Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Discussions about books > Personal Libraries and Ebook Catalogs

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (last edited Jun 27, 2011 09:10AM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments There is a real possibility that I will be have my very own library soon (and by soon I mean sometime prior to 2012 – I hope). Now that has made me sit and pounder:

Where do I get the good bookcases that won’t destroy my wallet??
What would it cost to put in a library ladder?
Is it really worth it to put in a library ladder???

description

Also, there is my ebook collection. There is no way to display them, lol. I had an idea of printing out the cover art for my favorite ebooks, placing the prints in plastic sheet protectors (or something like that) and creating notebooks. Would that make sense or am I being anal?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol...Uhhh...I think your ebook idea would be a bit much *coughreallyreallylamecough* loooooove you

I've been pondering the same ideas on a library though. I'm converting the two car garage in my new house into a working library. I've never seen so much as a tenth of my 5000 plus books shelved so the thought of a place for them makes me deeply, deeply happy. With that said, Holy Crap libraries are expensive to build...

message 3: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Ha! I'm not lame, I'm just a little anal, lol.

Speaking about expensive: http://www.spiralstairsofamerica.com/...

I'm looking at $2k to put in a ladder. That's a bit much... esp. since I would be doing this in the living room. It'd have to take the whole system down if we ever put the house we haven't purchased yet on sale. :-D

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm just going to end up building my own shelves. I'm a fair hand at interior carpentry. Don't think I'll have the heighth to need a ladder just yet.

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Well, I don't know how to build shelves. I'll have to settle with buying htem. Hubby wanted to make them for me but since he's not a typical woodworker...

...we'd have to buy/rent tools, etc. It seems it would be easier to buy.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Right now, I just have bookcases that I bought from IKEA (and a couple from Walmart) in my library. There are also bookcases in the foyer and in my closet (in the study) and my room. It's nice to admire my books on their shelves. It looks pretty nice, but I dream of the full-blown English library one day. Sigh!

message 7: by Laurel (last edited Jun 27, 2011 10:28AM) (new)

Laurel MrsJoseph,

I'm a bit artsy, and I have a few photo collages around my place that people find cool. Could you print off ebook covers in various sizes, (postage stamp to full size), and use them to cover a canvas or some other object?

I used to work at a University, and collected the stamps from applications we received from around the world. I used them to cover my grandpa's 1940's metal lunch box. It's now one of my most prized possessions. I think of him, and how he wished he could travel, every time I see it. Maybe if you made your own piece of art, it would remind you of how much you loved all of the books you've read?

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 27, 2011 10:29AM) (new)

hmmm...I'd offer to build but I think you'd spend just as much getting them from here to there *sad panda*

I really like those cube bookshelves but I know I'll end up going more traditional

message 9: by Jean (new)

Jean Hontz (majkia) laurel, that's a great idea. altho I'd be more inclined to want a screen saver that cycled through my ebook covers.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Why not go to one of those borders book-store closings and see if you can get a bunch of their shelves on the cheap?

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Laurel wrote: "MrsJoseph,

I'm a bit artsy, and I have a few photo collages around my place that people find cool. Could you print off ebook covers in various sizes, (postage stamp to full size), and use them to..."

That is a great idea! I used to make collages...and a few other artistic endeavors that don't work if you
don't have any space.

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments What about this one: http://www.staples.com/Sauder-Premier...

I could sand and paint it once I get them...

message 13: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Ala wrote: "Why not go to one of those borders book-store closings and see if you can get a bunch of their shelves on the cheap?"

Gah! How'd I miss this?

I think they are all closed near me already. They finished up a couple of month ago...

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I love making collages, MrsJ.

message 15: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Me, too. Especially when they come out the way you have planned in your head.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) How do you make your collages?

message 17: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I like to collect unusual paper, photos, type, words, letters, and sayings. Usually I would just cut out the parts that I like the best and put them together in a (to me) pleasing form. I don't do the painting on top thing - I'm not too good at it.

I admit I have to lay everything out with tape first to see if I like the way it will turn out.

I haven't done one in years. The last one I did I really liked - I did it on metallic green background with all black & white photos. It's two sided so I encased it in glass panels. I never finished sealing the panels (that was when I moved and there is no place for something like that right now).

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Oh that sounds nice.

You are inspiring me to do some collage. I would cut out pictures from magazines of actors/actresses and arrange them in pleasing fashion.

I always wanted to do mixed-media collages.

Do you do any decoupage?

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 350 comments I'm going to display all of my books even if I have to use cinder blocks and 1 x 8's. OTOH, I have seen some remarkable solid wood libraries from old estates covered with carved gingerbread for sale or auction which I would love to build a room around. The best come from Europe. Time to start buying lottery tickets....

message 20: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Oh that sounds nice.

You are inspiring me to do some collage. I would cut out pictures from magazines of actors/actresses and arrange them in pleasing fashion.

I always wanted to do mixe..."

Only once and it didn't come out too well. :-O

I would love to try again. It'll have to wait for more space. I'm hoping to get an art room...but that maybe wishful thinking...

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I don't paint much, but I love drawing and coloring (pencils, crayons). I wanted to be an artist when I was really young. I love doing paper crafts. I started making cards for holidays. It's a lot of fun, and keeps me occupied.

message 22: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I used to be in art school (but its super expensive). I really enjoy creating things but I haven't too much lately.

I'm ok with painting but it takes me forever to draw anything.

message 23: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (last edited Jun 28, 2011 01:32PM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments LOL!

*looks around for the raised hands*

message 24: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Raised hand!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I was never in art school but I dabble. I used to quilt and embroider (after we moved to a new house I never set my sewing room back up and it kinda fell by the wayside, scrapbook, and I still paint (acrylics and canvas). I'm one of those obsessive/compulsive crafters/hobby seekers. The only thing I never grow out of is reading =D

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I uh... I can color inside the lines... most of the time. Does that count?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

*raised hand* My minor was Art. I enjoy drawing and some painting but I'm a far better sculptor.

message 28: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments ☠The Dread Pirate Grant☠ wrote: "*raised hand* My minor was Art. I enjoy drawing and some painting but I'm a far better sculptor."

You would have loved the 3D animation classes that my school offered. I never took any of them (different major) but I was always jealous of the kids who did take the class. Such. Cool. Stuff.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I have Adobe Photoshop CS5 and there's a 3d program on there. *shakes head* Way beyond my ability

message 30: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Jun 28, 2011 06:30PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I take up crafts to keep myself busy, although I haven't been able to teach myself to knit or crochet just yet. I don't spend a lot of money on art supplies, just whatever you could by for an elementary school kid. But I did spent a lot of money getting my supplies for cardmaking. It was worth it though. I love exploring colors and experimenting with different media. I have very little art training, but I grew up loving art, and my mom is an excellent artists. Grant, I think I'd be a total loss as a sculptor. I suck at proportion.

message 31: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments ☠The Dread Pirate Grant☠ wrote: "I have Adobe Photoshop CS5 and there's a 3d program on there. *shakes head* Way beyond my ability"

It was so much cooler than that. They had to do 3D modeling classes by hand creating detailed models. The models were made out of some clay like stuff and they would paint them & stuff like that. From what I was told by students in the class they would photograph the models from all angles to do projects.

message 32: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments So I found this: http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/articl...

While there's no tool list, I see a multitude of items we don't own, lol.

I wonder how much it would cost for someone to build bookcases for me.

Oh!!! And pocket doors! I love pocket doors!

message 33: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 350 comments ☠The Dread Pirate Grant☠ wrote: "*raised hand* My minor was Art. I enjoy drawing and some painting but I'm a far better sculptor."

Sitting on hands. I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, though I can with Photoshop CS5.5 (Mac)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I can't really draw a straight line straight. I can draw curves and stuff. :)

message 35: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Man! I LOVE tools!

I got lazy with this one and didn't have a chance to finish it before class was over - but there is very little freehand used (below) but a ton of tools.

[image error]

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Wow! That's nice, MrsJ.

message 37: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Thanks!

message 38: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I definitely think you should make some art for your personal library!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Geez...all computer tools, no freehand? *shakes head* I could never do that. Awesome. Really, really awesome, MrsJ. Your expanding skill set never ceases to amaze me :)

message 40: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Thanks *blush*

But that's not computer, it was done by hand just not free hand. I used a lot of tools.

I used ummm, a drafting board, a triangle, 3 rulers, a straight edge. I think that's it.

message 41: by Laurel (new)

Laurel It doesn't have to be freehand to be worthy. It took a skilled, imaginative and observant artist to create that piece. I think it's beautiful!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

ohhhhhhhhhh! Lol...I still probably couldn't do it using tools. Freehand I could but drawing tools, both computer and otherwise, jack me up :)

Laurel, I certainly wasn't saying that it had to be freehand to be worthy. I misinterpreted MrsJ's post and thought she had drawn that entire scene using Adobe tools or the such and was duly impressed. I'm no less impressed that she did so with regular drawing tools. Still awesome :)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I can't draw on the computer. I draw better freehand, although my perspective skills are lacking.

message 44: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Grant, not upset at all. I just want MrsJ to be proud of herself. She's so cool!

message 45: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Thank you!

I can admit I took the class twice, lol. The first time it wasn't anywhere near as nice. It was just...there.

message 46: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Oh man. I am SO jealous! I would LOVE something like that. Crap, if he could just design my 1 room library I would be happy. BUt I have been trying to talk my hubby into allowing me extra bookshelves in a family room (if we get one) in a built-in like structure.

message 47: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Check out THIS site! I'm drooling, lol.

http://www.designsponge.com/2010/08/s...

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I get to start designing my library room in two weeks! I'm crazy excited.

message 49: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ohhh, I want a library but I would have to kick out a kid!

message 50: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Sadly, my parents just moved to a house with one fewer bedrooms and didn't put in a library.