Military Readers & Writers discussion

Snow: the double life of a world war II spy

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Madoc (new)

Madoc Roberts | 5 comments Hello all, this is my first post. I joined this group because I have written my first book called Snow: the double life of a world war II spy and would welcome discussion about the subject matter and the writing process. The book is about double agent Snow who I believe was the most important British double agent of WWII but whose story is largely untold. I am sure there will be those who do not agree with my statement but discussing the alternatives might be fun.

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby (zabba2021) | 3 comments Hello,

I am very interested in WWII espionage history, in fact I am going to be writing my master's thesis on women in espionage during WWII. Has your book been published yet?

Without reading your book, why would Snow be the most important British double agent of WWII?

Abby

message 3: by Madoc (new)

Madoc Roberts | 5 comments My book was published in the U.K. earlier this month and is due for release in the U.S.A. in October. It is available on Amazon.co.uk.

Snow was the first double cross agent. In fact he was working as a double agent before MI5 officially started the twenty committee. He set the template for the whole of the double cross system. At the start of the war MI5 were given the task of sorting through the thousands of refugees fleeing Hitler's Germany. The concern was amongst them would be genuine German spies who would try to establish a network in the U.K. Given their resources at the time this was not going to be an easy task. With his access to the head of the Abwehr in Hamburg Snow offered a short cut through this task and information about the organisation of the Abwehr.

The German's thought Snow was their spymaster in the U.K. but through him Mi5 established a method of turning the whole of the German spy network. By the end of the war MI5 controlled every single German spy in the U.K. which has been described as the greatest military deception since a large wooden horse appeared outside of the city of Troy.

Mi5 made many mistakes in the way they ran Snow but they learned from these mistakes and honed their system which led up to the d-day deceptions which saved thousands of allied lives.

It is also worth mentioning that Snow's messages were used to make the first British break through in the German enigma code.

message 4: by Abby (new)

Abby (zabba2021) | 3 comments That is so interesting! Thanks for responding. I'll definitely read your book.

message 5: by Madoc (new)

Madoc Roberts | 5 comments One of the characters in my book is Snow's mistress Lily Bade who worked with him and even became so adept at the code that she became more efficient at its workings than either Snow or his Mi5 radio minder. I traced her daughter who had no idea of her mother's role in the double cross system. Lily also accompanied Snow on one visit to see his Abwehr handler.