Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Discussions and Questions > Romances where the heroine falls for the antagonist and vice versa?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1 comments Hi everyone!

I'm new here (to goodreads in general), but I've generally found the discussions here to be a really good place for recommendations.

So I've scoured the internet for a while but have really been unable to find a romance novel where the heroine falls for the "bad guy" (not bad boy). I guess a profile would be helpful. So this ideal antagonist in my mind would be charming, ruthless, forceful (yes, indulging in rape even) and cunning. Basically I'm looking for a Hannibal Lecter/Clarice type of deal, where the antagonist has the upper hand (or is in a better social position, etc), and despite his wicked way- he ends up with the girl.

Thanks in advance to everyone who responds!

message 2: by Karla (new)

Karla | 1668 comments Mod
I'm currently reading a book like that....

The Silver Devil by Teresa Denys

The "hero" is an indulgent dictator of a province in Renaissance Italy who has no qualms about murdering anybody he wants, and yet he's getting the girl and the girl is slowly coming to want him. LOVE IT.

(It's a pricey out-of-print one, but it's out there online for free. Just Google it. Denys' other book, The Flesh and the Devil, has a forceful hero as well.)

message 3: by Karla (new)

Karla | 1668 comments Mod
Good point about Gray Eagle, Jeanine. Somehow my mind did a total block of that book... :P But he's the same mean bastard at the end that he is in the beginning.

message 4: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Fletcher (speederina) | 131 comments ♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "Yes he is! And the only saving grace for the book too - you read that one for Gray Eagle. Which reminds me that I have the next book in the series sitting there - looking at me."

I tried to read Defiant Ecstasy (Gray Eagle, #2) by Janelle Taylor but it just didn't hold my interest like the first one. They had the stupid beta hero show up in the middle (I hate beta heroes) and it just pissed me off that I had to go through all that crap again. Then there was the cover. Sure, the hero looked like an Indian. An east Indian!