We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives - Group Reads > July 2011 Book Club Discussion: Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #1) by Julia Quinn

Honoria Smythe-Smith, the youngest daughter of the eldest son of the Earl of Winstead, plays the violin in the annual musicale performed by the Smythe-Smith quartet. She's well aware that they are dreadful but she's the sort who figures that nothing good will come of being mortified, so she puts on a good show and laughs about it.

Marcus Holroyd is the best friend of Honoria's brother Daniel, who lives in exile. Marcus has promised to watch out for Honoria, but he faces a challenge when she sets off for Cambridge determined to marry by the end of the season. She's got her eye on the only unmarried Bridgerton, who's a bit wet behind the ears. When her advances are spurned, can Marcus swoop in and steal her heart in time for the musicale

message 2: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments can't wait to hear your thoughts!

When Funmi Met Romance (whenfunmimetromance) | 26 comments I shall start this tomorrow, excited for my first book club discussion :)

message 4: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments I couldn't wait till July, I just finished this one! Can't wait to see what everyone thinks. As with other JQ books, I devoured this one.

message 5: by D.G. (new)

D.G. I didn't know this would be JLH would be next month's discussion! I was already planning to read it in July so I'll be looking forward to talking to you guys about it. :)

message 6: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Can't wait to hear your thoughts D.G.!!!!!!!!!!!

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 828 comments I loved this book. I love a romance that starts with a friendship and this one was perfect. I was laughing so hard especially during the musicale practice. JQ delivered another great story. The hero and heroine are both delightful and just fit perfect together. Neither are flashy or smooth just honest, respectful and sweet.

message 8: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Julia Quinn is so good for that! Sweet, funny and they just touch your heart.

message 9: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Loved this book. It was just what I needed while trying to wade through A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin !! Something on the lighter side. A sweet romance.

message 10: by Autumn (new)

Autumn   (sweetdenial) | 1625 comments Im glad you ladies seemed to have enjoyed it. I however, I think i am in the other end of the stick.. :P didnt love it... I was a bit disappointed,because i usually enjoy her books. I will be waiting for Iris book she held great appeal to me.

message 11: by -Edamommie- (new)

-Edamommie- Autumn wrote: "Im glad you ladies seemed to have enjoyed it. I however, I think i am in the other end of the stick.. :P didnt love it... I was a bit disappointed,because i usually enjoy her books. I will be waiti..."

Unfortunately me too! I was so excited to read it but the chapter with Marcus's leg injury was gross...lol

message 12: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments hmmm, that's too bad!! I hate hearing that!

message 13: by ᑭᑌᑎƳᗩ [Punya Reviews...] (last edited Jul 25, 2011 12:45PM) (new)

ᑭᑌᑎƳᗩ [Punya Reviews...] (sadeyes) | 241 comments This one was much better than Ten Things. I wasn't expecting anything angsty/darker stuff so in that sense JQ didn't disappoint me. I still wish she'd write another book like When He Was Wicked though.

message 14: by Autumn (new)

Autumn   (sweetdenial) | 1625 comments Punya H. wrote: "This one was much better than Ten Things. I wasn't expecting anything angsty/darker stuff so in that sense JQ didn't disappoint me. I still wish she'd write another book like [book:When He Was Wick..."

absoltutely agree with Punya here!(whww has been my favorite all along) Although, i dont like fluffy scripts the stories are not shallow. JQ always manages to blend a strong plot without having to be dark about it like familiar ties, strong friendships etc.

I felt this book had great potential.However, the WRITING TECHNIQUE.. let me just say i was just "argh!" a lot! during the reading LOL! I dont know if that particular aspect bothers the readers, but when i pick a book from a writer whose talent i have had the pleasure to explore, i do hold that against them.

Beckah, did you read the book already??? if so, what are your thoughts?? :)

xoxoxo

message 15: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 469 comments I enjoyed it for what it was. A light, fun read. I agree it wasn't her best. I felt the characters were likable and the banter was witty. The story flowed smoothly for me and kept me turning pages. I have no real complaints.

message 16: by ᑭᑌᑎƳᗩ [Punya Reviews...] (last edited Jul 26, 2011 12:39PM) (new)

ᑭᑌᑎƳᗩ [Punya Reviews...] (sadeyes) | 241 comments Thank you Autumn. I also have some complaints about JQ's recent writing style, some of the things seems to me kinda create problems with the flow of the narration (remember the list thingy in Ten Things, seems like everything was one this, two that, three those... Brighter Than the Sun was actually funny with the hero's compulsive list making but Ten Things, grrr!).

I've given it 4 stars because I really enjoyed the banters between the cousins and looking forward to their books. But, of course, her best IMO would be the 1st 6 Bridgerton books. So, I still wish ... *sigh*

After reading When He Was Wicked for the 3rd time (and sighing all along again) I just had to ask Ms. Quinn about another Scottish hero; her answer was something like: not sure, 1st two Smythe-Smiths won't get any (guess they were already planned by then) but for the next books, who knows! Doesn't really answer a lot but guess we just have to wait and see.

message 17: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn was her best, IMHO.

message 18: by Autumn (new)

Autumn   (sweetdenial) | 1625 comments Ahh! Ditto on that Punya!!! Ten things kept redundancy at the maximum level. I dont know whats going on with that?? It kills the flow and whatever she tries to inspire. (in me).

when he was wicked and the miranda diaries are my two favs. the second epilogue of WHWW is ahh so beautiful!!

message 19: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jul 26, 2011 08:47PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Autumn wrote: "Ahh! Ditto on that Punya!!! Ten things kept redundancy at the maximum level. I dont know whats going on with that?? It kills the flow and whatever she tries to inspire. (in me).

when he was wicke..."

Autumn, that is the only epilogue I bought and read. I'll probably get them all when she finished the last two and bundles them all together.

message 20: by Autumn (new)

Autumn   (sweetdenial) | 1625 comments Lisa Kay wrote:" Autumn, that is the only epilogue I bought and read. I'll probably get them all when she finished the last two and bundles them all together. "

its honestly the one worth spending the $$ for. ;)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.