The Help The Help discussion

Considering all Aibileen’s love, encouragement and education do you think her precious Mae Mobley will turn out differently than the examples her parents, relatives and friends set for her? Or do you think she will be a product of her environment?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Considering all Aibileen’s love, encouragement and education do you think her precious Mae Mobley will turn out differently than the examples her parents, relatives and friends set for her? Or do you think she will be a product of her environment?

Charlotte Waller I think she will love folks of all colors because her caretaker loved her.

message 3: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee I want to hope that what Abilene taught her will stick with her - but she is going to be around her mother so much more, and potentially hilly, especially as she heads into school, so I think she will be more in line with them

Davina Bell Even with all of Aibileen's love unfortunately, I believe Mae Mobley will be a product of her environment unless she has a
personality like Skeeter.

message 5: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Love this discussion! Love the opinions! Can't wait to hear all the points of view. ;o)

Farrah I think Aibileen's teachings and stories helped mold Mae's personality and understanding of people. I think she will see tht her mother was foolish and ignorant. Mae will also grow up in a different decade and will see the changes that are made in the country. So her environment will be radically different than what Hilly grew up in.

Stephanie Turner If she had been a little older when Aibleen left, I would say she would be more like Skeeter but unfortunately she is so young and still has a lot of her mother's influence ahead.

Kathleen Dudynski I hope there will be a lasting influence, coupled with the era her generation is entering into. Hopefully a piece of Aibileen's influence will stay with her forever.

Stacey Lynn With the seeds planted by Aibileen and changes happening all around her, I think Mae Mobley would grow up to be very different then her mother.

Lorrie Mae is already showing a strong personality and I think her mothers emotional neglect will ultimately make the biggest difference. Aibileen has given her affection and kindness during formative years and I think that will count for something.

Kendra I think that Mae Mobley will grow up with tolerance for all people. She seems to have a very keen perception of feelings and emotions that are going on around her. Aibileen is determined to influence her in a very positive way.

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa I'm worried that Aibileen did not have her quite long enough... but being born when she was and the civil rights movement at the same time, her memory of her Aibee and of Martian Luther Kind will do Aibilee proud! Mae Mobley will not be like her mother. She will be much stronger!!!

message 13: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb The last comment made me laugh. It made me think of how the one day Mae Mobley's dad caught her playing "Woolworth's lunch counter" in her bedroom. That cracked me up! When she told her brother he had to sit there and she threw all kinds of stuff on him and he couldn’t move. Now, that is the truth of the matter… but it is HILARIOUS that this little girl was playing that as a game and her dad was just fit to be tied! HAHA! I also love that when he, flabbergasted as he was, asked who taught her how to play that…she saved Aibileen by saying it was the preschool teacher that Aibileen didn’t like. Lol I loved this book! ;o)

Julia OK girls (and my book friend Debbie) - I don't want to read your reviews, as I first want to finish a book before I read any reviews, but I just want to say - I started this book yesterday. I've only read 11 pages and I'm in love!! I know this is going to be a fantastic read. I can hear this woman talking - it's amazing!!

message 15: by Andrea (last edited Jul 10, 2011 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea Oh, I do hope Mae Mobley turns out to be ok. I think she already resents her mother. Hopefully she remembers Aibileen's teachings and love.

message 16: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Julia wrote: "OK girls (and my book friend Debbie) - I don't want to read your reviews, as I first want to finish a book before I read any reviews, but I just want to say - I started this book yesterday. I've o..."

I told you! ;o) Read on, Read on....

Debbie Mcarthur I hope she turns out more like Skeeter too...but afraid Abileen didn't have quite enough time with her as others have said. The "savin grace" for want of better phrase..is the neglect of her mama and Abileen givin her so much love and being such a wonderful influence on her.
I loved that part about the Woolworth game too and the part about the pie was priceless!!! U always hear LOL..I literally laughed out loud! LOVE this book! Wish I cud get everyone to read it.

message 18: by Heathercheryl (last edited Jul 18, 2011 09:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heathercheryl Stevenson I know the book is fiction but it is based on the author's experiences growing up in Mississippi. I suspect that Mae Moebly's character is based on Kathryn Stockett as a child.

I was encouraged to see Mae Moebly at that early age, hide the truth from her father about who taught her the game she was playing with her brother and delighted it resulted in her being removed from the classroom of the pre-school teacher. Also pleased Mae Moebly was teaching her brother games and stories learned from Aibleen, they were not listened to and forgotten, they had become part of her life...it told me that even when Aibleen was no longer there the impact of her nurturing and teaching was powerful. A child's character is formed very early in life.

Readingmomma In a perfect world I would say no, that Mae Mobley will remember what Aibileen taught her but as we all know we don't live in a perfect world.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

considering She had a similar situation as Skeeter, I'd like to think she will be fine. Skeeter did have Constantine for much longer though.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

One of my favorite books this year!

Viviana D. Otero Read the book, watch the film, and join the chat!

http://www.goodreads.com/event/list_user

message 23: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee I think it's possible that she'll turn out a good bit like Skeeter. :]

message 24: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Beth wrote: "I think it's possible that she'll turn out a good bit like Skeeter. :]"

That's an interesting thought Beth. ;o)
Why do you think so? She didn’t have really any interaction with Skeeter. But maybe the question is what made Skeeter, Skeeter?

message 25: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee I suppose I say that more as a result of Skeeter's relationship with Constantine. Mae Mobley is a good deal younger, but I think, if the lessons Aibileen taught her manage to stick, she'll grow up with an appreciation for her self and for the people around her that is similar to Skeeter in some ways. At least, I would hope that might be the case. :]

Personality-wise, they would probably be quite different, but I think that sense of gratitude towards her "help" would shine through in positive ways.

Alli Cat of Night I think that she won't turn out like her mother. She loved Aibileen and she knows that her mother doesn't love her. I think that fact that she'll most likey hate her mother will help. And when she's older and finds out Hilly is the reason that Aibileen got fired I think she'll remember Aibileen- at lest a little- she won't listen to them either. I think Her mama's got a longggggg way ahead of her.

message 27: by Betsy (last edited Jul 23, 2011 07:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Betsy Mae Mobley is going to need and deserve therapy as an adult.The conflict between her critical,weak bigoted Mama who couldn't love her, and the srong loving tolerant Abline, her true emotional mother was intense. Abilene was lost to Mae Mobley. Society will increase the quilt Mae Mobley will feel for justifiably not loving her Mom, and loving a black woman in her place. I only hope Mae Mobley's therapist is a tolerant loving person as well and can lead Mae Mobley to value her true self.
But the times did change - at least to some extent. All those black maids had much more effect on people's attitudes and reality in the South than is known or believed.

Holden Robinson Although Mae Mobley is a fictional character, sadly, the world is full (still) of precious Mae Mobleys. I believe they are a product of their environment and upbringing, and one would hope that Aibileen's loving manner rubbed off on her. She will consistently feel the disdain her poor-excuse-for-a-mother has for her. As others have said, hopefully she'd find a kind and gentle therapist. I will also add how much I wanted to choke her mother.

Sharanda  Humes-Forbes I think she will become a combo of the two , considering that Abilene was with her through the precious first years of her life most of what she was taught will stay with her and has already been embedded in her already , however, she will always be a product of her environment so it will be up to her to practice what she was taught when life roars its ugly head.

Michael Sadly, I think Mae Mobley will end up a product of her environment. I think she'll have fond memories of Aibileen, but with a mother like like Elizabeth I don't think she stands a chance. But we don't know a lot about Mae Mobley's dad (which is another shortcoming of the book) and his possible influence on her.

message 31: by Jazz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jazz I think Mae Mobley will always remember what Aibileen taught her, and treat everyone the same, no matter their race. After all, Mae Mobley considers Aibileen to be her mother and Aibileen loved when her mother didn't. I don't think Mae Mobley will ever forget and when things happen, I can see her remember Aibileen and the things Aibileen taught her and do her best not to disappoint Aibileen.

Michael Isn't MM only 3 when the book ends? I think when she's older she'll always have memories of "a woman" from her childhood, but I'm not sure how many of the lessons will survive a public school system and 20-some-odd years of life in Jackson, MS.

Maria I think she will turn out like Skeeter. She is going to be a product of her environment but because of the love and care ,she will consider to make better choices and if not she will at least feel sympathy.

Maria That is a very good point that you brought up about the public school system. Looking back , I feel like elementary years of schooling have shadowed all that I knew when I was three. Some call it growing up, but I think it is "influence."

Alli Cat of Night I think that during the book, times were changeing. I think she was born right at the begining of this huge upriseing, for civil rights. I do think that a lot of people are the product of the environment, but a lot of people stand up and say 'I'm not going to take this' and don't listen to what people are saying around them (like Marther Luther King.) IDK if Mae Mobley will be like that but her environment was changing. And her mama grew up in the old ways and, well Mae Mobley will mostly turn out very well, if not just to spite her unloving mother.

Alli Cat of Night Oh and she is soooooo going to need therapy.

message 37: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Sharanda wrote: "I think she will become a combo of the two , considering that Abilene was with her through the precious first years of her life most of what she was taught will stay with her and has already been e..."

I love this response.

message 38: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Michael wrote: "Sadly, I think Mae Mobley will end up a product of her environment. I think she'll have fond memories of Aibileen, but with a mother like like Elizabeth I don't think she stands a chance. But we do..."

We kind of do know a bit about him. He seemed quite aloof. He seemed like he believed that his wife should raise the children and he should go out and earn the bacon. He seemed to only care about the money or hearing his wife’s mouth when it came to the issue of the bathroom for the help in the garage. The other snotty ladies of the group didn’t seem to favor him well. He completely showed himself when he caught Mae Mobley playing “Lunch counter” and when he asked her where did she learn to play it, she said her teacher. By his being so upset by the fact that she was playing this game that he told her mother to go right down to the school the next day and change classes… actions speak louder than words. He told us (the readers) who he was.

Zaneta Amanda wrote: "considering She had a similar situation as Skeeter, I'd like to think she will be fine. Skeeter did have Constantine for much longer though."

I disagree. Perhaps it's because we didn't know much about Charlotte Phelan's child-rearing methods or what she was like when the kids were younger, but Charlotte seemed to be more nurturing than Elizabeth. She may not as extravagant as Hilly or affectionate as Aibileen, but Charlotte is at least present and concerned for her children's well-being. She does tell Skeeter, "Don't you let him [Stuart] cheapen you." Also based on others' accounts and observations, Charlotte actually cared for Constantine, despite what happened at the bitter end. It's clear when she tries to Constantine a birthday check after the Lulabelle disaster.

I'd like to say Mae Mobley will be different due to the changing times and her already strong intuition, but there needs to be something that sustains that fire or else it'll never grow.

Julia I think its hard 4 a child not 2 b a product of their enviornment. I go 2 school & c that all around me. I think that if Aibileen had more time than it was possible that Mae Mo could hav turned out different. But who remembers anything when u where that lil? I no i dont!

message 41: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana One of my favorite parts in this book was when Aibileen told Mae Mobley that she was a smart funny girl everyday. I feel like that might change the way Mae Mobley turns out and maybe she will think better of herself and see the bad in Hilly.

message 42: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee this book could be used in a psychology class debating nature vs. nurture - nature being her mother; nurture being abilene

Scotti Debbie wrote: "Considering all Aibileen’s love, encouragement and education do you think her precious Mae Mobley will turn out differently than the examples her parents, relatives and friends set for her? Or do y..."

I hope she (and there were & are many "she's") can love her parents BUT move beyond their prejudices. That would be the best of both worlds. I think we have come a long way. I am a child of the 60's. But we aren't there yet. There is still so much ignorance and hatred.

message 44: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Dee wrote: "this book could be used in a psychology class debating nature vs. nurture - nature being her mother; nurture being abilene"

That's a great point! I agree, I think someone should.

Michael I have to say that this discussion has been more interesting than the actual book. We really have no idea why Skeeter turned out differently other than the assumption that she went away for four years to school or that (at least I think?) that she was with Constantine until she was 18. I don't know anything about Ole Miss or what type of school it was when she would have gone between 1959-1962.

Amanda Given that Mae Mobley will grow up in rapidly changing times and will be an adult in the 1980s, I can't imagine she could possibly be as racist as her parents, even if she does forget what Aibileen taught her as a child. She might be a product of her environment, but that environment will be drastically different from the one her mother grew up in.

message 47: by Pragya (new) - added it

Pragya There were many Aibileens and even more Mae Mobleys & nothing changed. Then why do we expect Mae to change! Environment evolves, what we think as "drastic" has reached this stage due to a slow & very gradual process of evolution. If the US of A can take a good 50 yrs to elect a Black ( that too only half his parentage is black) President after the Civil Rights Movement, how do we expect an individual to drastically change in the 1960s !

Amanda Brenda (Lansdowne) wrote: "Amanda,
I disagree that the environment is drastically different. I think racism is still prevalent only more subtle as people try desparately to be politically correct. Sometimes it is more ins..."

Graduating from overt racism to a lesser (but still present) form of racism is better than nothing. I'm definitely not arguing that racism magically disappeared in the 60's--my point was just that there's a good chance Mae Mobley's post-Civil Rights Act environment will keep her from being quite the monster her parents were, even if part of the reason for that is political correctness.

message 49: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Pragya wrote: "There were many Aibileens and even more Mae Mobleys & nothing changed. Then why do we expect Mae to change! Environment evolves, what we think as "drastic" has reached this stage due to a slow & ve..."

Change is made one person at a time. One decision at a time. It takes for people to stop following the leader (Mae Mobley's mom), stop worrying about what other's opinions are and do what feels right in their mind, body and spirit! We see examples of this in Skeeter, Celia Foot, all the help ladies who agreed to tell their stories for the book. Change is not this mass thing that just explodes with time. Change is fought and won off the backs of those who decide that the same is not good enough. They would no longer sit down and be quiet but stand up with fear yet resolve that something must change. As we look at every single character in the book, as in life, they are all presented with the regular (the way things are), their realization that the situation isn’t right and then their choice to change or be still. So many lessons in this book. What will we do? When presented with the reality of the way things are do we take a stand, even very small, for change? Do we turn our heads and join the crowd like Elizabeth Lefort? Mae Mobley, even in her youth was given the awareness for change. That is the very first step. If you don’t know that you’re doing something wrong, you don’t feel compelled to change. She was given the tools….

Karen I agree that Mae Mobley will be a product of her environment. Aibileen would certainly have left an imprint on the young girl's life, but because she leaves that environment at such a young age, those teachings will fade away and the parent's ideals will take front and center.

« previous 1