SMF OLS discussion

July 2011 - Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (tangee43) | 93 comments So with sincere apologies to our Moderator, KathBrat, I'm overstepping here and picking a July 2011 read. Kath, anytime you want to step in and take back your group, I'll humbly step aside, but with only three days until July, I thought I'd throw one out there to keep us going.

Unearthly
Author: Cynthia Hand
(though the some online sources list the author as Cynthia Neely,the actual book shows Cynthia Hand on the cover…oh great mysteries of life???)

In the tradition of the Twilight, Vampire Academy and House of Night series, this first book in a new paranormal teen/young adult series features a teenager just learning about paranormal creatures and, of course, involved in the obligatory love triangle. *sigh* However, if you’ve had it up to your fangs in vampire stories over the past few years, I am happy to tell you that this one is vampire-free. Yes it’s true, Clara is neither vampire nor werewolf. Clara is an “angle blood.” Her mother is half human and half angel, which makes Clara one quarter angel…enough to require that she fulfill a God given purpose on earth. This book reminds me bit of the Percy Jackson novels with all the missing “Father Angels” who sired the earth angels with humans, but this series is for teen and young adult women and is more romantic and less adventurous. I’d say it’s a good summer read for young folks and a nice “guilty pleasure” read for mature women who enjoyed Twilight. I’m looking forward to the next two books and betting that we’ll see it as a movie one day.

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Swingle | 69 comments I put this on hold today at our library, hopefully it will come in within the next couple of weeks.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Swingle | 69 comments Still waiting for my library. Vickie, did you start this yet?

message 4: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (tangee43) | 93 comments Yes, I read it. The review in the first post is mine. Not sure if we'll continue here or not...interest seems to have died off.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Swingle | 69 comments Well, we could just move it to the SMF thread. This one must be popular, it's still not in at my library.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Swingle | 69 comments I finished this one yesterday, and I must say, I really enjoyed it. What I didn't like was the ending, it felt rushed to me, as if the author decided that this was it, it's time to start wrapping up here.

The villain wasn't in the book for very long, and was pretty much one dimensional. I'm interested in seeing where the author goes with the next book.

message 7: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (tangee43) | 93 comments So glad you liked it. I find that lots of series are lacking depth and character development early on, but find themselves later. I'm hoping this is one of those series that gets deeper and more developed as it progresses.

Thanks for reading it with me.