What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Life of a 9-12yr girl, 17-1800's, Fishing town, story about merchants on the wharfs,

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (last edited Jun 29, 2011 03:10PM) (new)

Dee (chick-a-dee) | 11 comments 1700-1800's??? A 9-12yr? old servant girl who lives in, I think, Scotland. Main part of the story takes place in a busy, populated, fishing Town. Working/shopping on the wharfs, for a (working class)family. Story about peasant life. Main character - Red hair??, bedroom is in attic, with her sister who gets sick. .... Moves to the country to work in a merchants house. Small town Peasant life. Town has a grist mill. ..... I read it in the late 70's. If I remember more I will let you know. Thank you.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Dee--you should put more of a description in your title than just YA. Something to help catch people's attention for those non-OCD's out there who don't compulsively read every single post in this group. (Yes, the OCD in question IS me, before you ask)

message 3: by Dee (last edited Jun 28, 2011 12:27PM) (new)

Dee (chick-a-dee) | 11 comments Anna wrote: "Do you know when it was written or when you might have read it? The plot sounds a little Catherine Cookson to me, although I don't think she's considered YA. Does the girl grow up in the book?"

After checking out the Catherine Cookson books I realize I have to come up with more details to persue this book. I read the book in the early 80's and she moves from the docks to a small town that has a grist mill. I'll keep trying. I just cannot seem to get it out of my head. I remember she had long red hair on the cover. (no she is not Anne)

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (chick-a-dee) | 11 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Dee--you should put more of a description in your title than just YA. Something to help catch people's attention for those non-OCD's out there who don't compulsively read every single post in this..."

Your right. Thanks. I'll work on better discriptions.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39315 comments Mod
Dee, are you still looking for this book? If so, you can bump it every month or so so more people will see it.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39315 comments Mod
No response from Dee, moving to Abandoned.