a romance publisher - I didn't follow the rules. Luckily, paranormal romance is a bit less strict.

message 43: by Andre Jute (new)

Considering that I had many other opportunities to express myself (I was a painter, a director in the theatre, a broadcaster and so on; I'm still a typographer and an industrial designer) I'm not so sure I would have bothered being a novelist if I heard too much about rules when I started out. I just think that being so constricted takes the glee out of art.

K. wrote: "Romance has so much structure that to be a 'true' romance novel there are quite a few 'rules' that need to be followed.

Which is why my first book wouldn't sell to a romance publisher - I didn'..."

message 44: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments I got very frustrated, at first.

Then I found it curious why it was a genre written for women, mostly by women, that had the most structure. I came to the conculsion that it was the gatekeepers (agents) who wanted the 'forumula romance' because it was easy to sell.

It could be worse, I could have tried to emulate the Harelquin 'voice' - it never would have worked.

message 45: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 240 comments I've talked to romance readers, and there's a reason that formula sells. They want it. They're hardcore about the fantasy meeting the structure they want.

You can write whatever you want, but if you call it a romance, you've set up a collection of expectations.

I see it like this: If I was trying to sell a soda and labeled it Diet Grape Soda, people would expect it to have very few calories and taste a certain way. If the stuff in the bottle was actually cranberry-grape flavored and had 50 calories a serving, it might be sort of like diet grape soda, but it's not what anyone is expecting when they pick up the bottle. People who bought it expecting diet grape soda would be very unhappy with what was in that bottle, no matter if what was in there tasted good or not.

So call it chick lit, paranormal romance, fiction, erotica, whatever, and make it easier to connect yourself to the readers looking for your story.

message 46: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments I agree - it just took me a few months to get used to the idea.

Writing for men is a lot easier by comparison.

message 47: by Andre Jute (new)

K. wrote: "Writing for men is a lot easier by comparison."

Now you tell me!

message 48: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments K., aren't you the artist formerly known as K.A.?

message 49: by K.A. (last edited Jul 17, 2011 09:02PM) (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Yeah - strange things happened when I was trying to find 'Swallow the Moon' - it complained about my name and all kinds of strange errors..

I don't understand why I can't be 'Kat' here.

Whoever wrote this software could have done better with a crayon. It has more bugs than an antfarm.

message 50: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Tillotson (storytellerauthor) | 1802 comments K. wrote: "...Whoever wrote this software could have done better with a crayon. It has more bugs than an antfarm..."

LOL, Kat.

You should be able to be 'Kat' here though. When I first came here I asked for Shazza, my borrowed Ozzz nickname (after a friend insisted it suited me better than Sharon). Even though Shazza was taken by a few folk, it was accepted for me. Then when I got my author page I took some (very good I believe) advice to always use my own name. But I rather like K., makes some kind of statement...

« previous 1 3