Better World Book Club discussion

Group Reads Discussion > The Food Revolution

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by d4 (last edited Jul 02, 2011 09:34AM) (new)

d4 | 109 comments Mod
Jessi has my copy... but don't bring it to me, Sophia! I'm feeling lazy and I've already read it. This is a long book and it's summer. Perhaps you guys should decide on a few chapters in particular to discuss, or to at least skim the chapters that are similar to books already discussed. I recall being especially disturbed by the information on GMOs. It read like something out of a sci-fi horror novel. We're tampering with a very delicate balance! I might crack open his other book, Diet for a New America, soon, because I bought it at a used book store. Then again, I might just continue on this Netflix binge of mine. :D

If you want more info on GMOs, I recommend the documentary The Future of Food. It's streaming free online here: http://www.thefutureoffood.com/online... And it's not boring, I promise.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I have the book on hold at the library...looks interesting!

message 4: by Amanda (last edited Jul 22, 2011 11:22AM) (new)

Amanda | 54 comments I just started on Part 2 and I really like this book so far. I'm getting my "facts fix." I like how he discusses the heathiness of a plant-based diet. A lot of people ask me why I'm vegan and I always respond that it's for ethical reasons. But, now that I think about it, it's also for health reasons too. I guess that's just not my main reason for being veg. I found that interesting. Food for thought. Pun intended.

message 5: by d4 (new)

d4 | 109 comments Mod
Yeah, more recently I've found myself disgusted by seeing people eat animal products on a more health-oriented level. Like "Why are you putting that in your body? You need FIBER!" I'm kind of amused by this development since I never before understood my more health-conscious friends and how highly they prioritized that attribute in a partner.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

We are continuing The Food Revolution (parts III and IV) for August's book selection (as voted by members).

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 54 comments So... where are we meeting for this discussion? :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Uh oh! We had the meeting for this last Weds! We paired it with the Forks Over Knives movie night. I was wondering where you were!

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 54 comments See, I thought it was last week, but I never saw an invite or anything. :( I really want to see that movie! Aww poo.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

It was on the Meetup and the FB group. How do you normally find out about the meetings? Maybe I forgot to post it somewhere?

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 54 comments Here. I can't get on FB at work, but I'll join the group and that way I'll get the invites on my phone. What's the name of the group?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I list it on four Meetups: Vegetarians of Central Florida, Humane Education of Central Florida, Animal Activists of Central Florida and the Orlando Vegan Meetup. I just added you on the FB group, it's under Better World Book Club. Sorry about that!

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 54 comments No worries. I was at the bakery and no one was there so I searched my Yahoo messages and didn't see the invite. So I went home and made mock tuna salad. It wasn't a loss. :)

Let me know if there will be another screening of the movie, though. I want to see it!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Oy! I'm sorry! Here's my cell number for you or anyone else that runs into this problem in the future: 407-860-5054.

message 15: by d4 (new)

d4 | 109 comments Mod
Pfft, Sophia, pfft.