Goodreads Ireland discussion

Introductions > Andrea

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (leosmom2001) Hi. I am not Irish, but I am going to Ireland in two months for a good 3 week trip covering the North and South. I love history and culture and I always try to do some relevant reading before going somewhere new.

So, do any of you have any recommendations for a good history/background of Ireland, especially about the Troubles. I'm looking for something non-fiction only. Thanks very much!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

You could try Eamonn Mallie never read any of his books, but he is a Journalist based in Northern Ireland and he is the "expert" when it comes to the Troubles.

A couple of books look interesting Endgame in Irelandand Fight for Peace.

message 3: by Mae (last edited Jun 28, 2011 05:16AM) (new)

Mae (goodreadscommae) | 217 comments Andrea wrote: "Hi. I am not Irish, but I am going to Ireland in two months for a good 3 week trip covering the North and South. I love history and culture and I always try to do some relevant reading before goi..."
If you want a good balanced version of the famine. Read the Star of the Sea. Just read it and its brilliant. Its fiction, but historically accurate.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (leosmom2001) Thanks! Hope to get to the library today to see what they have.
Anyone else?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello and welcome, Andrea. I can recommend some of my favourite Irish historical fiction. A Star Called Henry, Strumpet City and A Long Long Way are all excellent reads. They're all about Ireland from around the beginning of the last century, but from different viewpoints. If I had to pick one I'd recommend Strumpet City.

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (leosmom2001) Thanks Declan. I am really looking for non-fiction if anyone has anything to suggest along those lines.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

In that case go for Endgame in Ireland as recommended by Sam. I haven't read the novel, myself, but there was a BBC documentary based on it which I saw. It takes a comprehensive look at the ploitics of Northern Ireland. Cromwell in Ireland has also been recommended to me by a reliable friend. I'd advise having at least some background knowledge of his campaign before concentrating on the troubles. I have read To Hell or Barbados: The Ethnic Cleansing of Ireland. This deals with the aftermath of Cromwell, particualrly the transplantation of Irish Catholics to the West Indies and Virginia. I can recommend this, personally.

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (leosmom2001) Thanks so much! Great advice, not very familiar with Cromwell, so it's a great start.
Thanks.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

You're welcome.

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (leosmom2001) I couldn't get to BPL today, but got these at my smaller branch: Portrait of Ireland by Liam De Paor and The Great Hunger by Cecil Woodham-Smith, which is a classic I think. It's a good start I hope.
Thanks!